The New Economy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

just bear in mind that the 10/10 sales aren't always a bargain! like if tuna, spam or vienna sausages is on that list, you can usually pick up those things 2/$1 at the dollar stores... sometimes 3/$1. and other items, like the generic hamburger helper or 2 liter bottles of soda, those can sometimes be found at another store for less than a buck.

do you shop albertsons? i know albertsons lets you mix and match!

I think Albertson's moved out of S.E. Texas; I haven't seen one of their stores in years. Good point about the Dollar stores selling those things really cheap though. They sell name brands of most things too. :mgcop:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC
Another thing I've cut back on is scenic driving trips. I used to gas up about once a week and just go for a long drive and enjoy the view.

Those trips are less often, and, I am turnng my back yard into a quiet place to relax instead.

i don't make scenic pleasure trips, but i do frequently have to drive to california... my daughter wants me there for every doctor's appointment during her pregnancy. i've discovered that by driving the speed limit, i can save a half-tank of gas per round-trip.... and that adds up with today's fuel prices!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

I love scenic driving trips. I have to cut back on those too, unfortunately. I also have to drive slower, which is a real accomplishment for me!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

just bear in mind that the 10/10 sales aren't always a bargain! like if tuna, spam or vienna sausages is on that list, you can usually pick up those things 2/$1 at the dollar stores... sometimes 3/$1. and other items, like the generic hamburger helper or 2 liter bottles of soda, those can sometimes be found at another store for less than a buck.

do you shop albertsons? i know albertsons lets you mix and match!

I think Albertson's moved out of S.E. Texas; I haven't seen one of their stores in years. Good point about the Dollar stores selling those things really cheap though. They sell name brands of most things too. :doh:

Yep, Albertson's sure did; one of their old stores down here became a local chain grocery store, but another is just empty and has been for years.

One thing I would say is, pay attention to the prices on items at specific stores, so you know at which store to buy which items. Some things will be cheaper at Wal*Mart than at the Dollar General or Dollar Tree.

And another thing - watch the prices at the check-out as they scan your purchases! All too often lately, I will catch the scanned price being higher - even a lot higher - than the price was back on the shelf. And I call them on it. They can send a stock person to go check. I already shopped carefully to be sure I got the best price; I sure don't want to be done out of all my work by the machine tacking on to the price!

Edited to add: Know where the store has its Clearance racks too. The Wal*Mart down here keeps moving where they place Clearance items, so I keep having to hunt them up again - but if it's on Clearance and it's something you needed/will use anyway, then it's a good deal.

Guest LadyC

would you believe i remember when (in texas), albertsons still existed, as did a grocery chain called "skaggs", and then they merged and became skaggs-albertson? boy, that was a LONG time ago.

i also remember when there were piggly wiggly food stores... and safeway! and most stores gave out s&h green stamps.

do s&h green stamps even still exist?

and what kind of grocery stores do they have in texas now? (besides tom thumb....)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  445
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

I haven't changed a thing and while I pay a little extra it's not so much that I'm going without. I did away with landline phone service a couple of years ago and just use my Pay As You Go cell phone because it's not like anyone ever called me anyhow besides bill collectors and sales people. Internet and Direct TV are bundled on one bill at a discount rate and I've always been one that used coupons and bought store brand items and bulk quantities of stuff like Paper Products, Laundry detergent, ect... So I guess my natural instinct to be a penny pincher actually prepared me for today's world in a sense.

I also shop at Kroger where they have the 10/$10 deals a lot and that little Kroger card is great because I usually save at a minimum $20 a week just by using that card not to mention more and more Kroger's are getting into the gas station business also and you save $.10 a gallon for every $100 you spend on Groceries and you just swipe that same little Kroger card at the pump to get the discount.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  445
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

would you believe i remember when (in texas), albertsons still existed, as did a grocery chain called "skaggs", and then they merged and became skaggs-albertson? boy, that was a LONG time ago.

i also remember when there were piggly wiggly food stores... and safeway! and most stores gave out s&h green stamps.

and what kind of grocery stores do they have in texas now? (besides tom thumb....)

I remember all of those as well as Food Lion, Cub Foods, Winn Dixie, and A&P which I think there are still stome A&P's here and there. Now it's pretty much Kroger, Publix, and whatever club membership place there is be it Sam's Club or Costco as far as your major nationwide stores go.

Guest LadyC

oh yeah, i remember kroger. we have "smith's" here, which is an affiliate of kroger.

hey, i remember winn dixie!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

There are still some Albertson stores in the DFW area. They have done away with the shopping cards that save you on gas, and have gone to the doubling and tripling of coupons.

When I moved to Texas 25 years ago, we had Safeway and Skaggs-Alpha Beta stores. And Winn Dixie just went away in the last couple years.

At the 99 cent stores, I got leftover containers for 99 cents, and they are just as good as the name brands in other stores that are very expensive. Also a spatula that would have been much more, and just as good.

The only problem I have with this is I'm sure all the products come from overseas. One time I asked an employee a question, and she didn't even speak English. That was highly annoying. I'm sure she was illegal.

I'm so smug about always paying bottom dollar that when I find I've spent 50 cents more for something, I'm mad at myself.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I remember all of those as well as Food Lion, Cub Foods, Winn Dixie, and A&P which I think there are still stome A&P's here and there. Now it's pretty much Kroger, Publix, and whatever club membership place there is be it Sam's Club or Costco as far as your major nationwide stores go.

Don't forget Fiesta, Brookshire Brothers and HEB also. Other than those, and the ones you mentioned, I can't think of any others in this area.