• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

this is a christian forum. as such, why do i feel i have to do research before i post a topic or reply to any post? i can tell you that it's getting tiresome.

by the way, i am only addressing persons who have been on this board awhile and seem to make these demands sometimes for the sake of argument. i would not hold a new believer to the same account, for obvious reasons.

we ought to know our bibles well enough that we don't need to write a thesis to back up our viewpoints.

besides that, there is no one verse that can be pointed to that reveals the mind of God. it's the Word as a whole that is powerful in its revelation. so to everyone who demands "scripture, please!" i say do your own homework. :(

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I know the feeling Fraught...I think it is because some people won't blink unless they can find a Scripture for it :sherlock:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.91
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

The problem is that some say things that they think are in the Word, without giving scripture. Then there are those who use 1 verse out of context to try and make their point, while there may be 10 that say just the opposite. I think that has a lot to do with people asking for scripture. When someone makes a statement about doctrine without scripture, then it is incumbent of the poster to provide scripture in support of their position. I have been know to ask for scripture; most are accommodating. But some refuse to provide any supporting evidence but insist that we, the reader, need to go read/study the Bible.

On your original premise, I too feel that I have to be able to list 500 scriptures to justify my position on an issue. It makes me not post replies. This forum is here for fellowship, support, and education. It is not a seminary and we are not all biblical scholars. And as a matter of fact, when topics get to the point that it takes 15 - 30 minutes to read a submission, I don't read it. And I'm sure that there are many here who do the same. Posts like Fresno Joe's are good because everything is short and sweet and right on point. But posts that contain a book of scripture without any commentary are a waste because it is so hard to get the point of the poster. That's my 2 cents. :sherlock:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I know the feeling Fraught...I think it is because some people won't blink unless they can find a Scripture for it :sherlock:

I think its good to be Biblical accountible for what we post..........??

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I am very much big picture minded concerning the word. I need to understand what it means and says overall in order for it to become functional in my life. I also trust the Holy Spirit who reveals all truth to us. Scriptures can help to make a point at times but over the years I have seen them quoted to a destructive end as well as good.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I agree that if someone is unfamiliar with a concept, they should be unafraid to ask for a reference to a scripture referenced by a poster, but I too have been wearied by people who try to draw me into an arguement where more than ten snippets of scripture are thrown at me dodge-ball-style in an attempt to get me to reciprocate. I refuse to participate in such an unproductive pastime.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I think its good to be Biblical accountible for what we post..........??

Ahem!...no argument from me....but sometimes brothers and sisters are overly demanding and challenging about the provision for Scriptures, when the whole thrust of what is being said is rather obvious. It goes without saying that we should be able to back up what we talk/argue/discuss about with Scripture...but if the ref blows the whistle every 5 seconds the game becomes boring. ( ie give people a little lee-way)

Guest Biblicist
this is a christian forum. as such, why do i feel i have to do research before i post a topic or reply to any post? i can tell you that it's getting tiresome.

by the way, i am only addressing persons who have been on this board awhile and seem to make these demands sometimes for the sake of argument. i would not hold a new believer to the same account, for obvious reasons.

we ought to know our bibles well enough that we don't need to write a thesis to back up our viewpoints.

besides that, there is no one verse that can be pointed to that reveals the mind of God. it's the Word as a whole that is powerful in its revelation. so to everyone who demands "scripture, please!" i say do your own homework. :sherlock:

There are those here who do not know their Bibles. And we have to remember that, while they may not be posting, they may be reading. It is in their best interest that we back up what we believe with The Word of God.

Try www.biblegateway.com. I find it's a very helpful, useful tool.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

When our beliefs are challenged, I think we should ask for scripture. If one is not given, we are either faced to accept, reject or do the research ourselves, but at some point, we have to decided if the challenge is valid or not.