• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

1Jn 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

1Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

The conviction i feel when i sin..is this my heart condemning me?... and therefore mean i am lacking confidence in God?

Preceding scriptures say children of God do not continue to sin. Maybe this condemned heart is different from the conviction i feel when i sin,and my heart is not condemned because Lord Jesus is my rock...because i believe on His name and love my neighbour?

I would appreciate views on this please.

david+ :emot-highfive:

Conviction comes from the Holy Spirit through your God given conscience. Your conscience tells you when you've done something wrong. Christians do not live a life defined by sin. That's not to say we don't ever sin, or ever reach a state where we will never sin in this life.

There's an old saying that applies: "An unbeliever leaps into sin and loves it, but a Christian falls into sin and loathes it."

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I agree with Wyguy on this. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts of sin, pointing us back to Christ. If was have self condemnation, it is because we are refusing to accept the conviction of our sin. If we accept the conviction of the Holy Spirit and repent, but still have thoughts of condemnation, it is not of God, but of the devil. There is a difference and we need to understand this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if I understandyour question but may be James 4:17 speaks to it.

Jb

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

1Jn 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

1Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

The conviction i feel when i sin..is this my heart condemning me?... and therefore mean i am lacking confidence in God?

Preceding scriptures say children of God do not continue to sin. Maybe this condemned heart is different from the conviction i feel when i sin,and my heart is not condemned because Lord Jesus is my rock...because i believe on His name and love my neighbour?

david+ :emot-pray:

Conviction comes from the Holy Spirit through your God given conscience. Your conscience tells you when you've done something wrong. Christians do not live a life defined by sin. That's not to say we don't ever sin, or ever reach a state where we will never sin in this life.

There's an old saying that applies: "An unbeliever leaps into sin and loves it, but a Christian falls into sin and loathes it."

Thank you wyguy. Your post makes me feel better about myself.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,272
  • Content Per Day:  4.88
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

As Christians we all still sin, we just strive not to do it on purpose and we seek the Holy Spirit's help in changing our person. If you claim to be a Christian and aren't convicted about what you do, then you need to re-evaluate your salvation. (Not you specifically) LOL

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Here's my understanding:

our heart will condemn us if we have secret, hidden sins. For, if we're living a life of hypocrisy, we know it, and our heart will tell us. We'll feel guilty. And, God knows our heart far better than we do. so, if we live with hidden sin, not only will we know it inside, but God also knows it.

On the other hand, if our heart does not condemn us, if we do not have sin in our lives that we try to conceal, then we're confident when we go before the Lord, because we are walking upright before Him. that's why the next verse says:

1Jo 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I agree with Wyguy on this. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts of sin, pointing us back to Christ. If was have self condemnation, it is because we are refusing to accept the conviction of our sin. If we accept the conviction of the Holy Spirit and repent, but still have thoughts of condemnation, it is not of God, but of the devil. There is a difference and we need to understand this.

Onelight..so if i sin ,am remorseful and repentant i should have no feelings of guilt or condemnation? This means my heart is right towards, and I have confidence in, God?

I will agree with Traveller on this. If you have no sin, you will have no conviction. We repent of known sin, yet, there may be sin that we are unaware of that God is trying to make us aware of. If we still feel that we are condemned, then we should ask Him to point this our more specifically. If your heart does not condemn you, they yes, your faith is greater in Him.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

david+ :D

Whenever we approach God in prayer when we have sin in our life that takes our confidence away from us as the sin condemns us before God to where we can't ask what we will in the presence of God So to get your confidence back you have to repent of sins.

Whenever we approach the Lord in prayer and our hearts doesn't condemn us before him and we have no known sin residing in our hearts this gives us confidence before the Lord. We can ask what we will and God hears our prayers. If our heart condemn us "NOT" then we have "Confidence" toward him.

John 15:7

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Here's my understanding:

our heart will condemn us if we have secret, hidden sins. For, if we're living a life of hypocrisy, we know it, and our heart will tell us. We'll feel guilty. And, God knows our heart far better than we do. so, if we live with hidden sin, not only will we know it inside, but God also knows it.

On the other hand, if our heart does not condemn us, if we do not have sin in our lives that we try to conceal, then we're confident when we go before the Lord, because we are walking upright before Him. that's why the next verse says:

1Jo 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

No one knows the person in the mirror better that than they . . . except God.

We know when we are lacking faith, feeling bitter, or angry at someone, or have felt offended and resentful. Yet our own heart has but a limited understanding of God's holiness and righteousness. If our own heart finds fault whereby it condemns us of sin, be assure that with Him in who there is no shadow or variableness or turning from righteousness, He too see the fault and is piercing the heart in hopes of repentance. For consciousness of sin is like a slippery slime on the rock of righteousness on which none can stand secure. Be quick to repent. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive.