• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Peter walks on water.

A Roman Centurion asks Jesus just to speak the word.

A chronically ill woman grabs the hem of Jesus' garment.

The Bible is full of accounts of people expressing their faith in some unique way. In sermons and teachings, we are encouraged to follow their lead - step out of the boat, grab His hem.

But yet, following the footsteps of someone else doesn't seem to work, at least not for me. (Example, when I attempt to "step out of the boat," my pants get caught in a nail, or I trip over the rigging, or....)

But then I noticed something about each incidence. The people in each event came from a unique background or had a unique personality. Peter was an open-mouth-insert-foot type of guy. For the centurion, authority was his life. The women for years had been grasping for healing.

It was then I considered each account through the eyes of the person.

Peter has a record of acting on impulse. In one instance, the Gospel writer even notes Peter was speaking without thinking! (Mark 9:6) So when the disciples see Jesus walking on the water, and He calls to them that it is He, Peter blurts out, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." And when Jesus does so, he comes. I wonder if Peter had any idea what he was doing. For the moment, his thoughts were consumed with the whole awe and weirdness of the situation, and he wanted to confirm it was true. . . and then reality hits. Wait a minute! What am I doing?! I just got out of a boat in the middle of a storm, and that wave is about to crash on me! I like how Bruce Marchiano enacted Jesus during this scene in The Gospel According to Matthew, where Jesus is laughing when He says, "Oh you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

The Centurion, by his self-proclamation, was a man of authority. "For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, 'Go!' and he goes, and to another, 'Come!' and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do this!' and he does it." (Matt. 8:9). Consider this, would you have even thought of such a bizarre proposition as to ask Jesus to just speak the word? I know I wouldn't have. Oh yes, his faith was great; I mean not to minimize this point. However, his faith was expressed in a way that he lived his life. He equated Jesus' ability to heal with the same rule of authority he lived and breathed. Authority is in the word, not in the touch, not even in being present. He already knew this. And so He was able to regard Jesus as having this same authority.

On and on we can peek into each person's story, and see how the faith each expressed was their own personal expression of faith.

I like the story of Gideon. The angel of the Lord appeared to him, and he asks for a sign that it is the Lord speaking to him. And so the angel gives him a sign through the sacrifice Gideon prepared. Yet Gideon asks for yet another sign to be sure this is the Lord, the sign of the fleece - not once, but twice he asks for a sign. Then later on, the Lord tells Gideon if he is still afraid to go down to the camp of their enemies and listen to what they have to say. Now, off hand, does this sound like a story of faith? A man who needs sign after sign? Well, Gideon grew up under the oppression of fear, and it seems as if the Lord understood this and was patient in working confidence in Gideon so that he could have the courage to go do these wild, crazy, and idiotic things the Lord asked him to do!

I think I can relate to Gideon. Was that really You, Lord? Would You confirm that?

But I realized later that the Lord didn't want me to find the Bible hero who's faith story I could most relate to. He wanted me to be able to live out my own expression of faith.

The Bible isn't a book of theological treatises; it is a book of people's experiences with the Lord. And the Lord wants each of us to have our own experience with Him! The heroes of the Bible are not recorded for us to mimic, but to refer to as inspirations to "go and do likewise," not step-for-step and word-for-word, but in the same spirit, the same vein.

So, what is your story of faith?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I bought a newborn outfit...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Is it Blue?

My story of Faith, I was dead in sin, and then...It was by Grace that I was saved, through Faith and this was not of myself, it was a Gift from God, not by any works that I may have done. It was Faith that drove me to my knees, it was Faith that caused me to realize that I could not fix the problems in my life, it was Faith, that I turned to Jesus, and asked Him to fix it, He did!!!!

I knew a man that once had great Faith, one day he was sitting on a small hill ([) and telling this other person about God, and Jesus. As the two men sat there, storm clouds moved in around the mountains, the man of Faith, jokingly said; " and out of the sky came a fiery bolt of lighting, and he pointed at a tree". To the amazement of both men and a couple others that were watching, the tree was instantly hit by a blot of lighting so strong that it split tree in half and it was set of fire.

That's my story....

ICL Dennis

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Faith! how awesome it is!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

But I realized later that the Lord didn't want me to find the Bible hero who's faith story I could most relate to. He wanted me to be able to live out my own expression of faith.

The Bible isn't a book of theological treatises; it is a book of people's experiences with the Lord. And the Lord wants each of us to have our own experience with Him! The heroes of the Bible are not recorded for us to mimic, but to refer to as inspirations to "go and do likewise," not step-for-step and word-for-word, but in the same spirit, the same vein.

So, what is your story of faith?

Well said Christian!

Experience, guided by the example of Jesus and the indwelling and revealing work and agency of the Spirit in our hearts.

Deeply focusing on the indwelling Spirit, hearing what He speaks and reveals of the Word of God and following it as He guides.

Clearly, God did not give us stories from His Word for us to "hero worship", but as living testimony that the Spirit of God can draw upon to speak into our own hearts here and NOW! Each moment!

So, I agree with you Christian! Amen and amen and amen! Well said!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

One of them was when my husband wanted to move seven states away.

I had lived in the area three score and six, and all my birth family, which is quite large, is there.

He gradually introduced me to the new area with several trips there, but I still was apprehensive about leaving my roots and family and starting over.

I thought about Joseph. Long before his brothers sold him out, God had prepared a caravan, which had been on its way for a long time.

So I trusted God that as he had made provision for Joseph long before he had "to move," so he had already made provision for me in my new place also, that he is in every situation before I get there.

And his provision has been beyond what I would have imagined.

Such stories I adore and find heart-warming and endearing! Thank you for sharing. The grace of God is on your words.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  775
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/12/1987

I don't know what my story is. But I know this is a really interesting post Nebula- and a fantastic question.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

My husband died five years ago and I remembered the Blessed Virgin Mary who was also a widow and yet I knew that God deeply loved her so I knew that even in my pain and sorrow God still loved me. I looked to the story of Naomi who lost her husband and both her sons and yet God still had a plan for her, provided for her and greatly blessed her. Five years later I can tell you that God never changes. He did have a plan for me...I live close to my church and am very active there and volunteer at a local homeless shelter two/three times a week. I love the people there and they bless me so much more than I bless them. The Lord has provided for me in so many ways including helping me to do things that I had no idea how to do. Like Naomi, I can also say, I have been greatly blessed.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

My expression of faith is waiting for Him to move in my life everyday. Most of my decisions are based on having faith in God, that His Spirit will guide me if I wait on Him.