• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Some people believe that only faith in Jesus Christ is sufficient for salvation, while others believe that faith and confession/repentance lead to salvation. Still others add baptism and/or speaking in tongues to the list. Others may add something else, such as observance of the sabbath.

I believe that faith in Jesus Christ, by itself, is sufficient for salvation. I also believe that confession, repentance and baptism, in that order, (works) are necessary bi-products of salvation without which salvation is in doubt/probably absent. Of course, confession can come before faith, but that is not required to be saved. For instance, a dying declaration of faith, without time for confession and repentance, is enought to assure a place in the Lamb's Book of Life. But for the average person faith alone, without works (confession, repentance and other good works) does not lead to salvation. What do you believe?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

These are the scriptures that I use to support my position.

Acts 15:8-9 "God, who knows the heart, testified about them, giving them the Holy Spirit, just like he did to us. He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith."(WEB)

Acts 26:17, 18 "

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I believe anyone who comes to the Lord with a true repentent heart in true faith that He is the Son of God, and recieves them into their heart, confess with their mouth shall be saved. I don't think someone actually has to confess all their sins, but just the act of finding true faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior and asking Him into their heart is repnetance. I.E. the dying man, may not have the time or ability to verbally ask for forgivness, just the change in his heart is repentence. Remember, sin is a heart condition that manifest in the physical.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Confession that Jesus is our Savior, repentance of sin, and belief in the Living God.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

After learning that they crucified their lord and savior the Jews asked what they must do and Peter told them.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. - Acts 2:37-39

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16

First comes faith, the comes obedience to that faith. I believe what it says in these scriptures that I need to repent of my sins, be baptized for the remission of my sins, and I shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Also, if I believe and am baptized I will be saved.

Baptism isn't necessarily what saves me, but it is a necessary step that God has required. So, my answer would be faith, repentance, and baptism are requirements/steps.

I would also agree with Brandon's Popo on this statement:

And finally, in support of my position that works must follow faith, there is the roll call of the faithful contained in Hebrews 11:3-31; and James 2:20-26 "But do you want to know, vain man, that faith apart from works is dead? Wasn't Abraham, our father, justified by works, in that he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? You see that faith worked with his works, and by works faith was perfected; and the scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness;" and he was called the friend of God. You see then that by works, a man is justified, and not only by faith. In like manner wasn't Rahab the prostitute also justified by works, in that she received the messengers, and sent them out another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, even so faith apart from works is dead."
Edited by deut31:12

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

First of all a person must know what salvation means or defines.

Salvation is deliverance, by redemption from the power of sin a person's life and from the penalties ensuing from it..So the first thing we have to do, is acknowledge the fact that we are all sinners and in need of a saviour and in my experience, you won't know that until you have been convicted by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Said, come to me all ye who are burdened and heavily laden and I will give you rest. Matt 11:28. What He was saying. dump all the garbage of sin shame and guilt and follow Me and you will be blessed. That's where the H/S comes in and puts your heart to the test. Do I want to live a righteous life in the eyes of God, or do I want to do it my way. If you want to do it God's way, then you have to accept His terms. You have to make up your mind and quit living a sinful life you are living by repenting, by confession, and asking for His forgiveness and asking Him to take over your life. That's an out line, my own, the way I see it. You have to believe and have faith in Him.

If anyone wants to titivate my statement, by adding to it,....feel free.

edited to add; How can anyone expect to be saved if they are not prepared or haven't the faith to stop living their sinful lifestyle. If you haven't the incentive to stop what you are doing, why bother about salvation. There has to be a motive for calling on the Lord and usually self disgust or guilt.

Edited by eric

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Ro

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Grace to you,

Ro 4:3

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Ga 3:6

Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.a

6. a. accounted: or, imputed

Jas 2:23

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Then;

Jas 2:21

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

But;

Ro 4:2

For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

Clear as Cappuccino to me. :)

Peace,

Dave

Very True Dave, but then you can go all the way back to Noah,who also found grace from God and was saved, he and his family. I suppose you could say all the OT saints were cosidered saved by grace through faith, but then God hadn't yet become flesh to make His dwelling place with men.

Not trying to be facetious, brother........I'm a tea drinker :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus asLord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; 1

NASB

This is a good place to start..... Believe that the Father raised him from the dead, and confess with your mouth that Jesus the Christ is your Lord.

That sounds pretty simple until you start to think seriously about what it means to make Jesus your Lord.

Look into what a Lord is and your relationship to a Lord....... it isn't quite so simple then.

Does it take baptism........ hummmmm,,,, our Lord said to be baptized and we must follow what our Lord said, so yes one must be baptized...... do we have to confess...... yep he told us to do that to. Hummmmm, how about keeping his commandments.... yep we have to do that too; what are his commandments??????? Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and Love your neighbor.

Yep we do have to do all these things, but when we confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord, we shall be saved and that is what it takes........ Oh, yes there is one thing, one can't be a liar when one confesses that he is Lord. It isn't that fact that you know that he really is Lord of all that saves you...... it's him being your personal Lord that makes him your savior.

And funny thing is...... it's your decision, not his for just after this scripture in Romans, there is this.

412For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call upon Him; for "Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved."

NASB

So who can make him their lord and receive salvation....... Whoever...