• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Randy Stonehill had one good album then got steadily flakier. I prefer Larry Norman.

Phil Keaggy is an incredible guitar player but he usually has about 1 good song per album. I like several newer bands better than any of these, including the Newsboys, Brandon Heath, and Matt Mahrer.

What do you think if these guys?

I was trying to bring up bands and musicians from their era.

I was an 80's teen, so the 80's Christian music is still my favorite.

The ones you mentioned are good (although I'm still getting used to "the Newsboys" not having an Aussie accent!). Of the newest artists, I've gotten into Misty Edwards, Rick Pino, Jesus Culture and the like more than the mainstream Christian artists.

I do like Petra, the Newsboys, Steven Curtis Chapman, MercyMe

But some of my favs. are Kirk Franklin, and for awesome worship, Karen Wheaton

Some good music being made in praise of God :D

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Shouldn't this discussion be split and moved to the Music forum?

Sure OL.

Though it does make a nice aside from the sometimes acrimonius discussion ;)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

If you want I can split it for you off to the General discussion. The new music forum, is for music videos.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

It appears that the discussion of music is diffusing the heated discussion on denomination. Nobody by myself has been bothered by the hijack, so let it be ... thanks.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It appears that the discussion of music is diffusing the heated discussion on denomination. Nobody by myself has been bothered by the hijack, so let it be ... thanks.

I was going to say something similar.

Having a pleasant chat with chester about music was a refresher.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Check this out from Danielle Rose. (warning: a Catholic artist :) )

http://new.music.yahoo.com/danielle-rose/tracks/crown-of-thorns--175332249

I like the music style! Are all her songs like that?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,268
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

she has a lovely voice.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

:emot-handshake: Smalcald, To yours is all I have time to read on this post today and I think more than anyone before you you hit the nail on the head the best as an answer to the poster. Maybe we could replace the word "denomination" with division (of the original Body of Christ) as that is the context of the poster's question. Paul was even dealing with divisions of the early Body of Christ (church if you will) in I Cor, I believe, and elsewhere. I believe, as Paul described, that it is primarily a pride thing. On one hand you have people who just won't yield total submission and must have some control (starting with Eve and Adam and the fruit) and you others who must be the one in a position to control others and/or have an inflated image of themselves and abilities. Rather than getting into history lessons and legalistic debates of word's and definitions, the answer is more base and simple, I believe. Just look at the anwers thus far and see the pride eminating from the responses over who is right or wrong-which way is the "real" Way with all the subtile attacks and elaborate "qualifiers" and defenses. Pride. I am sorry but I forgot your username poster but please read Ro 14:1-15:7 and you'll see one of Paul's answers to church division.

Some denominations differ more than others. But the vast majority of Christian denominations including Catholics and Eastern Orthodox agree on the major essentials of the faith and Christian living.

Yes there are some major differences, but the agreements are larger than the differences. Until we are truly united as one, I don't see the advantage of self identification as a denomination first and a Christian second. The way forward is how we identify ourselves, we are all followers of Christ first and are all united within that faith first. Would it be better if we were all one in one Church with a total unity of belief? Yes.

I am not sure how to get there from here though. We could as Chesteron and the Catholic Church suggests simply become Catholics and there is historical precedent for that or we could try to convert all other Christians to our particular branch or we could gloss over our differences and simply pretend that being non-denominational is being unified which I don't think is correct. I think we should focus on what we agree on as first and foremost Christians, then worry about our differences and the differences are real, but I don't think they are fatal.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

:) Dear Waiting, In addition to the verses I gave you yesterday in Romans here are some from Corinthians where Paul more specifically addresses divisions in the church: 1 Cor 1:10 - 2:5; 3:1-23. Here one sees that Christians were dividing by claiming homage to human personages who brought the Message instead of to Christ Himself. Paul goes into careful detail to explain the danger of this and of the messengers presenting the Message in a manner which brought glory and honor to them instead of Christ. Some other areas of division Paul had to deal with are concerning the eating of meat offered to idols and circumcision and the practice of pigging out at the table of Communion.

quote name='Waiting2BwithHim' timestamp='1313359929' post='1707517']

The Bible talks about Christians. The Bible doesn't talk about different religions.

Where does all the different denominations of religion come from?

How did they get started?

If the Bible just talks about Christians then shouldn't we all just be Christians?

Again thinking outside the box if this makes sense :o:b:

Edited by churchmouse2

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Obviously, everyone warming a church pew on Sunday morning are not saved. Some are saved, and those who are are members of a church not made with human hands - The Church Which is the Body of Christ. This is the TRUE Church headed by Christ, and 100% of the members are saved. We are already ONE in the Body of Christ, even though we may have some doctrinal differences. We are ONE in the SALVATION issues or we wouldn't be members of the BODY OF CHRIST. I give thanks that we will all one day leave all the differences behind. We will also leave behind all of man's tags, labels, and denominations.