IGNORED

Anyone else noticed the spike in food prices the last couple of weeks?

Shad

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

:laugh::24::24:

Spam Spam The Wonder In A Can

Eeeeewwwww, please say you don't Fresno. :emot-questioned: My hubby loves fried bolony, he calls it redneck steak. And againg I say eeeewwww!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

mizzdy, yes! i remember when they were about twenty cents!

i think the price may have just gone up recently... the walmart market at lamb & charleston is where i paid... i think it was 7.99 this time for the jennie-o peppered turkey. i used to pay 5.99.

heck they used to be the one place you could find bread for under a buck, as long as it was their brand. just a few months ago, they sold their brand for seventy two cents. now even that is 1.12 i think.

We love that peppered turkey too LadyC and I believe it's like 7.99 a pound here. And there bread has gone up to a 1.29 a loaf. Their milk has also gone up from 3.99 a gallon to 4.49 a gallon. And we go through at least 5 gals. a week. 7 kids here.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I hear it mentioned a lot that one reason our meat is getting so high is because of the growing demand in China and elsewhere in the Asian market.

Another reason is so much of their feed (corn) is going to make ethanol.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Shad,

I think the biggest culprit behind the price increase is the increase in gasoling prices. When the price of gas rises, everything else goes with it because everyone uses gasoline to move their product. Ultimately this cost is taken out on the consumer, as is usually the case. For now fast food might seem a viable option, but it won't be long until you see the increase in their prices as well. All businesses will find a way to make up for the extra costs they are incurring, so all we can do is pray and learn to cut more corners in our budgets. God bless and best of luck to you, unfortunately these prices will not be falling anytime soon.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Well, food in Canada is ever getting more expensive as well. Back in January, for some reason I started thinking about greenhouse gardening. I don't know if God put it on my heart to grow my own vegies and food but it suddenly appeared as almost an obsession:>) So I spent 3 months researching greenhouses:>) In April I started looking around and not finding anything to my satisfaction I put the idea on the backburner. Just the other day we had a little extra cash come in and low and behold that very same day it came in on a flyer that greenhouses were 1/2 price! Well, I ended up buying one. I think maybe God is pushing me that way.

Anyway for you folks planning on hitting the fast food dollar menus...don't do it! Why put your health at risk for a few dollars? It is due time that people started growing thier own food though, backyard gardens, etc. I also have chickens for meat and eggs, and will probably add a goat for milk eventually if things get that bad. There is a food crisis on the horsizon, best be prepared.

As Christains we tend to have the attitude that God will supply, and that is not a wrong attitude by any means, but we have to really think about our 'grocery store' mentalities nonetheless. God supplies seeds and sunshine and rain and everything we need to be able to take care of ourselves...just sitting and waiting for manna to fall from the sky or a neighbor to drop off produce doesn't exactly fit when God has given everything you need to be able to help yourself and those who may be to old to garden anymore. Just something to think about.

Guest LadyC

those of us in apartments can't grow a garden though.... so we're pretty much stuck with what someone else grows for us!

those of us in apartments can't grow a garden though.... so we're pretty much stuck with what someone else grows for us!

You have a point there:>) But many of us can, and those who can should start because it doesn't look like things are getting any better. In the last five years things have a gotten out of hand. Even my husband, who usually buries his head in the sand, is starting to think alot more towards self sufficiency. Alot of people are leaving the cities for the country life now if it is at all possible for them to do so.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

heck they used to be the one place you could find bread for under a buck, as long as it was their brand. just a few months ago, they sold their brand for seventy two cents. now even that is 1.12 i think

LadyC,

As kids we used to go the bread store and get the day old bread not much of that anymore at least not around here. I haven't looked at the local bread maker here though but I should! I was just at my Walmart (Rainbow and Spring Valley) last Tuesday and payed 6.99 i think but will look tomorrow, I only shop one day a week since I can't drive anymore. Fried baloney yum!! heck I even eat baloney, peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches! lol My husband won't eat the sandwiches but will eat the fried baloney, I think it must be a southern thing!

I also think those storms are going to give us all grief. And whats up with this ethanal stuff? I would like to know how many of us has seen a gas station that sells the stuff. China's crops as well as others have been destroyed by quakes and flooding so it seems we are going to have to start looking down South America and Mexicos way for more and more food imports.

They sell Ethenol in Canada, have for years...when my kids were little they used to call it the 'stinky corn gas' because it really does smell awful on the exhaust side of things:>)

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

:24::24::24:

Spam Spam The Wonder In A Can

on the serious side, i did see a news blurb that stated spam sales had risen 20%. i guess this is why.

btw, i'm trying not to feel smug when i walk out to the yard before dinner and bring back a nice bundle of lettuce and greens. i'm watching that one green pepper out there like a hawk - lol

speaking of watching like a hawk, when i see a sale, for instance the concord grape juice that was $1.98, i'm gonna grab about 10 jars at least, same with any sales.

time to forget the list, take your weekly grocery money and whatever you see on sale, buy a whole pile of it. i plan to get a winter's worth of groceries before september and hope it all levels out by by spring '09.