IGNORED

Is it unlikely that King Solomon wasn't saved?

avemaria

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/11/1987

King Solomon was given wisdom like no other man before or after him. Of those who are given much, much is expected of them. Especially leaders. Their sins are more serious because their whole kingdom suffers as a result of their folley. Solomon knew well of his Fathers mistakes and how that cost his Kingdom. Solomon was no dummy. He knew more than anyone what is pleasing and displeasing to God.

The fear of the Lord. The consequences of sin and idolatry.

Yet he had hundreds of wives and concubines. In all his wisdom he must have realized that sleeping with hundreds of women wasnt the best thing for his soul and his relationship with God.

He knew it was disobediant to God and dangerous to marry a Pagan, yet he did.

More than anyone, he knew that burning incense to a demon (pagan God) was a most awful crime, and a violation of the most serious of the ten commandments.

A mistake that those before him repeatedly made.

King David commited ghastly sins, but repented whole heartedly with weeping and supplication. Did Solomon have any sign of such repentance?

God alone knows whether King Solomon was saved but it sure doesnt look good for him on judgement day.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

King Solomon lived several hundred years before Jesus. No one had heard of Jesus in those days. They had a vague concept of a future messiah who would come someday, but not many details. So the term "saved" was not the same as we think of it today.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

King Solomon lived several hundred years before Jesus. No one had heard of Jesus in those days. They had a vague concept of a future messiah who would come someday, but not many details. So the term "saved" was not the same as we think of it today.

They knew that when Yahweh would send His Messiah that salvation would indeed come to the world, that He would set right the penalty of sins that were against us all. Solomon knew there would be a Messiah, David knew there would be a Messiah. David in his psalms speaks of Yeshua and Yah in the most personal of ways, like He knew Him face to face, not saying he did but go read the psalms and see how personal they are, what knowledge that is in them. The stories of Ruth and Boaz all show the shadow of the Messiah, He is on every page of scriptures in one form or another. The idea of 'saved' was not really something people back then went around wondering about, I hazard the guess that not even the apostles worried over their 'salvation' as many do today. They knew if they stayed in covenant with Him, obeyed His Torah and had Yeshua as the Messiah thats what they needed.

shalom,

Mizz

Guest Butero

Solomon disobeyed God wilfully. It was stated in the law that Kings weren't to multiply unto themselves a lot of wives. Polygamy wasn't forbidden, but having 700 wives and 300 concumbines was clearly in violation of what God said. In addition to that, Jewish people were not to take heathen wives because they would turn away their hearts. Guess what? Solomon wound up committing idolatry to please his heathen wives. With all his wisdom, he had to know better, but it was wilful disobedience.

What gives some hope about Solomon is something in the book of Ecclesiastes. Some believe these words of Solomon are an admission that he had done wrong, and had come to his senses. Ecclesiastes 12:13,14

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Did Solomon ever repent and return to God? I don't know. I hope so, but I don't know? His disobedience had long term consequences for Israel, as the nation was split in two after his death, as a direct result of his sins.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/11/1987

And to think that God said this would be the wisest man that ever was or ever will be, this was his life, his choices, his end.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

lol I Solomon not being saved is a new one to me. You might as well question whether or not David was God's man as well. I mean, he murdered a man in cold blood just because he lusted after his wife. Solomon built the Lord a house of worship, in the NT he is never once negatively spoken of. He is attributed to have written Holy Scripture. I mean, if we are gonna go that far, why not include Lot? He had a seat of prominence in a wicked city, he slept with his own daughters, yet scripture calls him a righteous man. Let's bring it home even further, what about you and I? What have we done in relation to our God since professing to know him? Are we casting judgment on others when we ourselves do the same things? I know for a fact that I have not lived in perfect obedience since I got saved. I have failed God more times than I can count. Solomon failed God miserably, and was used of God to show the truth that chasing earthly things, at the expense of the eternal is all folly.

Mat 6:25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Mat 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?

Mat 6:27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?

Mat 6:28 "And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,

Mat 6:29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.

Mat 6:30 "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!

Mat 6:31 "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'

Mat 6:32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

Mat 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

lol I Solomon not being saved is a new one to me. You might as well question whether or not David was God's man as well. I mean, he murdered a man in cold blood just because he lusted after his wife. Solomon built the Lord a house of worship, in the NT he is never once negatively spoken of. He is attributed to have written Holy Scripture. I mean, if we are gonna go that far, why not include Lot? He had a seat of prominence in a wicked city, he slept with his own daughters, yet scripture calls him a righteous man. Let's bring it home even further, what about you and I? What have we done in relation to our God since professing to know him? Are we casting judgment on others when we ourselves do the same things? I know for a fact that I have not lived in perfect obedience since I got saved. I have failed God more times than I can count. Solomon failed God miserably, and was used of God to show the truth that chasing earthly things, at the expense of the eternal is all folly.

Mat 6:25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Mat 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?

Mat 6:27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?

Mat 6:28 "And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,

Mat 6:29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.

Mat 6:30 "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!

Mat 6:31 "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'

Mat 6:32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

Mat 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

:thumbsup:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I had to look this up since I too assumed he was saved. God is angry at Solomon just before he died, for turning his heart away from the Lord. Perhaps he repented.

1 Kings 11

1 ΒΆ And King Solomon loved many foreign women, even the daughter of Pharaoh, Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, Hittites;

2 of the nations which the LORD had said to the sons of Israel, You shall not go in to them, and they shall not go in to you; surely they will turn away your heart after their gods. Solomon clung to these in love.

3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines. And his wives turned away his heart.

4 For it happened when Solomon was old, his wives turned away his heart after other gods. And his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth, the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom, the abomination of the Ammonites;

6 and Solomon did evil in the sight of Jehovah, and did not go fully after the LORD like his father David.

7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill which is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the sons of Ammon.

8 And likewise he did for all his foreign wives, and burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.

9 ΒΆ And the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice

10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; and he did not keep that which the LORD commanded.

11 And the LORD said to Solomon, Since this is done by you, and since you have not kept My covenant and My statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.

12 But I will not do it in your days, for David your father's sake, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.

13 Only, I will not tear away all the kingdom, but I will give one tribe to your son for David My servant's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake which I have chosen.

41 ΒΆ And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the Book of the Acts of Solomon?

42 And the days that Solomon reigned in Jerusalem over all Israel were forty years.

43 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David his father. And Rehoboam reigned in his place.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Gods ways are not our ways. What we see in the Old Testament are carnally driven people who blueprinting the future process of a spiritual kingdom. Solomon is actually a type of Christ. There are so many pictures in him that point to Christ though he was carnal in nature and Christ is spiritual. Don't forget the basic principle that first comes carnal then spiritual. Solomon built the temple of God that was made with hands. Christ built the temple of God made without hands which is us, Christ in us the hope of glory. Solomon had many wives and concubines. We are espoused to Christ awaiting the wedding as we are washed by the water of the Word through the ministry of the Holy Spirit in our lives. God gave much carnal wealth unto Solomon because he asked for Wisdom. God trusted Christ with the true riches because he was faithful with the carnal wealth.

The whole Old Testament screams Christ and was a basic road map that directed Jesus in all that he ever needed to bring him to the Baptism of John where his ministry began. The OT is also our road map that takes us from the wilderness where we currently are, into the kingdom through the leadership of Jesus. I praise God for Solomon. God raises up those whom he will for his purposes. We shall all be shocked when we see who did or did not make it into the kingdom, if we are even allowed to know at all.

"To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it."

Is it possible that we just might hear him say "Be glad your here. Don't worry about what happened back then or who was who as we are starting a new"?

May God bless us by showering us in his mercy and grace that we might be merciful and gracious unto others.

Gary

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I had to look this up since I too assumed he was saved. God is angry at Solomon just before he died, for turning his heart away from the Lord. Perhaps he repented.

1 Kings 11

4 For it happened when Solomon was old, his wives turned away his heart after other gods. And his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth, the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom, the abomination of the Ammonites;

6 and Solomon did evil in the sight of Jehovah, and did not go fully after the LORD like his father David.

7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill which is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the sons of Ammon.

8 And likewise he did for all his foreign wives, and burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.

9 ΒΆ And the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice

10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; and he did not keep that which the LORD commanded.

11 And the LORD said to Solomon, Since this is done by you, and since you have not kept My covenant and My statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.

12 But I will not do it in your days, for David your father's sake, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.

13 Only, I will not tear away all the kingdom, but I will give one tribe to your son for David My servant's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake which I have chosen.

41 ΒΆ And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the Book of the Acts of Solomon?

42 And the days that Solomon reigned in Jerusalem over all Israel were forty years.

43 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David his father. And Rehoboam reigned in his place.

These things do make me wonder if some of the Gnostic teachings of what Solomon was capable of might be true.