• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Agreed Rufus, some is literal, some is figurative, some is hyperbole and some is poetic, but its "all inspired and profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instructionin righteousness" 2 Tim 3:16

But keep in mind v 14 where Paul exhorts Timothy to continue in the things he had learned, and this implies a human teacher, as well as 2:15 "rightly dividing the word of truth".

Oh and by the way Jesus was being literal about cutting off anything that causes us to sin, but it is not true that our body causes us to sin. But if you want to blame your sin nature then you really are in trouble. He certainly wasnt joking or being figurative when he advised becoming a eunich if you want to leave your wife, as He was ruling out divorce and therefore leaving her for another. Paul backs this up with his ruling "not to withold sex except for agreed times of fasting and prayer"

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

That is an excellent book. It might be very helpful to you. Some hillbilly churches take Mark 16:18 to mean they should dance with snakes and drink strychnine poisoning. :thumbsup:

That is a very bad interpretation. But I generally take the Bible literally unless I have good reason not to.

Some examples are evident for instance Mark 9:43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched.

Obviously this verse should not be taken literally but figuratively.

A simile is a comparison by use of the words "like" or "as" example The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. [Matt. 13:44]

My question is how can one know what should be taken literally or not? How does one know the right interpretation of the scripture?

Find a copy of "How To Read the Bible for All It's Worth." This will give you a good foundation in the various types of literature that make up the Bible.

Some will insist that you have to read all the Bible literally, especially Revelation. That's foolish, immature and irresponsible and it can lead to all sorts of kooky interpretations, for instance, the many threads here that are devoted to playing "Pin the Tail On the Antichrist."

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/28/1962

The word is actually be diligent. Now the disciples had no bible they had the Holy Spirit and God and Jesus. Somewhere along the line ( 300 years or so later) we decided to replace them with a book. Why is it that they never needed it but we do. The truth is we dont, besides God already approves of me so reading the bible isnt going to make Him approve of me more. Besides we have Jesus and the Holy Spirirt to teach us so why do we need men or a bok, wouldnt you rather learn from Jesus.

In His Love

He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:6-7

>>>>>()<<<<<

.... Besides we have Jesus and the Holy Spirirt to teach us so why do we need men or a book, wouldn't you rather learn from Jesus ....

The LORD Jesus Reads The Bible

And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Luke 4:16-21

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Isaiah 61:1

And Jesus Said "Search"

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

John 5:39

And In The NT

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

Hebrews 10:12

And In The OT

Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

Psalms 40:7

And In The NT

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

John 15:3

And In The OT

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalms 119:11

And In The NT

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 4:4

And In The OT

And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Deuteronomy 8:3

And On And On And God's Kids Need To Feast On His Holy Bible To Grow And To Worship Their God For It Is Written

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

John 4:23-24

Word

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John 17:17

Spirit

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Ephesians 6:17

Yum!

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Psalms 119:160

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

Psalms 42:1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thanks guys for your responses. :cool:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

'FresnoJoe' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:41 AM'

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

Psalms 42:1

So true, Fresno, So true for he leadeth me beside still waters he restoreth my soul............................ :emot-highfive::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat:

oc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Rufus of Cyrene' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:54 AM'

Find a copy of "How To Read the Bible for All It's Worth." This will give you a good foundation in the various types of "literature" that makes up the Bible.

The Bible is not "literature" and should not be compared with "Holy "Scripture." If one wants literature the the libraries are full of literature. But if one wants Holy Scripture then turn to the Bible where every word is God-Breathed and literature is the writings of man.

oc