• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Hi all! I was studying my Bible last night and was back at the beginning going over Genesis, and a question came to my mind that I couldn't find an answer for. Hopefully others can maybe point me in the right direction to an answer. :D

Genesis 2:17 states:

"But you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will certainly die."

Why was this particular tree planted? Did the Lord know that Adam would be tempted to eat from it?

Jeremiah 1:15 states:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Since Adam and Eve did not come from a womb, but Adam from dust, and Eve from the rib of man, does this verse still go for Adam and Eve as well?

And if so, doesn't that mean that the Lord knew them, and knew they would be tempted by the tree of knowledge of good and evil? If this is the case, is there any indication in the Bible of why it was planted originally? I find the planting of this particular tree very interesting because of the events in mankind that followed because of Adam and Eve eating from this particular tree.

Thanks in advance! :24:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/23/1967

I wonder the same thing about "the tree" and I've come to at least one conclusion so far. There is nothing in Genesis that indicates 'that' tree was different than any other tree in the Garden...maybe it was...maybe it wasn't. I don't think the tree was the point at all. Adam & Eve had to be tested...much the same way Jesus had to be tested. God chose an easy test...but mankind failed.

I understand Adam & Eve had to be tested...but I don't really understand 'why'. I look forward to seeing what others had to say on the matter.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The tree was planted, so that man would fall, so that God could show His ultimate love for us by sending Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.

1Pe 1:20 (MKJV)
indeed having been foreknown before the foundation of the world, but revealed in the last times for you,

Jeremiah 1:15 is about Jeremiah, not all of us (even though God does know EVERYTHING, so He does know Adam and Eve even though they were not born the way we were).

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

The tree was planted, so that man would fall, so that God could show His ultimate love for us by sending Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.

indeed having been foreknown before the foundation of the world, but revealed in the last times for you,

Jeremiah 1:15 is about Jeremiah, not all of us (even though God does know EVERYTHING, so He does know Adam and Eve even though they were not born the way we were).

I'm sure that God would have preferred that Adam and Eve obeyed him and not eaten of the forbidden tree - it brought a curse on all mankind and all his creation. However, he had plan B in mind before it happened, luckily for all of us - the sacrifice of Jesus.

• Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I'm sure that God would have preferred that Adam and Eve obeyed him and not eaten of the forbidden tree - it brought a curse on all mankind and all his creation. However, he had plan B in mind before it happened, luckily for all of us - the sacrifice of Jesus.

Jesus was NOT plan B. Jesus was and is the only plan God has ever had for us.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Hi all! I was studying my Bible last night and was back at the beginning going over Genesis, and a question came to my mind that I couldn't find an answer for. Hopefully others can maybe point me in the right direction to an answer. :D

Genesis 2:17 states:

"But you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will certainly die."

Why was this particular tree planted? Did the Lord know that Adam would be tempted to eat from it?

Jeremiah 1:15 states:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Since Adam and Eve did not come from a womb, but Adam from dust, and Eve from the rib of man, does this verse still go for Adam and Eve as well?

And if so, doesn't that mean that the Lord knew them, and knew they would be tempted by the tree of knowledge of good and evil? If this is the case, is there any indication in the Bible of why it was planted originally? I find the planting of this particular tree very interesting because of the events in mankind that followed because of Adam and Eve eating from this particular tree.

Thanks in advance! :24:

Good questions!

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Good questions!

Anyone have good answers? :D I'm always left with more questions than answers when I read the first few chapters of Genesis.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/08/1939

About the tree in the Garden. I do not believe it was a literal tree. I believe that it was a way of life and that way would lead to the down fall of mankind. I believe this to be a symbolic tree, a spiritual tree. When Satan entered the picture they had two ways to choose from. Gods way or Satan's way. That tree, I believe represented Satan's way.

Ledrex:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

About the tree in the Garden. I do not believe it was a literal tree. I believe that it was a way of life and that way would lead to the down fall of mankind. I believe this to be a symbolic tree, a spiritual tree. When Satan entered the picture they had two ways to choose from. Gods way or Satan's way. That tree, I believe represented Satan's way.

Ledrex:

How is it that you come to this conclusion when scripture speaks clearly of it being a tree? Were the rest of the trees mentioned figurative also?

Genesis 2:15-17

Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying,

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  399
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I wonder the same thing about "the tree" and I've come to at least one conclusion so far. There is nothing in Genesis that indicates 'that' tree was different than any other tree in the Garden...maybe it was...maybe it wasn't. I don't think the tree was the point at all. Adam & Eve had to be tested...much the same way Jesus had to be tested. God chose an easy test...but mankind failed.

I understand Adam & Eve had to be tested...but I don't really understand 'why'. I look forward to seeing what others had to say on the matter.

What made this particular tree different from the others, was the warning that God gave against eating of it's fruit.