IGNORED

"The Word" Free Bible software

paul1149

Bible study methods  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main way you study the Bible?

• The old fashioned way - hard copy
    • Web sites, such as BlueLetterBible.com
    • Commercial Bible software (Logos, Hermeneutica, etc)
    • Free Bible software (e-sword, The Word, etc)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Probably many here know of this, but I just discovered The Word software: http://j.mp/1J7gfg. It's free, very well conceptualized, and very beautiful to the eye (important for long study sessions).

It's also young, and it's developer is actively responding to user requests and suggestions, so it should have a bright future ahead of it.

The major limitation at this point is a relative dearth of modules. But there is an import tool for the free e-sword modules and more, and more modules are coming online continually.

I have Logos, which is very powerful but a resource bear - and very expensive. I frankly get more excited about what people are doing in the low-or-no cost area than on the top shelf, since by far most people can't afford hundreds or even thousands of $$ for Bible software. There's also a Pocket Word, I guess for PDAs.

I have no connection; I just want people to be able to study the Word effectively, and I have an aesthetic appreciation for well- and creatively-designed software.

I just saw the Poll form and thought it would be interesting to poll people here. Hope that's ok.

bb,

p.

i had to select three out of four. i have bible software that i use, but i also use online websites and my old fashioned bible. i also have the bible on mp3 that i listen to. or at least i did, i haven't in a long time now. i actually like it best, i need to find it. it is a program where you put disc in the computer, and you can listen and read simultaneously, and it has a reference / concordance search right there in it so you can pause the audio if you need to look up more info. surprisingly, that software was free from an organization called (i think) firefighters for christ. if you email them a request, they will mail you out the software.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I need a hard copy of everything. :thumbsup:

Lady C - I also should have clicked two - both Websites and commercial, but I just stuck with commercial. I use the websites for finding and copying verses to use for social media, but for deeper study or a lot of quoting I use Logos, which segues into Word for writing.

asecretchord - I use hard copy too, and I like the sense of context the page gives, but I use it much less than I used to. Quite a revolution we're living through.

bb,

p.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

You should of had an entry for combination's. For quick references, I use both online and software, but when I dig deeper, I also include a hard copy. So I choose all 4. :thumbsup:

I'm curious ... how many here use an interlinear bible software or hard-copy?

It was my first poll, and I messed it up. I should have specified in-depth bible study and used radio buttons. I didn't know multiple choice meant more than one answer is possible.

I very often use some sort of original language aid, either inline Strong's or interlinear or parallel versions. This is where electronic bibles outperform -along with their defining function: SEARCH! :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

How can you pick more than one when the question asks the "MAIN" way you study the Bible...... you would only have one main way.

When I study I use a BibleSoft PC study Bible computer program.

When I just read for pleasure I use hard copy.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I use E-Sword and love it ..

and I have several "hard copy" Bibles too... only picked those 2...

Right now I am working on reading through the Reese Chronological..

I try not to mix "reading through Scripture"with studying scripture...

If I take the time to study everything I see that is really interesting I would not , in this lifetime, every get through the Bible... :blink:

I have to keep the two separate....(but I jot down lots of notes to come back to.. :noidea: )

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

How can you pick more than one when the question asks the "MAIN" way you study the Bible...... you would only have one main way.

When I study I use a BibleSoft PC study Bible computer program.

When I just read for pleasure I use hard copy.

That is my main way I study, using every tool I have available. To me, that is like asking a mechanic which is the main tool he uses when working on his car. :rolleyes: