• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  01/25/1945

In the past 20+ years I have encountered an incredible number of positions on the matter of Hell. The Jehova

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

There are three different things that are translated hell in our english bibles which can make the word hell a bit confusing.

One has to look into the original language to know if it's speaking of that place where the angels are being kept till judgment Tartarus, or the Gehenna hell fire where the devil and his false prophets are going to be thrown, and the other hell is simply the grave, or the death we experience up to or until the white throne judgment as I understand it.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

I read a paper on this subject called: UNCONDITIONAL IMMORTALITY OR RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD (Is "The Wages Of Sin Death" Or "Eternal Life With Torment In Hell") by William Robert West.

His teaching looks at the original Hebrew/Greek and challenges the very idea of a seperate human body and soul. He maintains that the ressurection and heaven are not some ghostly thing but are a concrete physical reality.

Hell for this author becomes a place of eternal destruction and death as opposed to some sort of miserable eternal life.

It has given me quite a bit of food for thought.

Heres a link: http://robertwr.com/

Edited by Anguspure

I am so very sorry that neither of you have understood what was said in the OP. The lack of contextual understanding is incredibly rampant in the X and the Y Generations, as they call themselves, but this post was about understanding other Christians before we jump in and show the lost man how stupid we can be. Now, as for another persons thoughts on the reality of Hell, what a silly and ungodly pursuit. I gave you scripture and you have given me, what for the lack of a better tag, appears to be crafted by the Catholic Church with their Traditions that equal or supersede the authority of scripture. It really does not matter what I nor you nor any other person thinks! God has had a recorded record for us to study and to know, not guess or to allow somebody else to dictate our thoughts and beliefs.

Every human being on this planet has access to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit the very moment they make Jesus their Master and their Savior. From that moment forward it is our duty (Rom. 12:1) to follow and to learn from the Holy Spirit as He teaches us. No man, not I nor any other, is able to over rule the truths taught to us by the Holy Spirit through our study of the scriptures.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I learned not to long ago how the translators of the Bible came up with "hell" to describe Satan's layer (so to speak). Hell was like the junk yard/dump outside of their towns and the translators thought that was an excellent word to use for Satan's layer. I don't know how true this is, can anyone add to it?

I learned not to long ago how the translators of the Bible came up with "hell" to describe Satan's layer (so to speak). Hell was like the junk yard/dump outside of their towns and the translators thought that was an excellent word to use for Satan's layer. I don't know how true this is, can anyone add to it?

That would be a point that I have never examined and Iḿ at a loss for that point. Maybe one of the others will know.

For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell,

and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. Deuteronomy 32:22

That would be a point that I have never examined and Iḿ at a loss for that point. Maybe one of the others will know.

Well

As Always

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. Mark 9:47-48

The Master Is Spot On

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. Luke 16:23-24

See

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell,

and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. Deuteronomy 32:22

Well

As Always

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. Mark 9:47-48

The Master Is Spot On

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. Luke 16:23-24

See

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

You posted some good scripture Brother Joe, but I was asking about how they came up with the name for hell in their translations. Not that it is important to know, just a bit of trivia.

Just imagine, two translators sitting in a room.

Translator A-- What is one name we can come up with for "Fire and brimstone"?

Translator B-- I don't know, but it sounds like the hell (The dump) outside of town.

Translator A-- That's it!

Translator B-- I'll write it down before I forget how to spell it.

I know, I know, Oldzimms imagination is running wild. :24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Yes, God is love; God is a righteous God, and He is a just God,and its not His will that anyone should perish,or that anyone should turn away from Him;but man is given free will.

Perhaps they did not understand the point of the OP because there really isn't one. You say alot but don't really make a point beyond basically saying that the majority of "Christians" are stupid.

Poof! and another one bites the dust. Education is a remarkable thing, particularly when one is taught comprehension. When that one gem is lacking in the main stream education system the nation falls, in less than two generations, from second in the Industrialized Nations to around thirtieth To you. again, Iḿ sorry your education lacked the effect of having given you the ability to digest what you have read, that by the way, is written on the Fifth Grade Level of my youth, sad. And that followed by the cork-screw accusation that I called Christians stupid. No, I call most of you inexcusably under-educated.

I entered the US Army at seventeen with an eighth grade education and maxed my GED test. Having a rather high IQ but only an Eighth Grade Education I took courses every time they were available to further educate myself. When you get right down to it I called nobody stupid, you did that. Why, feeling guilty?

That is not really going to get people to consider the point of your post, whatever it was. All I got out of it is that Hell, eventually, ends up in the Lake of Fire, a point that I believe most evangelical Christians already know.

Well, if youĺl spend a small amount of time reading extra-biblical publications youĺl soon discover that there is a rift of great proportion over the subject with the majority having chosen to deny that Hell is real in spite of the Word of God. But, then, at this moment, Iḿ hard put to believe that you are in touch with the happenings around you and you have not given me any reason to believe that you even do you daily Bible reading, let alone a Christian magazine or news sheet. And then you have told that tall one about me calling folks stupid... have you examined you fruit lately?

Beyond that, all I got was an overwhelming impression that you believe yourself to be a great deal smarter than everyone else. And out of the above post all I got was an overwhelming impression that you are aloof and rude.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, try being objective and go back and read your post! ...what was that old American proverb... something about a black pot?