IGNORED

Is It Acceptable for Christians to Swear?

Mila Friiele

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/29/1963

Exodus 20:7 NASB "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Exodus 20:7 NASB "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Yes, good one. :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You're serious? I wish we had that here! Oh, the teenagers wouldn't know what to say!

i don't know that it's been enforced in the past 50 years, but it is the law here.

We still have blue laws in effect though they are not enforced as far as I know. It is illegal to work seven days a week in Oklahoma.

Blaspheming God is punishable by a fine of $25

and Profane language (taking the Lords name in vain) $1 for every instance.

We have laws against abortion, Homosexuality and Adultry..... but they are not enforceable I'm told for they would be unconstitutional.....

Foul language for the believer isn't right and the scriptures are pretty clear on that. I've also observed that as folks grow in Christ, He tends to lead them away from things that are not glorifying to Him. Every elder believer I have ever met did not use foul language, but spoke with grace as the Bible says. Believers are all works in progress and we are all at different places in our walk with Him. Jesus will lead His own away from things like that, but it may take a while before it happens. The heart must be changed first.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Being former Military I can say that sometimes those words seem to be to only way to get through to some people, however, it is sinning. I have problems picking my words, yet the Lord has been gracefully helping me control my tongue...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Psalms 39:1 NASB I said, "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence."

Romans 12:1-2 NASB Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

James 1:26 NASB If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

James 3:6 NASB And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.

1 Peter 3:10 NASB For, "THE ONE WHO DESIRES LIFE, TO LOVE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, MUST KEEP HIS TONGUE FROM EVIL AND HIS LIPS FROM SPEAKING DECEIT.

Ephesians 4:29 NASB Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Colossians 3:8 NASB But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.

There is no doubt that the Christian should bridle his or her tongue. What is said is a reflection on that person's living testimony for Christ. It should be a given that swearing, profane, and vulgar language is wrong. The lost think about our God as they watch what we say and do. The tongue is a small member of our body but mighty to do good or bad in many ways. The examples would include many more things than just swearing (i.e. lies, strife).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It's not enough to say what not to do. We need alternatives - what to do.

So, if "swear words are simply words we have decided are culturally not acceptable", what would you (anyone) suggest people say instead?

Is it merely the word, or the spirit behind the word?

It's not enough to say what not to do. We need alternatives - what to do.

So, if "swear words are simply words we have decided are culturally not acceptable", what would you (anyone) suggest people say instead?

Is it merely the word, or the spirit behind the word?

This is a VERY good idea/thought. But alternatives will only work if the person is willing to apply them. And if the person believes they need to apply them.

If these swear words are deemed culturally unacceptable, then they would line up with scripture regarding our speech, would they not? I realize too, that any word can be a "swear word", depending on the force/context with which it is used, and that too should be addressed. But as Christians, we are to be different from the world. Honestly, can you see a Christian telling an unbeliever they need f----ing Jesus. Or they need to f---ing get saved and the unbeliever accepting that?

If you found this Christian forum full of posts filled with swearing and foul language, I really don't believe you'd be here. Hey, no s---t man.

We are Christians...called out. In the world, not of the world. I'm not saying we have to be perfect, but we should most definitely be careful how much of the world is in us. We are to be an example to those who do not know Him. We are His ambassadors. :)

Edited by Mila Friiele

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

You're serious? I wish we had that here! Oh, the teenagers wouldn't know what to say!

Judging by what I've seen of teenagers today... they probably COULDN'T say anything, because most of what comes out of their mouths is just filth, regardless of their current emotional state. They just cuss because they feel it's the cool thing to do, haha.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

I think an important thing to remember is not WHAT words are being used. There isn't a biblical dictionary of swear words. Just as with a weapon, it's not that the weapon itself is bad, it's HOW it's used. So if i were to call a woman a COW, of course cow isn't a swear word, but I'm USING that word to insult her, and bring pain, NOT to uplift her or build her up, therefore, that constitutes swearing and unwholesome talk, and therein likes the crime. There are words, like the f-bomb, that unfortunately don't really have any application other than unwholesome talk or insults, so it's pretty safe to say that'd be in the dictionary, if there were one. Any word can be a curse if it's used right, and I think the focus in all these verses is not the specific words, it's the act of cursing, using whatever instrument you so choose.

Judging by what I've seen of teenagers today... they probably COULDN'T say anything, because most of what comes out of their mouths is just filth, regardless of their current emotional state. They just cuss because they feel it's the cool thing to do, haha.

Lol...so it would seem.