• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Why didn't Adam and Eve eat from the tree of Life rather than the tree of knowledge of good and evil if it was their desire to live forever?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Why didn't Adam and Eve eat from the tree of Life rather than the tree of knowledge of good and evil if it was their desire to live forever?

Because God only spoke of one fruit, from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Satan did not have to tempt them to eat of any other tree and it was the fall of man that he was after, to turn them from God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Because they were told NOT to eat from the tree of knowledge. Curiosity killed the cat.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Because God only spoke of one fruit, from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Satan did not have to tempt them to eat of any other tree and it was the fall of man that he was after, to turn them from God.

I disagree and God did speak about both the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. Adam and Eve knew about the tree of life and they could have eaten of that tree if they had wanted to. Genesis 1:20 " Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. Genesis 2:9 "ASnd out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Genesis 2:16 'And the Lord God commanded the man saying, "Of every tree of the Garden you may eat freely. Which tells us that since the tree of life was one kind of tree among all of the other trees that God made for Adam eat from freely that Adam could have eaten from the tree of life. But after the fall God could no longer take the chance that Adam and Eve would eat of the tree of life in their fallen state and live for ever in that fallen state. So God took them out of the garden before they could eat of the tree.

They could have eaten from the tree of life but they were so innocent that they didn't know that there was a need to do so nor did it come into their mind to do so. It was only after satan brought the tree to their attention and manipulated them did they become tempted. Without a nudge from satan they would never have fallen.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I disagree and God did speak about both the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. Adam and Eve knew about the tree of life and they could have eaten of that tree if they had wanted to. Genesis 1:20 " Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. Genesis 2:9 "ASnd out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Genesis 2:16 'And the Lord God commanded the man saying, "Of every tree of the Garden you may eat freely. Which tells us that since the tree of life was one kind of tree among all of the other trees that God made for Adam eat from freely that Adam could have eaten from the tree of life. But after the fall God could no longer take the chance that Adam and Eve would eat of the tree of life in their fallen state and live for ever in that fallen state. So God took them out of the garden before they could eat of the tree.

They could have eaten from the tree of life but they were so innocent that they didn't know that there was a need to do so nor did it come into their mind to do so. It was only after satan brought the tree to their attention and manipulated them did they become tempted. Without a nudge from satan they would never have fallen.

I agree, and I should of completed the sentence stating as you did, that God spoke warning them not to eat of only one tree, the tree of knowledge of good and evil. I should of just quoted the verses ... Genesis 2:16-17 ... And the LORD God commanded the man, saying,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

I agree, and I should of completed the sentence stating as you did, that God spoke warning them not to eat of only one tree, the tree of knowledge of good and evil. I should of just quoted the verses ... Genesis 2:16-17 ... And the LORD God commanded the man, saying,

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

So why is it that everyone assumes that Adam and Eve DID NOT eat of the fruit of the Tree of Life? How long do you suppose that they were in the Garden - I have my reasons, but I strongly suspect about 70 years.

Okay, I believe in the types and shadows of the OT as may be revealed in the NT. Do you realize in the NT, we have a "Tree of Life"? Now tell me, do you eat of that tree once then forget it forever? Of course not. I find myself eating from that tree every day of my life - because it gives life to my spirit. Now don't you suppose that for every day Adam and Eve were in the Garden they ate from the Tree of Life? Of course, they probably had other fruit and vegetables to eat, but I would bet that "Tree of Life" fruit was absolutely scrumptious and nourishing for the body, perhaps as well as the spirit. It may not have been quite as "pretty" as the fruit from the other tree, but let me give you this to consider:

Ezekiel 28:13-15 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

NOW YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HELP ME OUT HERE, CAUSE I CAN'T REMEMBER A VERSE:

In the OT, a verse describes the appearance of our Lord as being uncomely, nothing to look upon, or to take notice of.

Consider those two verses. We see Satan as beautiful and gorgeous and even in the NT it is said he can appear as an "angel of light".

Whereas Jesus in contrast, was not distinguished in appearance.

I bring these verses up because the "Tree of Life" probably was not as beautiful as the "Tree of Knowledge".

In any case, I believe Adam and Eve ate from that Tree of Life as long as they were in the Garden. Once they were removed from the tree of life - this is what is said:

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

So if Adam and Eve were allowed to stay in the Garden and EAT DAILY of the Tree of Life, they would live forever in a state of SIN.

God Bless,

Dad Ernie

P.S. BTW, I do believe we shall see them in Heaven, as God made propitiation for them with a covering - UNTIL the time of Christ, when their sins were paid for, as were all the OT saints.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

In the OT, a verse describes the appearance of our Lord as being uncomely, nothing to look upon, or to take notice of.

Isaiah 53:2 - He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Isaiah 53:2 - He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Thanks Nebula. :)

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Greetings All,

So why is it that everyone assumes that Adam and Eve DID NOT eat of the fruit of the Tree of Life? How long do you suppose that they were in the Garden - I have my reasons, but I strongly suspect about 70 years.

Okay, I believe in the types and shadows of the OT as may be revealed in the NT. Do you realize in the NT, we have a "Tree of Life"? Now tell me, do you eat of that tree once then forget it forever? Of course not. I find myself eating from that tree every day of my life - because it gives life to my spirit. Now don't you suppose that for every day Adam and Eve were in the Garden they ate from the Tree of Life? Of course, they probably had other fruit and vegetables to eat, but I would bet that "Tree of Life" fruit was absolutely scrumptious and nourishing for the body, perhaps as well as the spirit. It may not have been quite as "pretty" as the fruit from the other tree, but let me give you this to consider:

Ezekiel 28:13-15 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Consider those two verses. We see Satan as beautiful and gorgeous and even in the NT it is said he can appear as an "angel of light".

Whereas Jesus in contrast, was not distinguished in appearance.

I bring these verses up because the "Tree of Life" probably was not as beautiful as the "Tree of Knowledge".

In any case, I believe Adam and Eve ate from that Tree of Life as long as they were in the Garden. Once they were removed from the tree of life - this is what is said:

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

So if Adam and Eve were allowed to stay in the Garden and EAT DAILY of the Tree of Life, they would live forever in a state of SIN.

God Bless,

Dad Ernie

P.S. BTW, I do believe we shall see them in Heaven, as God made propitiation for them with a covering - UNTIL the time of Christ, when their sins were paid for, as were all the OT saints.

Very interesting post Dad E! And soemthing I had not considered before. thanks, and I must say it's good to see you back. :noidea::emot-hug: