IGNORED

The Outward Appearance of God’s People: Does it Matter?

mizzdy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes, it matters what Christians wear. Every Christian is responsible for putting on the Lord Jesus Christ each day. Doing so will affect your wardrobe whether you be man or woman it doesn't matter. Clothe yourself with Christ and you will not offend any of Gods dear children. You will only offend those who are offended in Christ.

Gary

Good one!

When my grandfather was a young man (early thirties, and a struggling farmer), one Sunday morning he came to church with all twelve of his kids. That act in itself was noteworthy, as he'd lost his wife (my grandmother) a year before to pneumonia, and what with the Depression going on, and a dozen offspring he was raising by himself, his church visits were few and far apart.

Anyway, he arrived at the service wearing one of the two pairs of overalls that he had. Those overalls were all the clothes he owned, and he'd cleaned this pair as well as he could. They'd just settled in when the pastor stopped his opening remarks, pointed a long bony finger at my grandpa, and proceeded to rake him over the coals for daring to "dishonor God's house wearing rags." At that my grandpa stood, gathered his kids, and left. To my knowledge he never again went to church for the rest of his life.

So unless someone shows up at a service clad in something blatantly sexy and/or offensive, I shrug it off. Life's too short to major on the minors....

:thumbsup:

The LORD Did Said "Beat My Sheep"

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. John 21:17

Didn't He????

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:13-16

~

Beloved Fez

What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not. 1 Corinthians 11:22

Would You Please Tell The Folks In Candy American Land

And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? James 2:3-4

Just How Many Of Our Precious Brothers-In-Christ Dwelling Deep Within The Bush

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called? James 2:5-7

Could Ever Afford To Buy Deodorant Much Less Wear It

If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. James 2:8-10

And Do You Hear Of Any Spirit Fulled Servants

For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ. 2 Corinthians 2:15-17

Serving Them Who Even Notice

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

"Dennis...You may be the only Bible that some will ever read....." Words spoken to me by my Pastor...years ago...after my return to the Lord in 1987.

God, if I recall it right made Adam and Eve naked, cloths came in only to cover our shame....

I had just gotten assigned to State side duty, in a city close to my home. I had lived through Vietnam and had return to marry the girl that stole my heart. My walk with Christ was shaky after seeing the horrors that man can do to man. In the jungles for 2 years and just about over night I was back and walking the street and trying to pick up where I had left off. Going to church is something that I did, not only on Sunday but just about every time I could, because that was where my friends were. So grabbing the new wife and heading off to church was the first thing on my mind in my new duty assignment area, so I contacted the Local Church and talk to the Pastor.

The Pastor said that he and his wife would drop by our home and pick us up for Sunday service. My wife was with child and was wearing a pant suite thing that was normal back in the early 70's. When the pastor walked into the House everything seem find, until we were getting ready to leave for Church. AT which point He and his Wife looked at mine and asked. "Mrs.....your not going to wear that get-up to church are you?" Then spent the next 10 to 15 minutes telling me and her about how women were not to wear pants in church, his, church... My wife didn't believe in Jesus, and after that, my walk with Christ became even more shaky....

I have gone to some churches that wouldn't allow Jesus to enter, scared He would get mud and blood on their carpets.

ICL~~~My Grandmother used to say, "Engage Brain before operating mouth"....

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If I preached the Word, a good solid, Spirit inspired lesson, one which went straight to the hearts of those listening, and convicted some; dressed in board shorts and a T shirt, wearing trainers, with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other, would that be wrong?

And why?

Is the beer cold?

Yeah but not open and the cigar is not lit.

I'm a wimp, sigh..........

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I agree we need to dress modestly, but I disagree with some of what he said. For instance he missed entirely why Achan sinned. It didnt have to do with trying to dress like a babylonian. His comment about a dress code as being part of how some groups survived as a distinct group troubled me too. It makes being a Christian dependent on man and our outward appearance rather than our hearts. He seems to be a bit legalistic. The bible really only tells women to dress modestly. Which isnt only in how much or little ones body is covered but also in how much "bling" we wear. Men should dress modestly too. Beyond that, I dont think there is a need for a "dress code". What is appropriate in Arizona may not be appropriate in Uganda or Fiji or Norway.

I would like to add to this the simple reality What 'IS' of God remains eternal and the corporeal aspects are on a time clock of ending... Let us place our beings upon the eternal and let go of all else! Love, Steven

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Just dress for the occasion....

:thumbsup:

Yeap~!

Wear Bib Overalls And Carry A Big Bat

And Maybe That Good Old Boy Will Get The Meaning Of "No", Bless His Wee Heart

Reminds me of my pappydad! lol As the story goes he got stuck pulling a stump out before church one morning and found he didnt have time to clean up and change into his suit. So he went in his bib overalls covered in dirt but he did clean his hands and face and put on good shoes! Guess the pastor had a good go at ribbing him for years. lol

The way I look at dressing accordingly is this, How would you dress to meet your King and Savior? Most would dress to meet the prez or some important person but many see going to church as a social thing and not really what it is we are really there for, Him, it is the day we all stand before Him as a congregation, as a family and present our sacrifice of praise to Him. Doesnt mean we have to go and buy suits, ties and expensive dresses or whatnot but that we should meet with Him in the manner He expects, with respect and a humbled heart.

shalom,

Mizz

that's the point! The external law could not change the heart... God had to provide a way to give us a brand new heart to write His glory upon...

So I see the clothing and the Spirit scenario-> God does not look on the outward but the inward for that is where He Writes His eternal glory. Love, Steven

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

When my grandfather was a young man (early thirties, and a struggling farmer), one Sunday morning he came to church with all twelve of his kids. That act in itself was noteworthy, as he'd lost his wife (my grandmother) a year before to pneumonia, and what with the Depression going on, and a dozen offsping he was rasing by himself, his church visits were few and far apart.

Anyway, he arrived at the service wearing one of the two pairs of overalls that he had. Those overalls were all the clothes he owned, and he'd cleaned this pair as well as he could. They'd just settled in when the pastor stopped his opening remarks, pointed a long bony finger at my grandpa, and proceeded to rake him over the coals for daring to "dishonor God's house wearing rags." At that my grandpa stood, gathered his kids, and left. To my knowledge he never again went to church for the rest of his life.

So unless someone shows up at a service clad in something blatantly sexy and/or offensive, I shrug it off. Life's too short to major on the minors.

That pastor should have been bounced out on his arrogant posterior......what a terrible thing to do in the Lord's name.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

When my grandfather was a young man (early thirties, and a struggling farmer), one Sunday morning he came to church with all twelve of his kids. That act in itself was noteworthy, as he'd lost his wife (my grandmother) a year before to pneumonia, and what with the Depression going on, and a dozen offsping he was rasing by himself, his church visits were few and far apart.

So unless someone shows up at a service clad in something blatantly sexy and/or offensive, I shrug it off. Life's too short to major on the minors.

That pastor should have been bounced out on his arrogant posterior......what a terrible thing to do in the Lord's name.

I have a very good friend who I was helping through depression for nearly a year. She and her husband have a deaf daughter who is married with four kids and lives in America. When her daughter was still a few years old they went to a church where the pastor told the congregation that she was deaf because of her parents past sins.

She has never set foot in a church again.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

This is not intended to start a huge debate on clothing, etc. I did think it was a good article and it should make us think about what He really expects from His called out people. link

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Yes, it matters what Christians wear. Every Christian is responsible for putting on the Lord Jesus Christ each day. Doing so will affect your wardrobe whether you be man or woman it doesn't matter. Clothe yourself with Christ and you will not offend any of Gods dear children. You will only offend those who are offended in Christ.

Gary

Jesus wore a pirate hat?!? :24: