• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

Hi,

Boy, do I have a hot-button topic for today.....I was attempting to make a dent in my living area this afternoon, and I had the radio on...I happened to catch the late J. Vernon McGee, who I have listened to it seems like forever. He was teaching out of Malachi, and boy, he hit a major nerve today.

He started teaching on Malachi 3, which talks about the tithe and the storehouse...and oh my heavens I almost came off the floor. He actually taught that tithing WASN'T FOR THE CHURCH TODAY. Of course, he taught the usual, that we are "not under the law but under grace" but he also said that tithing was under the law and that the CHURCH DIDN'T HAVE TO TITHE, NOR STORE IN THE STOREHOUSE.

Now I love Dr McGee, and I thank God for his ministry, but for me this teaching was just plain wrong. I'm thinking to myself, how irresponsible could this man be, and did he learn anything from Y'shua after he went home???

Yikes!!! I want to hear what y'all have to say....I know I sat there and listened with my jaw on the floor....

a.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

Hi,

Boy, do I have a hot-button topic for today.....I was attempting to make a dent in my living area this afternoon, and I had the radio on...I happened to catch the late J. Vernon McGee, who I have listened to it seems like forever. He was teaching out of Malachi, and boy, he hit a major nerve today.

He started teaching on Malachi 3, which talks about the tithe and the storehouse...and oh my heavens I almost came off the floor. He actually taught that tithing WASN'T FOR THE CHURCH TODAY. Of course, he taught the usual, that we are "not under the law but under grace" but he also said that tithing was under the law and that the CHURCH DIDN'T HAVE TO TITHE, NOR STORE IN THE STOREHOUSE.

Now I love Dr McGee, and I thank God for his ministry, but for me this teaching was just plain wrong. I'm thinking to myself, how irresponsible could this man be, and did he learn anything from Y'shua after he went home???

Yikes!!! I want to hear what y'all have to say....I know I sat there and listened with my jaw on the floor....

a.

The "tithe" is not a NT commandment. The standard of giving in the NT is to give as the Lord leads, or according to your conscience. The only place the tithe was ever commanded to go was to the Temple. There are actually three tithes in the Torah, so if one wanted to be perfectly biblical, one would have to give something like 23% of their income per month.

The reason that the tithe is not commanded in the NT is that the temple was still standing and the tithes were still going into it, presumably. Secondly, the tithe is only commanded to Israel and it was agriculturally based. It was for the upkeep of the temple, it served as the wages for the priests and a third tithe was for the poor and needy. As Paul was a Torah teacher, he wuld have had no basis in Scripture to tell Jewish believers to send their tithes elsewhere than the temple.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I tithe because I want to. Because I know, and have experienced God's blessings in abundance because I do (not scriptural I know - well NT anyway).

And because my church needs money to run it. None of our elders, nor our pastor draw wages, they live off what they earn, so 100% goes to the church for all sorts of things from utilities, to instruments, chairs, and outreach, etc. The only person we pay is our church secretary.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I posted this somewhere else when tithing came up. Its a great two part talk on tithing I think its one of the best I have heard. If we were to tithe like its commanded we would be very busy trying to take in all our crops, etc.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Ah, the "hitting where it hurts" thread. :)

If we all gave as Christ moved us, tithing would seem so small in comparison. This will either be an excellent thread to read or shut down really quick.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

If we all gave as Christ moved us, tithing would seem so small in comparison. This will either be an excellent thread to read or shut down really quick.

I agree! And it doesn't have to be money, some of us don't have any :) , someone to talk to, food banks, prayer and sometimes just a smile is what God wants us to give. We are to give with a free heart, I just don't think we should get stuck on a 10% kinda thinking though.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

There's a fella in my Church that states when asked about this subject that the New Testament Tithe is everything. :thumbsup: I rather agree with him.:wub: In Christ we live therefore everything we've got and everything we are we are to subject to the use of God when so led.

There's a fella in my Church that states when asked about this subject that the New Testament Tithe is everything. :thumbsup: I rather agree with him.:wub: In Christ we live therefore everything we've got and everything we are we are to subject to the use of God when so led.

I would agree with him also. All that I have is His. He allows me to use it and care for it. He can take it away at any moment or multiply it. His will be done.

You are absolutely right (about tithing that is). So many NT folks claim that the tithe is not required. What is not required is a legalistic standard of self righteousness, but the Law's standards still apply (just not the consequences as that was taken at the cross). If someone wants to claim they are free from the tithe, fine. They are no longer obligated to only giving 10%. Now they can give more! :laugh: I would not mind the controversy if the ulterior motive for not tithing wasn't to dummy it down to 1-2% or whatever other pathetic giving those who claim to be Christians do. The age of grace empowers one, not dummies down the Law.

That is the point ... we are to give Him our all! :thumbsup:

All too true. :thumbsup:

Something that has always fogged things for me about this topic is the abuse it has taken over the years. I learned real fast as a young believer that asking about this in certain churches was like asking someone, "Do you want a pay raise?" The ulterior motives were just that obvious. I've used the OT tithe as a good baseline, or starting point, for giving. NT command or not, the Lord always seemed to bless it. There have also been times when I had so little to live on that I could not give that much or the rent wouldn't get paid -- the Lord still blessed.