jesussaves

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

What? I don't see the problem with Harry Potter. It's a book/movie series, it's fantasy, fiction. It's not real. As long as we remember that, it should be fine, shouldn't it?

As for the dirty comedy, all I can say is that, I guess, some of it is extremely raunchy, but some people enjoy that. I don't, so I don't watch it. People have the right to express themselves, and even if it's in an obnoxious behaviour, just ignore it and turn the other cheek.

Edited by BethanyLove

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

TV is just a tool and has no particular message. Harry Potter and the world do. Their message is a message that goes against God, Harry being one of witchcraft promotion.

Television, as well as the rest of the entertainment industry, are "of the world." The only elements that are not "of the world" are those that are of creation or of the new creation. Some would say that television is neither good nor bad. Well if that's the case, then neither the music industry nor the movie industry are either good or evil. After all, there are wholesome shows on television and there are wholesome movies. Yet if these are elements of the world then they contain leaven. Consider the fact that the tree of which Adam and Eve ate was called "good and evil." Therefore, even if something is "good" is is not "of the right tree" in a manner of speaking.

I think you are taking it a bit far, Brother. Looking it through your lens, then everything beside being naked in the wilderness is of leaven. The house we live in, the car we drive, the job we hold, the food we eat. This is a far cry from what the OP is talking about.

Tools are just that ... tools. A gun can be used to hunt needed food, or it could be used to rob a person. It is a tool either way. How it is used is what is important, which bring us back to what you were saying about it being from the inside.

What? I don't see the problem with Harry Potter. It's a book/movie series, it's fantasy, fiction. It's not real. As long as we remember that, it should be fine, shouldn't it?

As for the dirty comedy, all I can say is that, I guess, some of it is extremely raunchy, but some people enjoy that. I don't, so I don't watch it. People have the right to express themselves, and even if it's in an obnoxious behaviour, just ignore it and turn the other cheek.

Where does Harry get his power from? God?? You seem to be missing the fact that witchcraft is being accepted as OK.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

I really like Harry Potter. There no foul language, nobody jumping in the sack with someone they are not married to. It ranks a 9.5 on my scale of good clean films. What I do not like are the shows that teach kids to have sex as often as they can with whomever they can. I liked Buffy The Vampire Slayer until she started jumpin' in the sack with every demon that came along.

Yes, there is some bad stuff on TV and in the movies. If you are convicted by it, then do not watch.

I am surprised you didn't mention the witchcraft. Is that something that we should allow our kids to think is normal, acceptable and pleasing to God?

I agree onelight. The author of Harry Potter got the idea of the character of Harry Potter in a vision. How many authors do we know who had a vision of a character and wrote 7 books very large based on that one character. The way the children read those books is not at all normal. Young Children do not sit down and read a 500 or 700 page book using every spare minute of their time until the book is finished and then start all over again.

Just because there were no sex scenes or foul language in the movie doesn't change the way God hates witchcraft.

Kross by speaking good things about witchcraft and vampires you are speaking bad things about God. He hates witchcraft and/ or anything connected with it and Harry Potter and Buffy are without a doubt evil programs and represent evil that make that which is bad look like it is good. All twisted up.

Please don't be insulted because there is no insult intended but some one needed to inform you that you are looking at the evil of Buffy and Harry Potter exactly the opposite of the way you should be looking at it according to scripture.

Interesting comments, Massorite. I have read quite a lot about J.K. Rowling and had never heard that explanation of how she got her inspiration for Harry Potter. Can you give me the information about that? Is there a site or link that refers to how she got her ideas? My children read many books from beginning to end with the fervor you described - long before HP... they just loved to read and read quite a lot of Judy Blume and Shel Silverstein and others.

I am afraid not. I saw an interview with her one day and that is what she said. She also said that she had studied witchcraft while developing the books and used some of what she learned. She claimed that she never used any of the actual words that are used to cast spells, incantations and so on. However as we all know the principal behind witchcraft is all about self power above and beyond any god.

For some children to read as you have said about your children are the exception. When you have children in large numbers (basically 8 to 16 ) who are willing to stand in long lines for long periods of time who can't wait until they get out of the store before they sit down and start reading. Who will read a 700 page book none stop until it is finished requires the attention span of an adult. But we are not talking about adults. We are talking about children who would rather read Harry Potter then watch TV, or play video games or go outside to play. We are talking about children who would have rather filled their lives with Harry Potter then anything else.

The phenomenon of Harry Potter has since simmered down but I can remember when the media was amazed at how our children were so struck by the Harry Potter books.

Bottom line is that Harry Potter uses witchcraft to do good no matter what words he uses against an evil one who also uses witchcraft to do bad. So which is it? Is witchcraft bad or can it be used to do good? Or better yet can witchcraft be used to glorify the Lord? What does the word of God say about the use of witchcraft?

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Television, as well as the rest of the entertainment industry, are "of the world." The only elements that are not "of the world" are those that are of creation or of the new creation. Some would say that television is neither good nor bad. Well if that's the case, then neither the music industry nor the movie industry are either good or evil. After all, there are wholesome shows on television and there are wholesome movies. Yet if these are elements of the world then they contain leaven. Consider the fact that the tree of which Adam and Eve ate was called "good and evil." Therefore, even if something is "good" is is not "of the right tree" in a manner of speaking.

Well...then I guess Walmart is of the world too. As well as the golf course, as well as a theme park, even...the internet is of the world....egads!!! :)

Just because something can be used for evil purposes...doesn't mean it always is evil. Not all movies, books, tv, music are evil. Not all forms of entertainment are evil. TV in and of itself is not evil. Now certainly there are some things amongst the 250+ channels that are objectionable...but you don't throw out the baby with the bath water. A responsible christian can discern for themselves (most of the time) what is good or not.

Its like saying the entire use of the internet is evil...because some people use it for evil. Thats simply a flawed position to take in my opinion.

Where does Harry get his power from? God?? You seem to be missing the fact that witchcraft is being accepted as OK.

But it's FANTASY... Should we not like movies where dogs can talk, too? God didn't make dogs talk! Insanity, we shouldn't let our kids watch this!

I'm very sorry if I'm coming off as a little bit rude, I'm trying not to, but I just think Harry Potter is harmless.

Edited by BethanyLove

But it's FANTASY... Should we not like movies where dogs can talk, too? God didn't make dogs talk! Insanity, we shouldn't let our kids watch this!

I'm very sorry if I'm coming off as a little bit rude, I'm trying not to, but I just think Harry Potter is harmless.

Yes, and that is the problem. This "Fantasy", as you call it, teaches that there is such a thing as good witchcraft. IT places a seed in the mind of those who do not know Christ, and as seed do, they sprout and grow into it's fullness. I am sorry you do not see this.

BTW, God does use animals to talk at times ...

Yes, and that is the problem. This "Fantasy", as you call it, teaches that there is such a thing as good witchcraft. IT places a seed in the mind of those who do not know Christ, and as seed do, they sprout and grow into it's fullness. I am sorry you do not see this.

Parents should explain to their children then, about how it's wrong and should only be entertainment, shouldn't they? If they're Christian parents they would. And if they aren't Christian parents, then really, shouldn't it not really matter?

I'm 14, I've grown up with Harry Potter. I love it. Agnostic mother, Agnostic/sorta Jewish father. Christian girl.

Maybe that's why I don't think Harry Potter has much of an affect. It didn't on me.

Edited by BethanyLove

Parents should explain to their children then, about how it's wrong and should only be entertainment, shouldn't they? If they're Christian parents they would. And if they aren't Christian parents, then really, shouldn't it not really matter?

I'm 14, I've grown up with Harry Potter. I love it. Agnostic mother, Agnostic/sorta Jewish father. Christian girl.

Maybe that's why I don't think Harry Potter has much of an affect. It didn't on me.

By all means, it should matter no matter if the parents are saved or not. God calls on all to come to Him. If Satan can turn them away at a young age, then he has placed a foothold in their lives while they are still very influential. You see, my friend, Gods own words tell us to not to get involved with anything like that, no matter if it appears harmless or not. His is much wiser and can see down the road, where we can not and are not so wise as we think we are.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

I agree with you 1000 percent. I do see where this and other movies could lead totally un-parented kids to believe fantasy is real. But, I am not willing to except the idea that fantasy is evil and GOD HATES IT.