IGNORED

Should we accept the doctrine of the Trinity?

Tyler John

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,436
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept,

Line upon line, line upon line,

Wow...I just read this passage in another thread and I thought that would have been good to include in my post

and here it is...coincidence? don't think so!!!

God's Word does not return to Him void...!!!

Nope and to be used by Him is the value economy of forever... :) Love, Steven

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Absolutly! Accepting the Trinity, which is contained in Scripture even though the word is not used, was what opened my eyes to understand much of the Bible.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Is this a serious question? For the sake of discussion I will entertain this as a serious question. The Holy Spirit came upon Mary. The Lord overshadowed her too. I’m not sure of the mechanics of it. But a baby who was 100% God and 100% man was formed in Mary’s womb. See below in bold and underlined the basis for this thought. This seems pretty basic to me. Only a Divine Messiah could be perfect and be a perfect sacrifice for the atonement of sin for all of mankind.

Of all the assertions made above why the interest in this particular one? Do you disagree with this line of thinking?

Actually it is a very serious question. I interface with Muslims in discussing our differences in religion, and they (Islam) teach their followers that we believe that God came down and had sex with Mary and Jesus was conceived. I don't think that thought ever crossed my mind till I met a Muslim. I was wondering if anyone actually thought that was the case. Have you heard of anyone that teaches that???

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Is this a serious question? For the sake of discussion I will entertain this as a serious question. The Holy Spirit came upon Mary. The Lord overshadowed her too. I’m not sure of the mechanics of it. But a baby who was 100% God and 100% man was formed in Mary’s womb. See below in bold and underlined the basis for this thought. This seems pretty basic to me. Only a Divine Messiah could be perfect and be a perfect sacrifice for the atonement of sin for all of mankind.

Of all the assertions made above why the interest in this particular one? Do you disagree with this line of thinking?

Actually it is a very serious question. I interface with Muslims in discussing our differences in religion, and they (Islam) teach their followers that we believe that God came down and had sex with Mary and Jesus was conceived. I don't think that thought ever crossed my mind till I met a Muslim. I was wondering if anyone actually thought that was the case. Have you heard of anyone that teaches that???

Never heard of this. That is kind of... Well crazy.

Never heard of this. That is kind of... Well crazy.

a lot of the Islamic teaching is crazy to us...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I am finding this very strange. I also know a man who is a Muslim and we have also been discussing our 2 religions. What he told me is totally different than what your Muslim acquaintances told you. He told me that the Muslim people believe Mary was a virgin when she became pregnant with Jesus. I was surprised that they believe Jesus didn't have a human father. My acquaintance said, "oh yes, we know that". He then said that God breathed onto Mary, and she became pregnant.

So I asked him, if you believe God made Mary pregnant, then why don't you believe Jesus is the Son of God? He smiled and looked confused, and said because God is a spirit and doesn't have a son. He then said God also doesn't have a wife or a sister or a brother.

And that was where our discussion ended and I haven't had the chance to discuss this with him again.

I know what he means. I just don't know where to go next with this discussion, when and if I see him again.

Maybe he isn't a typical Muslim? He's an Egyptian and he has lived half his life here and half in Egypt. Maybe he has started to understand some of what we Christians are saying about Jesus.

Anyway, this is why I found it strange that the Muslims you speak to think God had sex with Mary. I would answer that by saying, but then Mary wouldn't have been a virgin, and Jesus wouldn't be what we call a virgin birth.

At least some Muslims are very interested in who Jesus is. That's a good thing.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Here’s what I believe…

A. God the Father

God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace. He is all powerful, all knowing, [...]

Hello GoldenEagle,

I just want to express my view about the issue of God's purported omniscience.

Actually, in my opinion, there is no Bible verse stating that God indeed knew everything although there are many verses that point out how big God's knowledge is.

To avoid a lenghty discussion: I do not want to say that God does not know everything. I just keep in mind that there is no Bible verse that gives the evidence about God's omniscience.

Look perhaps also at the thread "Why Is God All Good" in which this question has been discissed among others and many scripture verses were cited.

Have a very good day

Thomas

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The problem is there are so very many different denominations and church groups all saying this same thing. Are they showing love for each other as our Lord commanded us to do? No, not at that point. They're too much feeling angry and prideful.

Well maybe everyone should stick to the truth then and stop spreading false doctrine

The Bible declares God as three persons.

IMO, all this talk of love love love is just an excuse to accept sin.

The love of God does not accept sin. So, should we be concerned about people's salvation or should we just buy 'em a Starbuck's

gift card and say 'I love you man...'

God, sent thousands of people to death, including children, at the hands of the Israelites. God has not changed. He hates sin and does

not accept it.

Is that love? You know, there are many Christians who don't like to be reminded of that. They consider the fact that God is Holy

just another four letter word

We are not to bring down God to our level of understanding. His Words lift us up to a higher level of understanding

In case I have not made myself clear , God does not accept our polluted offerings of love. He already gave us His best

love and it was perfect and without sin

God says to be holy because He is holy. What does that mean to you? I'll tell you what it does not mean... it does not

mean God understands and just accepts our corrupted idea of love because it makes us feel gooshy and gives us

goosebumps

I agree with much of what you say, but take issue with two things.

First, 'all this talk of love, love, love' comes from Jesus, not us lot! Just because some people talk about love in a sentimentalised way (e.g. 'buy 'em a Starbuck's') does not make redundant the principles of love as set out and demonstrated by Jesus.

Second, and returning to the isssue of the thread, I cannot agree with your statement that 'The Bible declares God as three persons.' This is simpy not true. The bible reveals him as three persons and explains him as three persons, but never 'declares' him so. Surely, if we trust scripture we should represent it wholly, but not make claims beyond that which it claims itself. John said of his Revelation, we should neither add nor take away from what it says, and the same is surely true of all scripture.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Here’s what I believe…

A. God the Father

God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace. He is all powerful, all knowing, [...]

Hello GoldenEagle,

I just want to express my view about the issue of God's purported omniscience.

Actually, in my opinion, there is no Bible verse stating that God indeed knew everything although there are many verses that point out how big God's knowledge is.

To avoid a lenghty discussion: I do not want to say that God does not know everything. I just keep in mind that there is no Bible verse that gives the evidence about God's omniscience.

Look perhaps also at the thread "Why Is God All Good" in which this question has been discissed among others and many scripture verses were cited.

Have a very good day

Thomas

Thanks Thomas for your thoughts. I will check out that thread you mentioned.

Regarding God's omniscience...

God has a plan for everyone.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord, plans of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

God foreknew even before He created us who would accept Him and reject Him.

Romans 8:29

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

God’s knowledge and understanding is infinite and cannot be measured.

Psalm 147:4-5

He counts the number of the stars;

He calls them all by name.

Great is our Lord, and mighty in power;

His understanding is infinite.

Have a great Monday!

His,

Eagle

I am finding this very strange. I also know a man who is a Muslim and we have also been discussing our 2 religions. What he told me is totally different than what your Muslim acquaintances told you. He told me that the Muslim people believe Mary was a virgin when she became pregnant with Jesus. I was surprised that they believe Jesus didn't have a human father. My acquaintance said, "oh yes, we know that". He then said that God breathed onto Mary, and she became pregnant.

So I asked him, if you believe God made Mary pregnant, then why don't you believe Jesus is the Son of God? He smiled and looked confused, and said because God is a spirit and doesn't have a son. He then said God also doesn't have a wife or a sister or a brother.

And that was where our discussion ended and I haven't had the chance to discuss this with him again.

I know what he means. I just don't know where to go next with this discussion, when and if I see him again.

Maybe he isn't a typical Muslim? He's an Egyptian and he has lived half his life here and half in Egypt. Maybe he has started to understand some of what we Christians are saying about Jesus.

Anyway, this is why I found it strange that the Muslims you speak to think God had sex with Mary. I would answer that by saying, but then Mary wouldn't have been a virgin, and Jesus wouldn't be what we call a virgin birth.

At least some Muslims are very interested in who Jesus is. That's a good thing.

He is telling you what the Koran says about how Mary became pregnant and it's really not any different than what I have always believed, but the Hadiths of Mohammad's sayings is where the other comes from. It is possible that the people I was talking with were just using modern language to put their point across. My reply to them was that I agreed with them because if that had happened then Mary wouldn't have been a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. My question about why they didn't consider Jesus as the son of God was what brought on their version of what we supposedly taught.