~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I feel slightly bemused when people ask 'do you attend church'. I feel it's the wrong question. The real question is - are you a member of the body?

I am not too concerned by whether people get their name ticked off on a Sunday, I want to know where their heart is, are they an active member of the local body, are they accountable to others, do they sit under teaching, do they encourage others and receive encouragement?

When did "church" become three songs, a sermon, a prayer, a closing song, and if you are lucky a cup of tea before you leave?

Going to church should be a natural expression of our membership in the body, not motivated by an obligation to be attend but desire to participate in what He is doing and mutually and publically enjoy His greatness.

I sense there are a lot of Christians who don't turn up on a Sunday but are active for Him in the body, and a lot of people who do turn up on Sundays who really aren't active in the body. Am I wrong or is Sunday attendance really the wrong question?

:wub:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1993

Am I wrong or is Sunday attendance really the wrong question?

I suppose it is your motive behind the question as well as who you are asking. :)

I suppose it is your motive behind the question as well as who you are asking. :)

There's nothing wrong with sunday attendance. It just isn't the whole deal. My motive comes from a desire to be in His body and seeing Him work :wub: and personal circumstances mean Sunday mornings I can't go where I want, but I'm loving seeing His body in action at work in our local prayer meeting. He's alive :101:. I just want to boogy tonight :dance:. He fills my life with joy :heart:.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/16/1993

There's nothing wrong with sunday attendance. It just isn't the whole deal.

You refer to others treating church as more important than prayer, fellowship, and/or devotions?

Yes, i agree - And althought these do not make one a Christian, we must not forget - these are all fruits.

And if we see that these fruits are not evident in someone's life, we must pray for that individual, not go around tearing them down.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Saved2Serve

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

:My grandmother used to tell me that where/what you attend Saturday night has more to do with where you spend eternity than does Sunday Morning.... I tend to agree with her. Too many people think Sunday Morning is what's important, and in reality it's how we live our whole lives.

You refer to others treating church as more important than prayer, fellowship, and/or devotions?

Yes, i agree - And althought these do not make one a Christian, we must not forget - these are all fruits.

And if we see that these fruits are not evident in someone's life, we must pray for that individual, not go around tearing them down.

Hmm maybe I am expressing this wrong. I mean that church attendance is not the be all and end all, and I think the concept would have been strange in the early church. I think the essence of being part of His body is 'community', not just attendance. Make sense?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

Hmm maybe I am expressing this wrong. I mean that church attendance is not the be all and end all, and I think the concept would have been strange in the early church. I think the essence of being part of His body is 'community', not just attendance. Make sense?

I think so. Are you saying that a particular gathering of people on Sunday morning should not be our focus. That should be Him alone. Our hearts should be where He is, we should live our lives as He would have us to, not any particular gathering of people, but in ministering to the true Body.

It saddened me once when I went to speak with my pastor at the time about some concerns I had. The concerns were such that I was praying about leaving that particular fellowship.

I don't remember the whole conversation apart from one statement he made. It was so disappointing and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

We were discussing church growth and he said something along the lines of "this church has seen more baptisms than any other church in ----------- County. I'm pretty certain there must have been tears in my eyes when I asked him "where are all those people now?"

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I can only speak of my own experience, but when I finally (after many years of being "under conviction) gave my heart to the Lord, I wanted to be around His people. That meant in part attending church services.

I've been fortunate in the 30 or so years that I've been a Christian in that I've never looked at attending church services as a "duty". Something to be marked off on a checklist. Rather, I've been blessed in that I look forward to attending church.

I draw strength from the music, the message and the fellowship. If the day were ever to come where for some reason I couldn't attend, I know that I would greatly miss it. There would be a void in my life.

Most of us are social beings, so it makes sense that if we truly belong to Him then we should enjoy being around His people. But on the flip side, I don't believe we can be legalistic about church attendance, either.

Blessings!

-Ed

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

No, I don't think you are wrong.

Church was meant to be an organism, not an organization.

No, I don't think you are wrong.

Church was meant to be an organism, not an organization.

Exactly. :thumbsup: