• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Put me in the "all of it" camp. I do understand that all of it is profitable for me, but all of it is not to me. I can glean some great spiritual truths from the ceremonial laws, and dietary laws. Look at the thread Eleanor has on the great types from the Old Testament, and how they point to Christ. I believe when one has Christ in mind in everything that he reads, the bible will unfold to him or her, and they can get some good spiritual food from any passage in the bible. We must look for him in the reading of this book, because it is all about him.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I would like to take a moment or two to share some thoughts with everyone involved or reading this thread as to much of the reflections I have done on this topic since I started this thread. All I ask is that if argument is to be presented, that it is done with thought as well as scriptural support. Please do not demean or offer insult if something is found disagreeable. I am presently grieving and have no desire to get into any form of altercation with a brother or sister in Christ. Would rather disagree and pray on any misunderstandings or misconceptions if there is need.

How much of God's word is relevant to all of us?

All of it. From beginning to end, it reflects God's relationship with mankind and how it has matured as well as changed with man's slow to form understanding of who God is. It is instruction as to who God is, how He loves us, and how we are to live our lives in faith in Him.

Who does the Word apply to?

Everyone. Believers and non-believers alike all fall short of the glory of God. We all need Jesus and should seek to follow Him not just in words, but action.

Romans 3:9-25 (NIV) 9 What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good,

not even one.” 13 “Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.”[c] “The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[d] 14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[e] 15 “Their feet are swift to shed

blood; 16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know.”[f] 18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”[g] 19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are

under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law

we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus

Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by

Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood —to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he

had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished.

God loved us so much and loves us enough to give us what He cherishes most.

John 3:16 (NIV) 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

So many claim that the laws in which were made in the Old Testament do not matter. They are done away with. Please let us not forget that Jesus told us:

Mark 12:29-31 (NIV) 29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Matthew 5:17-20 (NIV) 17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

In a nut shell:

God's word is perfect and is for our reading so that we may grow in both knowledge and faith in Him.

God's word is not for just one select people but for all people.

The OT is no less relevant than the NT for it is all the written word of God.

The two greatest commandments Jesus gave us to follow and instructed us to live by....the following of them, does it not lead or equal to the following of the rest?

Sin is sin. No sin is greater than the other, save one which is mentioned as the only one in which God finds unforgivable.

My apologies if anything I have shared offends anyone. That is not my intention.

May God Bless You

Dani

Hi Dani,

I mentioned in my first reply to your thread that you would get the answer to the question you asked.

Asking how much to follow is very different from how much is relevant.

The answer to relevancy for me is all of it, every jot and tittle.

I FOLLOW Jesus. I find out about Him and how to follow Him by studying His Word.

I am finding that words have meaning and sometime we all do not understand the meaning of the words we use. And it is very difficult to understand what someone else is trying to say if I have a different understanding of words the other person is using.

My point being is that someone can follow the Scripture the way they understand it and never come to follow The Lord Jesus Christ.

LT

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I would like to take a moment or two to share some thoughts with everyone involved or reading this thread as to much of the reflections I have done on this topic since I started this thread. All I ask is that if argument is to be presented, that it is done with thought as well as scriptural support. Please do not demean or offer insult if something is found disagreeable. I am presently grieving and have no desire to get into any form of altercation with a brother or sister in Christ. Would rather disagree and pray on any misunderstandings or misconceptions if there is need.

All of it. From beginning to end, it reflects God's relationship with mankind and how it has matured as well as changed with man's slow to form understanding of who God is. It is instruction as to who God is, how He loves us, and how we are to live our lives in faith in Him.

Everyone. Believers and non-believers alike all fall short of the glory of God. We all need Jesus and should seek to follow Him not just in words, but action.

Romans 3:9-25 (NIV) 9 What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good,

not even one.” 13 “Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.”[c] “The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[d] 14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[e] 15 “Their feet are swift to shed

blood; 16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know.”[f] 18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”[g] 19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are

under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law

we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus

Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by

Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood —to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he

John 3:16 (NIV) 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

So many claim that the laws in which were made in the Old Testament do not matter. They are done away with. Please let us not forget that Jesus told us:

Mark 12:29-31 (NIV) 29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Matthew 5:17-20 (NIV) 17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

In a nut shell:

God's word is perfect and is for our reading so that we may grow in both knowledge and faith in Him.

The two greatest commandments Jesus gave us to follow and instructed us to live by....the following of them, does it not lead or equal to the following of the rest?

Sin is sin. No sin is greater than the other, save one which is mentioned as the only one in which God finds unforgivable.

My apologies if anything I have shared offends anyone. That is not my intention.

May God Bless You

Dani

Hi Dani,

I mentioned in my first reply to your thread that you would get the answer to the question you asked.

I FOLLOW Jesus. I find out about Him and how to follow Him by studying His Word.

I am finding that words have meaning and sometime we all do not understand the meaning of the words we use. And it is very difficult to understand what someone else is trying to say if I have a different understanding of words the other person is using.

My point being is that someone can follow the Scripture the way they understand it and never come to follow The Lord Jesus Christ.

LT

Yet, scripture tells us to follow Jesus. follow Me

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

coheir

The old covenant is not done away with. it is for those who still do not understand or accept Jesus as the savior. the new covenant (church) will not go through

the wrath of God ( tribulation ) only the people stuck in the old covnant will go through the tribulation. Just like the church can not pick and choose what rules and guidelines to go by they go by mainly what paul teaches the people stuck in the old covenant customs are required to keep all the old laws no just 3 or 4 of them.

Mizzdy I am sorry. i may not have made my stand very clear; i will try again. All things are given unto Jesus and He is the only gate, door, path to eternal life.

Jews who do not accept Jesus as savior will go through the trib.

Gentiles who do not accept Jesus as savior will go through the trib.

I think that many who sit in those chuch pews will indeed go through the trib and even the wrath. It is Gods fire that purifies and cleanses.

your above statement we agree on. A lot of people who claim to be christian that are ( luke warm ) will go through the trib.

I understand who Yeshua is, I accept Him as my Savior and coming King, hm but I keep His feasts days, His Sabbaths and well I actually keep some of those commandments that apply to me, does that make you think that I am under some horrible thing and I will have to be punished for doing so?

If you accept Jesus as your savior you are saved in my opinion. My opinion is also it is ok for you as a gentile to keep some of those things you like from the old testament or from the old covenant as a follower of Jesus you are not required to.

Those who are under the law are those who have not accept Yeshua as their Savior, they are subject to its penalties including the final death sentence which is the sentence on those who do not accept Yah nor His Son. We are only 'saved' by His blood.

again Jesus Christ is the only way into heaven in my opinion. a person must believe in Father, Son, holy Spirit. ( Godhead )

And your wrong not all those 613 laws applied to everyone, some are for animals and sacrifices, some are for men, some for woman so how can we be required to keep them all?

Gal 5: 2-4

2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

v2 not accepted Jesus

v3 Jews not accepted Jesus must do whole law.

v4 Must accept Jesus as savior

You also forget about the Spirit of the law, this is how we are to walk in His instructions, the Spirit will lead you into them, its never an all at once thing with Yah you know He brings us along at our pace what we can handle and do.

Luke 16

16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Rom4

13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

Gal 3

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Edited by coheir

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Dani, you have answered your own question the best possible way I can think of. Indeed, God is great and He would reveal Himself to them that diligently seek Him. I would only add a little to what you have written because you’ve basically said it all. The whole bible is important. God has never given man anything that he did not need.

Every writing inspired by God{literally, God-breathed} is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction which is in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

1 Timothy 3:16-17 [WEB]

I need not say anything more because the scripture is very clear. When we are saved through our faith in Christ, we have to move on from there. Paul calls this “working out our salvation with fear and trembling.” If salvation only involved your faith and acceptance of Jesus’ death on the cross for the remission of our sins, he would have only preached that and he wouldn’t have had to send the Holy Spirit to us. The role of the Spirit is to “teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberance, whatsoever I have said unto you” [John 14:26]. You might be saved, washed from all your sins but empty.

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of the man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also to this wicked generation.

Matthew 12:43-45

You have to fill yourself with the Spirit. “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18). Jesus said, “… the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63). The Word will help you to grow after you become born again. “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of THE WORD, that ye may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2). The bible doesn’t say desire the sincere milk of the New Testament or the Old Testament, it says THE WORD. Another name for the Bible is THE WORD of God. My Bishop, Dag Heward-Mills, Made a point in his book The Words of Jesus:

" Jesus spoke of the attachment to His words as the sign of attachment to Himself. Jesus considered devotion to His words to be the test of discipleship.

If you continue in my words then are you my disciples. You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

John 8:31"- The Word

The Word of God has a very big role to play in our walk in Christianity. The whole Word of God. However, we have established already that following the letter is not what will give life but following the Spirit. Therefore, we should pray that the Spirit would helps us to read and understand God’s word so that we can apply it in such a way that we would yield fruits thirtyfold, sixtyfold and even a hundredfold.

daghewardmillls.org

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Hi Dani, you have answered your own question the best possible way I can think of. Indeed, God is great and He would reveal Himself to them that diligently seek Him. I would only add a little to what you have written because you’ve basically said it all. The whole bible is important. God has never given man anything that he did not need.

Every writing inspired by God{literally, God-breathed} is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction which is in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

1 Timothy 3:16-17 [WEB]

I need not say anything more because the scripture is very clear. When we are saved through our faith in Christ, we have to move on from there. Paul calls this “working out our salvation with fear and trembling.” If salvation only involved your faith and acceptance of Jesus’ death on the cross for the remission of our sins, he would have only preached that and he wouldn’t have had to send the Holy Spirit to us. The role of the Spirit is to “teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberance, whatsoever I have said unto you” [John 14:26]. You might be saved, washed from all your sins but empty.

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of the man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also to this wicked generation.

Matthew 12:43-45

You have to fill yourself with the Spirit. “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18). Jesus said, “… the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63). The Word will help you to grow after you become born again. “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of THE WORD, that ye may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2). The bible doesn’t say desire the sincere milk of the New Testament or the Old Testament, it says THE WORD. Another name for the Bible is THE WORD of God. My Bishop, Dag Heward-Mills, Made a point in his book The Words of Jesus:

" Jesus spoke of the attachment to His words as the sign of attachment to Himself. Jesus considered devotion to His words to be the test of discipleship.

If you continue in my words then are you my disciples. You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

John 8:31"- The Word

The Word of God has a very big role to play in our walk in Christianity. The whole Word of God. However, we have established already that following the letter is not what will give life but following the Spirit. Therefore, we should pray that the Spirit would helps us to read and understand God’s word so that we can apply it in such a way that we would yield fruits thirtyfold, sixtyfold and even a hundredfold.

daghewardmillls.org

:amen:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The Old Testament had it's time and that was a covenant made between God and the Jews through Moses, but there came a time when the whole world would be able to partake of the grace of God and it was done in the form of the New Testament. It was even prophesied -

Jeremiah 31`:31, 32 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

Lue 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

The old law was only until the time of John the Baptist. Now were are under the law of Christ.

Hebrews 7:11, 12 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

The priesthood changed from Aaron to Jesus and so did the law.

Acts 13:38, 39 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Acts 6:14 For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us.

I could keep going, but I think I made my point that we are no longer under the old law and it's ordinances, so, they can't be binding. You can practice them if you want, but they are not required by Christians under the New Testament.

As far as following scripture we are supposed to follow all of it of the New Testament.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Matthew 5:17-20 (NIV) 17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

In a nut shell:

May God Bless You

Dani

Hi Dani,

LT

Yet, scripture tells us to follow Jesus. follow Me

I think that is what I just said. I said it earlier also.

LT