• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

The researcher of Ida said this:

When asked if the publicity surrounding the fossil was overdone (the History Channel touts the discovery as "the most important find in 47 million years"), Hurum said he didn't think so.

"That's part of getting science out to the public to get attention," he said. "I don't think that's so wrong." Link

This, while his podium says "The Link" which is the name of the History Channel show promoting his find.

Science is no longer solely about knowledge. Science has crossed over into sensationalism in their attempts to get money for their research. They have crossed into bias and opinion, at times outright lying. Worse, they see nothing wrong with it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Science is no longer solely about knowledge. Science has crossed over into sensationalism in their attempts to get money for their research. They have crossed into bias and opinion, at times outright lying. Worse, they see nothing wrong with it.

And that's bad.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/08/1969

Yes, some "scientists" do daft research just to get their institution in the headlines and their name known for next time a research grant comes up! Let's not damn all the scientists that do steady serious work that goes unrecognized because of the few bad apples though, guys...

Edited by martin frobisher

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  830
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

My Grandma really was German. :heart::emot-hug::emot-hug:

Mine too - and her son :amen:

"Lucy's mandible also shows traits of both chimpanzees and modern humans as can be seen in the following image taken from Zihlman's coloring book.

Apes' mandibles show parallel rows of molars as opposed to the wide U-shape of modern human.

Lucy's dentition is a cross between ape and human in that the overall shape is apelike while the canine tooth size resembles that of modern humans.

In the chimp's mandible, we see a space between its incisors and large canine, which does not occur in Australopithecus Afarensis females.

Furthermore, we see a reduction of incisor and canine tooth size more in line with that of a modern human while the molars are closer to the chimps' in size.

The canine, however, is large and asymmetric and projects slightly beyond the tooth row (Johanson, White 1979).

It is believed that Lucy feasted mostly on fruits and fibrous materials, climbing trees occasionally for food (Tattersall 1996).

However, the enamel is thicker on the Australopithecus afarensis molar than on either the chimpanzee or human (Zihlman 2000)."

( http://www.anthro4n6.net/lucy/ )

If you ask me, it doesn't matter how much theory a man or woman has studied and how many qualifications they have. When it comes to putting pieces of fossilized bones together, all it takes is human imagination. , and that human imagination will be greatly influenced by their pre-conceived beliefs regarding creation/evolution.

I simply don't trust what natural history scientists tell us about the fossils and bones they find, whether or not they make false claims for the sake of sensationalism, name, and money. Even if they're honest, their knowledge of theory isn't going to be the only factor in what they decide about the bones they find - their human imagination and preconceived beliefs regarding evolution/creation will have a huge impact on what they tell us "ignoramouses".

For all we know, "Lucy" is an extinct species of Ape.

Edited by lekh l'kha

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I watched the documentary on 'Ida' a couple of months ago. It was well put together and interesting but....I didn't see or hear anything that proved the little animal was anything other than an ancient lemur.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

"Lucy's mandible also shows traits of both chimpanzees and modern humans as can be seen in the following image taken from Zihlman's coloring book.

Apes' mandibles show parallel rows of molars as opposed to the wide U-shape of modern human.

Lucy's dentition is a cross between ape and human in that the overall shape is apelike while the canine tooth size resembles that of modern humans.

In the chimp's mandible, we see a space between its incisors and large canine, which does not occur in Australopithecus Afarensis females.

Furthermore, we see a reduction of incisor and canine tooth size more in line with that of a modern human while the molars are closer to the chimps' in size.

The canine, however, is large and asymmetric and projects slightly beyond the tooth row (Johanson, White 1979).

It is believed that Lucy feasted mostly on fruits and fibrous materials, climbing trees occasionally for food (Tattersall 1996).

However, the enamel is thicker on the Australopithecus afarensis molar than on either the chimpanzee or human (Zihlman 2000)."

If you ask me, it doesn't matter how much theory a man or woman has studied and how many qualifications they have. When it comes to putting pieces of fossilized bones together, all it takes is human imagination. , and that human imagination will be greatly influenced by their pre-conceived beliefs regarding creation/evolution.

I simply don't trust what natural history scientists tell us about the fossils and bones they find, whether or not they make false claims for the sake of sensationalism, name, and money. Even if they're honest, their knowledge of theory isn't going to be the only factor in what they decide about the bones they find - their human imagination and preconceived beliefs regarding evolution/creation will have a huge impact on what they tell us "ignoramouses".

Good points, well said...thank you for responding.

Another thing about all this is, where are the bones of all Lucy's relatives (she must have had quite a few, surely?)

And where are the fossilized bones of all the in-between "Lucy" and human stage and the in-between ape and Lucy stage?

Honestly, if man evolved from ape, then not only should there be, but there would be fossils and bones scattered in the soil of the earth all over the world, and a great deal more should have been found by now. The TOTAL lack of them stands out like a sore thumb...err, sorry...tooth... against all the claims natural scientists have made about "Lucy". In fact the lack of them stands out against all the ape-to-man evolution nonsense.

When I read the information provided by natural scientists such as the info at http://www.anthro4n6.net/lucy/ , I can just feel my IQ points dropping as I read.

Sounds like a lot of nutty monkey-business to me. Makes me wanna go out and find some bananas.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/08/1976

I worked at a place called SkullsUnlimited when I was younger.

As I was cleaning a skull from a chiuahua, I noticed how much it looked like a vervet monkey skull.

So, everyone there believed in evolution. After a while they began to dislike my sense of humor,,

Cause, I told them that people came from domestic dog. And, showed them, the dog skull vs the monkey skull.

They still didn't see how absurd this evolutionary stuff was. LOL

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Dishonesty in the scientific community? Of course. Most frequently it stems out of the prioritization of appearances over actual research.