• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The babbling of today...

Why is there an insistence to claim that what happens today is babbling?

I meant no offense. But, it sounds like babbling to me.

I dunno, who is to say that it isn't a language we just don't know of?

Then it would be babbling, because there should be an interpreter? Well we would atleast say it is not edifying.

If done in public and not interpretted, yes.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

For those of you in tongue speaking congregations, if someone is speaking tongues during church, and there is no interpreter, does your church ask them to be quiet as according to scripture?

Jade, in the AoG's that I attended when I was looking for Christ's true church, there would always be someone who would speak out and do the interpretation. I personally have wittnessed people making notes through out a sermon and when someone spoke a tongue, use those notes to do the interpretation. it always bothered me when that happened.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

When we look at the list of gifts, the invisible gifts seem to be the hardest to verify. Healing and miracles can be verified within the physical realm, for the most part, though sometimes this works within a persons spirit or a spirit of a body of believers. Wisdom, knowledge and prophecy can be discerned over time. Faith and discerning of spirits, like tongues, are hard to verify, if it were not for the witness of the Holy Spirit.

As with everything in Christ, it takes faith to walk in Him. It cannot be stressed enough to have a close relationship with Christ so we can hear Him speak to us concerning these gifts. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I truly believe gifts can be mistaken, coming from the flesh and not from the Spirit. This means that people "believe" they possess certain gifts because they "believe" they have them instead of receiving them through His righteousness and through His Spirit. We read that we are to seek the greatest gifts, and this is true. Yet, some people take it upon themselves to manifest them within themselves, and these false manifestations are evident when His Spirit checks our spirit when we witness them.

When this happens, I never question the heart of the one, but can't help but remember when I have stepped ahead of His Spirit and was working from the carnal nature instead of the Spirit. Though the gifts do operate within His body, as with all things, we need to wait upon the Lord to be given what He wills to give us and not "step out in faith" and take what is not ours to take, which is what has happened in certain circumstances. How many, only He knows. Again, this does not diminish the gift or the person who is in the wrong. It means that they wanted a piece of God in the Spirit so bad, they convinced themselves of something that is not true. It happens to all of us now and then.

Instead of tearing a person up, of denying the gift all together, try to understand that the Holy Spirit gives according to His will, not according to our will. There is a big difference.

God Bless ...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,195
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is a most interesting dilemma for the Church of our Lord! So as not to add to the already stated I would like to say this...

Even though there are many issues to deal with- this one stands out to me. God in the Word instructs us from our reason and understanding the truth of eternity in His Son. Christ said Jn 18:37-38 His purpose into this world was to direct His to truth. Pilate was only able to speak truth (not know it) even when he had examined the Lord "no fault in Him" but also "what is truth"... In all this we reason and seek the Mind of God in all that we are found in the living of now- therefore- I am not given resource to answer for that which is outside of reason "unknown" and who is but God! So if The Word became flesh and all people (saved and unsaved) will give an account of every word spoken for within all words is either life or death... Where does tongues of this day fit into these truths? and more importantly where do they cease knowing The Word of God in The Person of Jesus Christ never ceases. Love Steven

Guest Butero

My option is not available.

I beleive the diverse tongues spoken of in scripture were diverse earthly languages. Paul spoke in diverse tongues so he could preach to diverse peoples. The babbling of today has no basis in scripture.

There are a couple of problems with this. First of all, those in the upper room were speaking in tongues before they left the upper room. They were not preaching to anyone at that point. In addition to earthly languages, Paul spoke of speaking in the language of angels. We have no reason to preach to angels. There is nothing in scripture to indicate that speaking in tongues has ceased. We are told it is for your children, and your children's children, and as many as the Lord will call.

I would have liked an additional choice to the second question. I would have voted very important, but not necessary to be saved. Instead, I had to vote somewhat important.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

For those of you in tongue speaking congregations, if someone is speaking tongues during church, and there is no interpreter, does your church ask them to be quiet as according to scripture?

Jade, in the AoG's that I attended when I was looking for Christ's true church, there would always be someone who would speak out and do the interpretation. I personally have wittnessed people making notes through out a sermon and when someone spoke a tongue, use those notes to do the interpretation. it always bothered me when that happened.

It would bother me too.

Now what would be very interesting is for a church, any church, to put the notes together if two are more are interpreting, and see if they concur. If they do, that must be the Holy Spirit. If they don't, who knows?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

It would bother me too.

Now what would be very interesting is for a church, any church, to put the notes together if two are more are interpreting, and see if they concur. If they do, that must be the Holy Spirit. If they don't, who knows?

I think alot of experimentation goes on in many groups of Believers as they seek to pursue the things of the Spirit....sometimes there is an over-emphasis on one thing or another, and often some giftings are seen as a sign of maturity or character, when in actual fact a person is merely displaying a gift from G-d that they have been given or exercised in.

I have seen and even participated in excesses that were done in the name of the Spirit but in hindsight were manifestations of the flesh...most were done in ignorance. I have spoken to pastors who worked in Solomon Islands, and sometimes a person would get up, take a bit of chalk and write gobbledegook scribbles on a black-board, then another would get up and write the interpretation...interesting eh!

Tongues is of the utmost benefit in private devotions, and I am so grateful for this utterance gift in personal edification...but I don't believe it has a place in the congregation, and I do not sing in tongues anymore when I know Unbelievers are present. I don't think we fully understand all the giftings and their application and use, so there are bound to be curiosities that are evident....we have fairly broad guide-lines in the Bible glued together through love.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

There were about 120 gathered together (if we add Acts 1:15 with Acts 2:1) when the Holy Spirit fell on them, and they all spoke in other tongues (languages). When the people outside spoke in amazement about this, they mentioned 16 languages are mentioned.

So either the 16 languages were divided between the 120, or up to about 104 languages were being spoken that were not mentioned.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

There were about 120 gathered together (if we add Acts 1:15 with Acts 2:1) when the Holy Spirit fell on them, and they all spoke in other tongues (languages). When the people outside spoke in amazement about this, they mentioned 16 languages are mentioned.

So either the 16 languages were divided between the 120, or up to about 104 languages were being spoken that were not mentioned.

...Or something that is seldom considered...two things occured...the guys spoke in other tongues, but a supernatural phenomena took place through the unction of the Holy Spirit which enabled every person gathered there to hear what was being spoken in his own language...this would rule out many logistical problems and the idea of a babbling mass of confusion. It also seems to be the only recorded incidence of such an occurance.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

...Or something that is seldom considered...two things occured...the guys spoke in other tongues, but a supernatural phenomena took place through the unction of the Holy Spirit which enabled every person gathered there to hear what was being spoken in his own language...this would rule out many logistical problems and the idea of a babbling mass of confusion. It also seems to be the only recorded incidence of such an occurance.

I agree, because v 13 the ones mocking could not pick up at least one of the "languages" spoken?? I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but I can recognize foreign languages when spoken around me.