IGNORED

Is Acquiring The Holy Spirit equivalent to being Born Again?

oak

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

When you accept Christ, He sends his Spirit to be with you always. When His Spirit is with you, the follow will begin:

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The two are inseparable.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Yes, I quiet agree.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

First of all I have confessed Jesus Christ as my personal Savior who died for my sins on the cross and was resurrected on the third day. I met many people who have confessed Christ. But here is where I start wondering. Some Christians in my opinion don't show a regenerated heart and mind. Meaning their lifestyles go on as before. Most of my friends are very successful Christians. And speaking to one of my most successful friends, recently, who is a believer, I asked how he was doing spiritually? He told me between Wall Street and his family he doesn't have time to think about himself period. He's a good person, but doesn't even think where he stands with God. Or do you guys feel once he confessed Christ I shouldn't be concerned. Many Christian acquaintances are leading a bit of decadent lifestyle, without a doubt about their salvation, again I'm not judging, I'm just concerned.

I feel that one's Christianity should be reflected in your life. Aren't we supposed to be slaves of righteousness? (Rom 6:19). Maybe Im wrong but with a regenerated heart and mind and having the Holy Spirit shouldn't you experience and see change? I know nothing we do can merit salvation, but don't our actions show how much we indeed love Christ? Shouldn't our faith get stronger? Sometimes I feel that there is an attitude in our time, that we should let God grow the good in us and don't worry about putting any effort or thought in terms of striving for God. I'd like Christians to share their struggles or their perfected state. I sometimes feel like the rich man who approached Christ who indeed obeyed God's Commandments but couldn't sell all he had and follow Him. Do I love Christ more than anything in the world? I feel I may fall short on that account due to my deeds and desires. Am I just overly sensitive?

Oak

PS Thank you, for all your posts!

I know this thread is a month old but......

Yes, you should experience & see change. When we accept Jesus & the Holy Spirit comes to live in us, our spirits are reborn. I believe we then have things we need to do to grow & mature. A few are listed below;(emphasis mine)

we need to sacrifice our will & renew our mind:

Romans 12:1,2~ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may demonstrate what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.

we need to take dominion over sin & yield to God

Romans 6: 12,13 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness.

we need to put on the armor of God:

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Notice these things are the responsibility of each individual to do. They are not 'automatically' ours, but we have been given the Holy Spirit to teach us & to guide us in the doing of these things.The power of our God is within us to work in us to bring about our maturity, but we have to yield ourselves to Him for it to be accomplished.

When I was first saved, my understanding was that I just had to ask Jesus in & that was it, so I continued living pretty much as before. I was a 'good' person before, but now I was a 'good' saved person. Once I started really reading His Word & working on hearing Him, I realized that this is a relationship that we are called into & I had responsibilities too.

As I grow in understanding the love of God for us my love for Him grows & I desire more & more to do His will. I want to be the vessel that the Christ in me manifests His love through & I have to keep my 'flesh' in submission for that to happen. The more I renew my mind with His Word, the easier it becomes to control my 'flesh', but I have to put forth the effort to maintain my side of the relationship.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

You use Mark 16:17 as a verse about everyone speaking in tongues....... have you tried the snakes and drinking the poison yet????

There In the matter of two or three witnesses shall every word be established (2Corinthians 13:1.) If it happens 2 or 3 times in the bible then the matter is established, If I can find at least two accounts where people spoke in tongues when they received the Holy Ghost then the matter will be established that when you receive the Holy Ghost you speak in tongues as the initial sign. 1. (Acts 2:4) 2. (Acts 10:46 [they knew they received the Holy Ghost because they spoke in tongues]) 3. (Acts 19:6) I have given you three witnesses to establish the matter. If you do not believe then that is up to you.

Nope he cannot, because this is what he said?

I have no spoken in tongues concerning the gift of speaking in tongues yet. Just like I have had initial faith to come to God, but I have not had the gift of faith yet (1Corinthians 12:9)

Can you not see how retrospective that argument is? How can you have the Holy Spirit living in you, and have not faith?

What I meant was that I have spoken in tongues as the initial sign of receiving the Holy Ghost, but I do not have the gift of tongues, they are different in function. Just like I have had the initial faith I need to come to God, but I do not have the supernatural gift of faith to carry out a work(1Cor 12:9) the initial sign and the gift of faith, and of tongues are the same in essence but different in function. The initial sign of tongues is your spirit identifying with they Spirit, that you are the child of God. Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:6; Romans 8:16. The gift of tongues is for the edification of ones self 1Corinthians 14:4. Initial faith is so that you can come to God, but the supernatural gift of faith is to carry out a work of God.

I believe we receive the Spirit of God when saved. There is also an occurrence of being filled or baptized in the Holy Spirit, to where the ability speaking in tongues comes into effect.

I wish I had the gift of faith to believe ALL of Mk 16:17,18 . My mind won't allow me to have the faith to believe the snakes and poison thing and probably will die because of my unbelief. Most Christians don't believe a lot of scriptures by faith because of a carnal mind. I believe like you in Corinthians that Paul had all of the special supernatural gifts because of of the evidence in the NT.

Simply

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:11-13

Jesus

That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:12-14

Or Not

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-17