• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1978

How do you pick a church, personally--or how DID you pick a church? I think I was hasty in my church picking. I picked one with a phenomenal pastor who brought me to Christ and just personally what what I needed. There are some great people at this church, but I'm feeling like maybe it's not my thing. There are only a few young people, there is only one other single mom (as am I) and we don't click. I don't know. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I really am feeling like I made a hastily decision. I want to connect and bond with people and I'm having a hard time doing that. I don't really care much about specific church doctrine--I figure I won't agree with it all wherever I go and as far as that takes me, they're about the same (except, I don't do the catholic thing.) Whatever we do, my kids will still do wednesday night kids programs there because they love them.

Or...maybe the question is what am I hanging onto that is preventing me from being happy?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99

How do you pick a church, personally--or how DID you pick a church? I think I was hasty in my church picking. I picked one with a phenomenal pastor who brought me to Christ and just personally what what I needed. There are some great people at this church, but I'm feeling like maybe it's not my thing. There are only a few young people, there is only one other single mom (as am I) and we don't click. I don't know. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I really am feeling like I made a hastily decision. I want to connect and bond with people and I'm having a hard time doing that. I don't really care much about specific church doctrine--I figure I won't agree with it all wherever I go and as far as that takes me, they're about the same (except, I don't do the catholic thing.) Whatever we do, my kids will still do wednesday night kids programs there because they love them.

Or...maybe the question is what am I hanging onto that is preventing me from being happy?

I picked the current church I'm attending almost entirely based on doctrine and method of study, and it just so happens that they're a really great group of brothers and sisters in Christ. My biggest recommendation would be research. There's also nothing wrong at all with visiting different churches until you find one that you feels suit you doctrinally and emotionally.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Hi Sarah,

I asked in prayer: Lord, if You want me to go to church (I wasn't raised in church and had had a profound spiritual experience! Hahaha...so I really needed to know where to go! ) But my thoughts were this: I did not want to go to a church if God wasn't going to be there...so I prayed and waited...and then it was just like God leading me...I would pass by this one church and I just kept thinking maybe that's the one...then I would talk some more to the girls I was talking to online...then I had a yard sale...the one that changed my life...Hahaha...Alot of things God has used to change me...anyway...This girl came be-bopping up...just was glowing...I asked her where she went to church and it was the same one!!! And God Was There!!! Oh my...Just exactly what I needed at the time...and I've also given myself permission to change churches, if I am so lead...God is so Good!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,309
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Seeing how I go to Church to grow in The Lord ... as to increase in personal relationship with Him... I have no idea

of what else to look for as it is His introduction to me of Himself! His Word is the map of determining Him and not

some other! I think the doctrine is the directions of The Who of God-> so I can't help... for as I see it the most

important part of everything is seeing things the way The Lord does... Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Yeah, after all the other stuff is out of the way, the core issue usually tends to reveal itself. The question is always 'what is wrong with me?', not that there is nothing wrong with them but we are to always look at ourselves first and foremost.

I began at the first church I was invited too. I quickly found fault with them and the guy who gave me the gospel, and left to another. The second one was awesome from the first day I went. It was everything I wanted in a church, but I didn't realize that that was a bad thing until I was already so intertwined with the people as family that leaving wouldn't be easy when necessary. While I was concerned about doctrine, I had no idea that my doctrine as well as theirs was seriously flawed. After 3 years I was given the boot while my wife and children stayed behind, my family suffering a serious rending. Today I go to a new church. One that I believe I was led to by the Holy Spirit. I already know that there are things about doctrines that I do not agree with them on. My reason for attending there is to provoke others unto love and good works since I see the day of the Lord fast approaching. I have sat down with the pastor and explained my position and he is happy to have me there assisting him as I can.

What we know is that we don't know what we need. If we did, we would never have had any problems and would have been perfectly aligned with Gods will from birth. What I suggest you do is ask God to direct you to the church that he would like you to attend right now. We are so used to seeking what we want and to seek what God wants is very foreign to us. Over time as our decisions prove to bring about sour results we tend to become more reliant upon God deciding what we ought to do. Some of us take much longer than others to get to that point but praise God, he is long suffering.

May the Lord God Almighty lead and direct your path to the right place.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/29/1978

Thank you for the thoughts everyone. I have been looking at churches online and they keep having red flags of things that are important to me. Like, for example, the bio of a reverend for one church I looked at was completely about baseball and which teams he preferred. I really don't give a crap about baseball and as I'm sure he was trying to "connect" or be funny, I need a home for my heart and am not wanting to deal with sports. I think, maybe I just need to stick it out for a while. I think my pastor has amazing plans for our church and it will take time for things to change up...Definitely God is alive there, whether I fit in with the people or not.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

When I changed churches it was because it was no longer possible for me to attend there. I was allergic to their air fresheners. We had tried to stick it out for some time. At that time we were invited to visit another church. Always God seemed to close and open doors for us to step through. We looked for a pastor who taught through a book of the Bible and explained the customs or related it to other passages. A good Bible teacher is what we have looked for, I want the Holy Spirit to make it come alive for me and apply it to my life.

The church we attend now we have been in for 9 years. I have to say that I agree with all their doctrine, and we had never before been able to say that. It all comes straight from the Bible and doesn't ignore or explain away verses that seem to contradict.

When I changed churches it was because it was no longer possible for me to attend there. I was allergic to their air fresheners. We had tried to stick it out for some time. At that time we were invited to visit another church. Always God seemed to close and open doors for us to step through. We looked for a pastor who taught through a book of the Bible and explained the customs or related it to other passages. A good Bible teacher is what we have looked for, I want the Holy Spirit to make it come alive for me and apply it to my life.

The church we attend now we have been in for 9 years. I have to say that I agree with all their doctrine, and we had never before been able to say that. It all comes straight from the Bible and doesn't ignore or explain away verses that seem to contradict.

You will find that there are many truths God places in His Word that are not in our understanding, or ability of,

not reconcilable now... I believe they are there for two reasons:

one- fulfillment of His Word

Isa 55:9

9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

So are My ways higher than your ways,

And My thoughts than your thoughts.

NKJV

two- to see (if) we will be obedient upon waiting upon Him by this reckoning

Jer 14:22

22 Are there any among the idols of the nations that can cause rain?

Or can the heavens give showers?

Are You not He, O Lord our God?

Therefore we will wait for You,

Since You have made all these.

NKJV

stitching these two truths together and our present experience- we have the Teacher (all answers) already...

and the knowing in his Good Time! I see people all the time begin to twist and manipulate the Scripture to fit

in the demand of their own minds... I find the desire to humble myself and say I am not able to answer some

things because the Lord has not given me the answer to do so! :)

Eze 22:28-29

28 Her prophets plastered them with untempered mortar, seeing false visions, and divining lies for them, saying,

'Thus says the Lord God,' when the Lord had not spoken.

NKJV

Go slow and certain with the Lord and make sure you learn to listen for the Teacher within!

For He 'IS' The Lord... Love, Steven

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

enoob57, Your advice is very good. Listening to the Holy Spirit has kept me out of trouble for many years. I learned to hold fast to that which is good and leave the rest. (1 Thess. 5:21) We have stayed in 4 different churches of different denominations for about 15 years each, plus this last one for 9. There were always some doctrines I could not accept till we arrived at this last church. There was very little that I could agree with in the church I was raised in which was ultra liberal. It no longer requires members to believe that Jesus arose from the dead or was God in the flesh. Nor does it believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and is to believed as litteraly as possible. I hesitate to even call it Christian.

I found that the more Scripture I applied to my life, the more the Holy Spirit enabled me to understand. People who try to understand the Bible with their logic and intellect often get into more trouble. I don't mean that we should completely ignore those things. But the things of the Spirit are understood by the Spirit of God.1Cor. 2 10-12

Again, this is why I look for a good Bible teacher when I look for a church. And we also depend on the Holy Spirit to lead us to a good church.

I was born again over 53 years ago and have walked in the Spirit for 42. Yet I am sure when I get to heaven I will have questions for the Lord, and will find out that my understanding was imperfect.

enoob57, Your advice is very good. Listening to the Holy Spirit has kept me out of trouble for many years. I learned to hold fast to that which is good and leave the rest. (1 Thess. 5:21) We have stayed in 4 different churches of different denominations for about 15 years each, plus this last one for 9. There were always some doctrines I could not accept till we arrived at this last church. There was very little that I could agree with in the church I was raised in which was ultra liberal. It no longer requires members to believe that Jesus arose from the dead or was God in the flesh. Nor does it believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and is to believed as litteraly as possible. I hesitate to even call it Christian.

I found that the more Scripture I applied to my life, the more the Holy Spirit enabled me to understand. People who try to understand the Bible with their logic and intellect often get into more trouble. I don't mean that we should completely ignore those things. But the things of the Spirit are understood by the Spirit of God.1Cor. 2 10-12

Again, this is why I look for a good Bible teacher when I look for a church. And we also depend on the Holy Spirit to lead us to a good church.

I was born again over 53 years ago and have walked in the Spirit for 42. Yet I am sure when I get to heaven I will have questions for the Lord, and will find out that my understanding was imperfect.

You must be an awesome lady :) Love, Steven