• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

This piece of Scripture has always puzzled me a bit. Why on God's green earth would any man offer his daughters to a sexually crazed mob? Is there someone with a better understand of Hebrew who can make sense of this to me?

Gen 19:1

And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

It does not say that he thought these two were men so it is possible he knew them to be angels of the Lord as did Abraham in ch 18. It could be he knew he was protecting angels come down as men

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Youll notice Lot says to the mob, "do with them (his daughters) what is GOOD in your eyes.", then the mob is blinded, by the angels, when they continue pressing in so theres more to be understood than Lot was handing over his daughters.

Genesis 19:8

"See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man, please, let me bring them out to you and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.

Lot thought that in doing so, the "mob" as you put it would take his daughters, thus saving his home and community. It wasnt what seemed good in their eyes but to do with them as they wished, because if the men continued then the angels would be forced to destroy Sodom and Gamorrah for God sent them there to do this very thing less Abraham find 10 good men. As I said earlier, this place was engulfed in debauchery and sin! I dont see much more that is to be understood in the passage other than that Xero, can you find anything that I missed?

~blessings~

Genesis 19:8 "Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof."

I dont know what version you read but it would serve you best to switch to the KJV because its closer to the original. Little things like changing "do what is good in your eyes" to "do what you like with them" have major repercussions in understanding.

Its not your fault. Heres a link and you can see the different variations:

http://bible.cc/genesis/19-8.htm

If you get yourself a strongs concordance (theres plenty of them free online available in PDF format) you can check out the original article and youll see that the KJV is very reliable as far as accuracy in comparison to the original.

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Youll notice Lot says to the mob, "do with them (his daughters) what is GOOD in your eyes.", then the mob is blinded, by the angels, when they continue pressing in so theres more to be understood than Lot was handing over his daughters.

Genesis 19:8

"See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man, please, let me bring them out to you and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.

Lot thought that in doing so, the "mob" as you put it would take his daughters, thus saving his home and community. It wasnt what seemed good in their eyes but to do with them as they wished, because if the men continued then the angels would be forced to destroy Sodom and Gamorrah for God sent them there to do this very thing less Abraham find 10 good men. As I said earlier, this place was engulfed in debauchery and sin! I dont see much more that is to be understood in the passage other than that Xero, can you find anything that I missed?

~blessings~

Genesis 19:8 "Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof."

I dont know what version you read but it would serve you best to switch to the KJV because its closer to the original. Little things like changing "do what is good in your eyes" to "do what you like with them" have major repercussions in understanding.

Its not your fault. Heres a link and you can see the different variations:

http://bible.cc/genesis/19-8.htm

If you get yourself a strongs concordance (theres plenty of them free online available in PDF format) you can check out the original article and youll see that the KJV is very reliable as far as accuracy in comparison to the original.

Thank you Xero, but my bible serves me well seeings how I do have a King James Bible and quoted the scripture by hand not from a link. It appears to me that you looked it up online which is fine but is inconclusive since the scripture from my bible is what you suggest. And I also have a strong concordence on hand and is very helpful. Thank you for the advice Xero as I know as well as you do that having a king James version is better than most, it just doesnt apply to me since I have all of the above. One more thing, you never answered my question, "Was there anything I missed?"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

From the context, Lot is definitely telling those men, 'take my virgin daughters and do whatever you like to them.' Regardless of which translation you use, the man is offering up his own children to this pack of freaks. When he says 'do what is good to them in your sight', it's pretty obvious what he means.

This doesn't seem like a thing a righteous man would do. After all:

1. His daughters are his flesh and blood

2. If he DOES in fact understand that the men staying in his home are angelic beings appearing as humans, then he should also know that they are quite capable of defending themselves (which they did).

That said, I have just had a revelation. Literally.

It was a test, not unlike that of Abraham. God saw that Lot was willing to give his own children up rather than allow these men to suffer the abomination of homosexual rape. Seeing this, the angels quickly defended God's elect and his household.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

From the context, Lot is definitely telling those men, 'take my virgin daughters and do whatever you like to them.' Regardless of which translation you use, the man is offering up his own children to this pack of freaks. When he says 'do what is good to them in your sight', it's pretty obvious what he means.

2. If he DOES in fact understand that the men staying in his home are angelic beings appearing as humans, then he should also know that they are quite capable of defending themselves (which they did).

It was a test, not unlike that of Abraham. God saw that Lot was willing to give his own children up rather than allow these men to suffer the abomination of homosexual rape. Seeing this, the angels quickly defended God's elect and his household.

I agree with you on this.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think I've ever heard that thought process, and it sounds very good to me.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

If you cant see that the mob being made blind was in context to the fact that Lot said do what is good in your eyes nothing I write will make it apparent.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This piece of Scripture has always puzzled me a bit. Why on God's green earth would any man offer his daughters to a sexually crazed mob? Is there someone with a better understand of Hebrew who can make sense of this to me?

ALTER2EGO -to- BOLD BELIEVER:

The idea was Lot's and Lot's alone. Nowhere in the account of Sodom and Gomorrah does it say God told Lot to offer his daughters to the homosexuals trying to break down his door and get at the two angels send by YHWH/Jehovah/Yahwah.

Remember, just because an event is reported in the Bible does not automatically mean God told the individual to do it. There are many events in the Bible that servants of Almighty God did on their own idea. The Bible simply gives us a historical account of the events.

For instance, the Bible's account of David and Bathsheba at 2 Samuel 11:1-17 during which David impregnated Bathsheba, and then set up her husband Uriah to be killed in war, is a perfect example of a servant of God violating God's laws. Likewise, the account of Moses getting angry with the complaining Israelites right after they left Egyptian enslavement—at which time, Moses failed to give glory to YHWH/Jehovah/Yahweh before he struck the rock for water at Numbers 20:1-12is simply a Biblical historical report of Moses' behavior and the consequences. Both David and Moses paid dearly for taking actions that were displeasing to God in these instances.

Edited by Alter2Ego