DLANE

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

As I grow more and more in my relationship with Christ, I've began to notice that Religion is totally wrong. It's roots are fine, I'm fine with being able to go and fellowship and learn about God but it's not all that Christ wanted us to do. This message is going to be short and sweet because I don't want to seem like I know it all, because I don't. But if you look at Matthew 28:16-20 you'll see what Jesus wants us to do as believers (This scripture is after Jesus had risen from the dead and came to meet up with the disciples).

"16 Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.

17 When they saw him, they worshiped him—but some of them doubted!

18 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

How many churches do you know, teach, then tell them to go! I think if the church was biblical you wouldn't have many people in the church pews on Saturday or Sunday because they'd be out spreading the word.

This just some food for thought. Again I'm not saying going to church is bad, I'm just saying the way we do things sometimes isn't biblical.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/09/1967

I do think your on to something DLANE.

A good book to pick up or atleast check out their websites is

Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola

Alot of things done in today's "churches" are not biblical in the least.

L.J.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

You cannot lump all churches into the same boat.

If you chose not to attend a church, fine, but perhaps you have not yet found the right one for you?

As for spreading the word. Our church works from Mongolia, to Madagascar, to Zimbabwe and in Mozambique. And recently the Bahama's and New Zeland.

We go to church to learn, then we go.......

Where are you spreading the word?

You cannot lump all churches into the same boat.

If you chose not to attend a church, fine, but perhaps you have not yet found the right one for you?

As for spreading the word. Our church works from Mongolia, to Madagascar, to Zimbabwe and in Mozambique. And recently the Bahama's and New Zeland.

We go to church to learn, then we go.......

Where are you spreading the word?

Not sure who you are addressing this to. I'm going to go ahead and take it's me (or maybe both).

"You cannot lump all churches into the same boat"

No you can't, but I am talking about my personal experience and there are alot of people that feel the same way. If not just go to www.simplechurch.org or any organic/simple church sites. Check out George Barna's research on the subject. BTW Barna is one of the leading christian statisticians out there and his research is used by just about every major christian news group out there. (p.s. he also co-wrote Pagan Christianity)

"If you chose not to attend a church, fine, but perhaps you have not yet found the right one for you?"

As far as attending a church, I'll explain more about that later. But I don't think I said anywhere (nor did the OP) about not attending a local assembly. And since when should we choose a body of believers like we are in a cafeteria picking food?

"As for spreading the word. Our church works from Mongolia, to Madagascar, to Zimbabwe and in Mozambique. And recently the Bahama's and New Zeland."

That is awesome!! I think we all should do more in supporting foreign missions, but that doesn't take place in personally spreading the word, and I think that is what the OP was getting at. Too many times we think writing a check is evangelism, and it's not.

"We go to church to learn, then we go......."

Ok, I'm lumping this with the whole attending church comment. Where in scripture do we "go to church"? There is nowhere in scripture that describes a church as a place. It's a people. We are the church! We assemble together as commanded in scripture. We assemble to corporately pray and worship together, to edify one another, to attend to each others needs, and to share a meal together. Atleast that is what the first century church did.

"Where are you spreading the word?"

Work mostly since that takes up the majority of my time. And watching someone who a year ago didn't know Jesus from Moses to now talking non-stop about what he read in the Bible last night and going to different congregations sharing his testimony is awesome!! Watching God work in this young man's life and seeing how it's effecting his wife and children is just amazing. To God all the glory!!

I don't think neither the OP or I have suggested anyone leave their congregation. But local assemblies are losing people in droves now. More and more people are without a church home. There has to be a reason and I don't think its all about them "not finding the right church for them".

Edited by L.J.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone and great post btw.

First and foremost, the church as I understand it to be is not within walls, it is the body of Christ. A lot of people go to the house of God for various reasons, which is why a lot of the greater works that Jesus said that we would and should be doing( making disciples of all nations, etc) are not being done. Not everyone who goes to a place of worship in Christ's name is in fact a Christian.

Just like not evryone who doesn't go to "church" is not a Christian.

I also don't think that some beleivers know what there function is in the body of Christ because a lot of believers are ignorant of what the Bible teaches and instructs us to do. I hate to say it, but some Christians are lazy and stagnant in their growth in Christ.

Hosea 4:6 " my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" and thus a lot of believers are being destroyed in many areas of their lives.

Many Christians backslide because of poor teaching and/or leadership. Of course, we will be persecuted, but there is a fine line between being persecuted and destroyed. So I personally think that poor discipling begets poor discipling. IOW, if we as Christians aren't being taught the Word correctly, then it can make it very difficult to teach what we do not know to non-believers and help make them disciples of Christ.

I personally have a lost for words when it comes to witnessing to others :noidea: and I think a lot of Christians feel this way. I would be very thankful if anyone has any suggestions on how and when to witness to non-beleivers.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, the Bible tells us not to forsake meeting, so I would think that Sunday or Saturday or for us also Wednesday night is not a bad thing...... That leaves another Six or so days to do the spreading of the world, and you can do that as you go through your daily life.

but it's important for us to meat and fellowship with other Christians and to learn and teach each other from our own daily walks. We can support each other and learn from our mistakes if we trust each other to the point of talking about it.

So I guess I kind of disagree.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Can anyone explain what we were redeemed for?

Peace,

Dave

Hi everyone and great post btw.

First and foremost, the church as I understand it to be is not within walls, it is the body of Christ. A lot of people go to the house of God for various reasons, which is why a lot of the greater works that Jesus said that we would and should be doing( making disciples of all nations, etc) are not being done. Not everyone who goes to a place of worship in Christ's name is in fact a Christian.

Just like not evryone who doesn't go to "church" is not a Christian.

I also don't think that some beleivers know what there function is in the body of Christ because a lot of believers are ignorant of what the Bible teaches and instructs us to do. I hate to say it, but some Christians are lazy and stagnant in their growth in Christ.

Hosea 4:6 " my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" and thus a lot of believers are being destroyed in many areas of their lives.

Many Christians backslide because of poor teaching and/or leadership. Of course, we will be persecuted, but there is a fine line between being persecuted and destroyed. So I personally think that poor discipling begets poor discipling. IOW, if we as Christians aren't being taught the Word correctly, then it can make it very difficult to teach what we do not know to non-believers and help make them disciples of Christ.

I personally have a lost for words when it comes to witnessing to others :noidea: and I think a lot of Christians feel this way. I would be very thankful if anyone has any suggestions on how and when to witness to non-beleivers.

I have the same problem. What I have found is waiting on God to give the opportunity to speak to that person. They may ask a question that opens the door for dialogue. Also pray for God to give you the words to speak. What I have found is that beating someone over the head with a bible rarely works.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Grace to you,

Peace,

Dave

We are redeemed to be vessels that Jesus, the Christ can manifest Himself in & through & as such our very life should be a constant witness to all we come in contact with.

You don't have to say a word to be a witness--actions do speak louder than words.The unbelievers are watching, not necessarily listening. Most are so fed up with the two faced way they see "Christians" living, they want no part of it. And why would they? If only the CHURCH would BE the CHURCH that God intended! What a difference that would make!

I believe Fez hit it well when he said "we go to church to learn, then we go". Pastors are given to instruct and watch over the believers and help them grow up, not preach a feel good message & everyone go home til next meeting time.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,390
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Grace to you,

Peace,

Dave

To Worship and give God The Glory due to Him because of Who, What, Where, When, Why, How....

Simply the more you know Of Him the more you are drawn into this natural response after salvation by new birth that is!

Love, Steven