kross

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

ummm... i'm really lousy at math, so i had to actually look it up. humans have 12 pairs of ribs... 24 total.

LOL. I had to look it up too.

....And I work for a chiropractor!

You work for a chiropractor? Can you give me tips on how to get rid of lower back pain????????? :thumbsup: And OA pain?????

That would be wonderful :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Actually we have between 12 and 13 pair of ribs. It's not always the same in every person.

:rolleyes: Where have you heard this? And how is it possible?

We only have 12 thoracic vertebrae.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I read an interesting post that stateed that men and women were made in GOD's image. I wonder if someone wouldn't mind a slightly controversial question.

Is that really scriptural?

According to all I have read in the Bible, man was made in the image of GOD and woman was made from/in the image of man. Now, this might mean that woman is made in the image of GOD by virtue of being made inthe image of something made in the image of GOD, but is it really the same? After all, men and women do not look alike and the Bible is very clear about GOD being of a male persuation and HIS personification was also in the same male image.

So, is there scripture that states that women are made in the image of GOD?

I know that this can bring out some angry remarks. Try to curb that. Just wondering if there is scripture to back up a statement.

(O, I get the whole "In JESUS there is no male of female..." which is not an answer to this question)

Thanks

Peace

not too controversial. I don't believe God is male or female. now that's controversial. I always remember how he allowed the israelites under moses to divorce BECAUSE he knew they were gonna do it. he took into account their nature when he wrote the rules. SO, He took into account the dominant nature of males also. His entire book takes into account human nature, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

The book Genesis of the Bible tells us that Eve was created from one of Adam's ribs. This made people to believe that men have one fewer ribs than women, this is not true men and women both have 12 pairs of ribs.

Agree?

:rolleyes:

actually, i've heard that the hebrew word for "rib" isn't exactly clear. it means curve or coil. so some say it wasn't a rib God took from adam, but a coil of dna. interesting concept, don't you think?

A rib bone is a curved bone, is it not?

a dna strand is curved, is it not? the Bible doesn't say it was a bone.

Yes it does ...

Genesis 2:21

And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.

Yes it does ...

And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.

hebrew, onelight. hebrew. did you read my first post?

Ohhh ... a tongue lashing!

Strong's H6763 - tsela`

צלע

tsela`

1) side, rib, beam

a)
rib (of man)

b) rib (of hill, ridge, etc)

c) side-chambers or cells (of temple structure)

d) rib, plank, board (of cedar or fir)

e) leaves (of door)

f) side (of ark)

That better?

Oh, and please, allow me to continue so we do get a fuller understanding of the Hebrew meaning ...

The Complete Word Study Dictionary - Old Testament

by Warren Baker, D.R.E and Eugene Carpenter, Ph.D.

page 954

"A female noun meaning side, a side room (chamber), a hillside, a wall. It refers to the side or rib from a side of a human body (Gen. 2:21,22); or the side of an object (Ex. 25:12, 14; 26:20). It may in context be translated as hillside (2 Sam. 16:13). It may have the sense of side (rooms) or side (chambers) (1 Kgs. 6:5; 7:3); or the wing or extension of a building (Ezek. 41:5). It is taken by some to mean side in Job 18:12 (cf. 6761). It refers to planks or boards, building materials (1 Kgs. 6:15, 16); or to sections or leaves of doors (1 Kgs. 6:34)."

Now, be so kind as to show me how you came up with your explanation.

edited to correct punctuations

Yes it does ...

hebrew, onelight. hebrew. did you read my first post?

Ohhh ... a tongue lashing!

Strong's H6763 - tsela`

צלע

tsela`

1) side, rib, beam

a)
rib (of man)

b) rib (of hill, ridge, etc)

c) side-chambers or cells (of temple structure)

d) rib, plank, board (of cedar or fir)

e) leaves (of door)

f) side (of ark)

That better?

please stop the condescending attitude.

onelight, i don't remember where i heard this. i just heard a guy talking about the hebrew language and this is one of the things he said. i thought it was interesting, so i brought it up. i'm awful sorry now that i did. i'm not below you, but i sure feel like i'm being treated like i am. i think your attitude was uncalled for.

Let's see, you did not like how I answered you, which I was in fact answering your remark, "the Bible doesn't say it was a bone", so you asked me if I had read your first post in a sarcastic manner. I was just following your lead.

If my reply hurt you in any way, I apologize for this. By no means was I trying to make you feel "below" me. As for my attitude, I suggest you get a few more layers of skin. I was being rather nice, though a bit passive aggressive, I do admit.

From some of the threads that have been coming up lately concerning such far fetched ideas as to what scripture "may" mean, I just felt it necessary to nip this one in the bud so it does not go on for pages.

Peace,

Alan

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

oh this discussion is so intense... i love it. i agree with Fraught that God isn't male or female... i don't think God has a physical body that even remotely resembles our own.

I also agree with the Hebrew parallelism being the root of much confusion. but i'm only talking about my own experience, and the nagging suspicion that any translation I ever read is going to be skewed by human error.

God is perfect. Humans are not. So God could give humans the perfect understanding, but the minute one human tries passing it on, it becomes tainted. That's my perspective. And as it relates to this argument: it doesn't matter what the scripture says, UNLESS you can talk to the person who wrote that scripture and figure out what they were actually trying to mean when they said it.

The rest of us are left with a milllenia old puzzle that we're trying to decipher, and everything we figure out is skewed by our own human imperfection, which is different in every individual. It makes scripture very sticky. God didn't write the scripture-- God TOLD it to a human and a human tried to use words to explain what it meant. Imagine if a physicist tried to explain mathmatical quantum theory to you and you had to explain it to your friends-- all they would get is a pale shadow with barely any comprehension of the math involved. A parable, really, that YOU created.

The only thing that seems really clear to me is that love is the answer, and God gave us love to teach us this, and all of us must embrace that wholly-- because every time we do, it brings us good things. This is pretty much a universal law of physics I think... its sort of like magnetism. If you love someone, really truly give them love, it makes them connected to you. Even if they don't know how to give love back to you, they are interested in doing so-- something deep inside them is attracted to what's going on.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

Actually we have between 12 and 13 pair of ribs. It's not always the same in every person.

:whistling: Where have you heard this? And how is it possible?

We only have 12 thoracic vertebrae.

You forget about all the random mutations that can occur. No human being is physically right/left symmetrical, did you know that? There are always some tiny imperfections. The arches on the soles of my feet don't match. I have one leg and one arm slightly longer than the other. And that's just for starters. I won't get in to my unique brain chemistry ... :emot-hug: