IGNORED

Dancing in the Spirit or Dancing for Show?

Fearfully1derfullyMade

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This has been on my mind for quite some time now and I would like as much biblical basis as possible on this one. I grew up in a very legalistic Pentecostal family and church.

Some of my relatives believe that dancing, hooping and hollering is part of the move of the Holy Spirit. I personally don't believe this because #1- I've never experienced this and I believe that I am HS filled.

#2 - I haven't found any scriptural basis for this practice/belief.

Please help me with this one, because this really bothers me amongst many other things in the Body of Christ.

Your posts are very much welcomed here.

Thanks and God Bless

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

Please help me with this one, because this really bothers me amongst many other things in the Body of Christ.

1. Scripture does not condemn dancing as a physical activity. Mostly, references to dancing have to do with rejoicing and being happy. It is a response in us and a means of expressing how we feel.

2. There is no scriptural reference to "dancing in the Spirit" in any form. This is not a "gift of the Spirit."

Paul writes these words:

Rom 14:1-8 And receive the one who is weak in the faith, not to judgments of your thoughts. (2) One indeed believes to eat all things, but being weak, another one eats vegetables. (3) The one eating, do not despise the one not eating. And the one not eating, do not judge the one eating, for God received him. (4) Who are you judging another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. But he will stand, for God is able to make him stand. (5) One indeed judges a day above another day; and another one judges every day alike. Let each one be fully assured in his own mind. (6) The one minding the day, he minds it to the Lord. And the one not minding the day, he does not mind it to the Lord. The one eating, he eats to the Lord; for he gives thanks to God. And the one not eating, he does not eat to the Lord, and gives thanks to God. (7) For no one of us lives to himself and no one dies to himself. (8) For both if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Then both if we live, and if we die, we are the Lord's.

I am NOT going to condemn the one dancing, even if I find it to be a sign of weakness in the faith. The one dancing to and before the Lord dances to and before the Lord. No -- rather, I will forbear the one dancing in hopes of sharing with them what the Lord has revealed and they will gain in inward wisdom and strength to know for themselves what they ought to do and be before the Lord Jesus Christ on their own before Him. I am NOT their judge -- He is.

My hope is to share the faith as I know it of God, by His Spirit and that together we all will grow up to the head, which is Christ -- becoming transformed inwardly to His likeness. So, those who dance -- dance. Know that you will be accepted, loved and shared with. In the sharing, we will all grow up and grow stronger. That's my prayer and my hope.

Romans 14:(3) The one dancing, do not despise the one not dancing. And the one not dancing, do not judge the one dancing, for God received him.

If you all will allow me the liberty to change the words eating to dancing and see if the shoe fits?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Question, what about 2 samuel 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

It seemed to me David danced with no regard to who was watching him except the Lord,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Some of my relatives believe that dancing, hooping and hollering is part of the move of the Holy Spirit. I personally don't believe this because #1- I've never experienced this and I believe that I am HS filled.

Psalm 30:11 - You have turned for me my mourning into dancing ; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness,

Psalm 149: 3 - Let them praise His name with dancing ; Let them sing praises to Him with timbrel and lyre.

Psalm 150:4 - Praise Him with timbrel and dancing ; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe.

Jeremiah 31:13 - "Then the virgin will rejoice in the dance, And the young men and the old, together, For I will turn their mourning into joy And will comfort them and give them joy for their sorrow.

You dance because you want to, same as hand clapping.

And to be honest, I hate it when people accuse my expression of worship to be about show.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I'm not trying to offend anyone and I hope that no one misinterprets what I am trying to say. What is meant by my post is that a lot of Christians say that the HS is responsible for and/or gives them the unction to dance. I am not making light of it, I am just asking a simple question.

As Nebula pointed out, there are a lot of scriptures that encourage us to dance for the Lord, but is it actually the Spirit of God that makes us dance like speaking in tongues? Don't get me wrong, I've gotten my dance on for the Lord a few times, but some Christians do a certain dance that they say is the HS a.k.a "Shouting". I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful in any way, shape or form, but is the HS really the powering force that ignites some of us to dance?

And when I said "Dancing for Show" in the topic, I wasn't referring to dancing to be cute or seen. I was saying are some Christians dancing to seem like they're more spiritual than others like "tonges without an interpreter", which btw is annoying to me. I guess different people dance for different reasons, but to say that it is b/c of the HG just doesn't seem scripturally based to me.

Actually, anyone spiritual activity can be done for show - even preaching or reading the Bible. So, to catch someone dancing or speaking in tongues for show is not different than the making a show of fasting which Jesus rebuked.

As for whether or not the Holy Spirit gives someone and unction to dance, I believe He does, just like there are times He gives us an unction to pray.

And sometimes people just get so excited they simply can't stay still!

Now how they dance is a different matter, if that has entered your concerns. Unfortunately, there's not enough teaching on appropriate and inappropriate dance. "The spirit of the prophets is subject to the prophet." The same with dance. We can be moved by the Spirit yet still mess up the output.

• Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Is there a time and/or place for dancing before the Lord? If someone is giving the Word of God and another person jumps up and shouts is that not creating confusion?

I have been told that women were in a separate room, or side of a room, in the OT times and would shout out to their husband for clarification of the Scriptures and that was why they were admonished to be quiet in the assembly. Seems to me that your question is somewhat akin to this kind of disturbance. My 2 cents worth.

Is there a time and/or place for dancing before the Lord? If someone is giving the Word of God and another person jumps up and shouts is that not creating confusion?

I never heard of anyone dancing in the middle of a sermon before. :huh:

We dance during the time of singing (my church worships through music and song for close to an hour).

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

There have been reports, which I have not personally witnessed, of people howling or barking like a dog. Some crawl on the floor and others have been reported to make other animal movements, all during a service. These are what I see as something that is not right. Dancing is a blessing when it is of the Lord. As for shouting, I have witnessed this, and it seems that people get so worked up in the moment, so they hoot and holler like at a football game. Is it wrong? It all depends on how the Spirit gives the discernment toward it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

This has been on my mind for quite some time now and I would like as much biblical basis as possible on this one. I grew up in a very legalistic Pentecostal family and church.

Your posts are very much welcomed here.

Thanks and God Bless

Hi! I used to go to a Pentecostal Church and the Spirit of the Lord touched many. However, I do believe that people tend to get carried away with how they act when they think other people are watching. The dancing, the joy one feels when filled with the Holy Spirit can case an overflowing sense of Love, Peace, Joy, Happiness, and at time the feeling of wanting to jump up and down for Joy. But, again is it the Blessing of the Holy Spirit or the sense that you are with a whole bunch of people that are feeling a sense of belonging to a crowd, a mass of people that are doing something and one feels the need to follow that crowd. I was nicknamed by some members of the Church, as "one of the Frozen Chosen" because I'm really not the type of person that goes around dancing in Church... Signing on the other hand was different and a couple of other Gifts from the Lord have made themselves known, when they are needed.

In Luke we find Jesus, telling us a story of two sons, one a hard worker and the other goes off and parties. When the son returned that was great joy with music and dancing. The Love of the father for the returning lost child was something to sing and dance over. So there is nothing wrong with the making of music or Dancing. When I came back into the arms of the Lord Jesus, I'm sure there was some parting going on some place, for I was very Lost.

Remember these were Jesus words: "

Luke 15:32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'"

ICL Dennis.