ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Heard about the 5.6 you all had last night. Hope you are all doing fine.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Ayin, we have some cracked walls and one crack in the bricks in our west wall. neighbor lost some bricks and his folks that live north of town here have serious roof damage. I had osme things fall out of shelves in my computer room. I was all soaped up in the shower when it started and I had to grab hold of the top of the shower door and hold on to keep from falling. Last night the house shook pretty good, but tonight it actually moved up and down along with side to side movement. We don't have quakes like this here and I really didn't think the house was going to hold together. My feet were actually leaving the floor it moved so much.....

We had a small quake last year and we bought quake insurance so whatever is damaged we should be able to get fixed, but I'll bet there isn't another peraon in our neighborhood with insurance.

Our local emergency people use twitter to keep up with people and thier needs and already thereare reports of serious damage around. I have not looked at the roof our around the foundation to see if the house has moved.

We had a 4.something on October 28th close to Shawnee and last night a 5.2 and this one tonight is now listed as 5.8. tomorrow night we're sleeping in the Winnebago and may stay there until after the full moon.

It's really the first time in a really long time that I was a bit freightened, but I really didn't think our old house was toing to withstand the up and down bouncing we had tonight. Being all soaped up in a very heavy cast iron bath tub with glass shower doors is nnot a really good place to be in an earthquake....... just in case someone should ask you LoL.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,192
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Heard about the 5.6 you all had last night. Hope you are all doing fine.

I was sitting in my chair and felt it... I am in Grove N.E. corner of OK. It was very brief sec or sec and half!

133 miles as the crow flys..

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,192
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Ayin, we have some cracked walls and one crack in the bricks in our west wall. neighbor lost some bricks and his folks that live north of town here have serious roof damage. I had osme things fall out of shelves in my computer room. I was all soaped up in the shower when it started and I had to grab hold of the top of the shower door and hold on to keep from falling. Last night the house shook pretty good, but tonight it actually moved up and down along with side to side movement. We don't have quakes like this here and I really didn't think the house was going to hold together. My feet were actually leaving the floor it moved so much.....

We had a small quake last year and we bought quake insurance so whatever is damaged we should be able to get fixed, but I'll bet there isn't another peraon in our neighborhood with insurance.

Our local emergency people use twitter to keep up with people and thier needs and already thereare reports of serious damage around. I have not looked at the roof our around the foundation to see if the house has moved.

We had a 4.something on October 28th close to Shawnee and last night a 5.2 and this one tonight is now listed as 5.8. tomorrow night we're sleeping in the Winnebago and may stay there until after the full moon.

It's really the first time in a really long time that I was a bit freightened, but I really didn't think our old house was toing to withstand the up and down bouncing we had tonight. Being all soaped up in a very heavy cast iron bath tub with glass shower doors is nnot a really good place to be in an earthquake....... just in case someone should ask you LoL.

slip, sliding, away hope you were using lifeboy....:noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Well sounds like a good rumbler. In the tub I am sorry but that is kinda funny! You see I grew up in California, those do almost no damage as we are built up for it, but I can see more damage being done as they are not built for it!

Glad you are okay!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't recall out 5.8 earthquake last August causing much structural damage to homes. I'm puzzled at the comparison?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I don't recall out 5.8 earthquake last August causing much structural damage to homes. I'm puzzled at the comparison?

Depends on the building. Brick does not bend, it breaks. Wood flexes with shock and does not break. This was learned during the 1906 San Francisco quake. There are more brick buildings in the Midwest and the east by far then in California. You see I have noticed this as It sorta freaked me out seeing so many brick buildings, I noticed it when I moved to Denver and when I visited my friends in Pennsylvania. Along with a few documentaries about the potential for major disaster because the mid west has some major faults that go very rarely and they shake the bedrock worse then it does in California, and they have no real earthquake building code, so when they do have even a stronger little earthquake they suffer much more damage then in California.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Neb it has to do with the strata as well as the building composites. Here in the East the quakes are dampened a bit due to the strata at least that's what I recall hearing.:thumbsup: