• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

It has been said: “God will never put more on you than you can handle.”

93130__sup_l.jpg

In other words, when you’re having a hard time, you can rest assured, they say, that God won’t let you break under whatever pressure is upon you. He will not let you succumb to whatever trial you may be enduring. It assumes that God is like Superman. Just when the building has caved and you are sure to be crushed, Superman arrives and pulls you free. Likewise, when circumstances become weighty on your shoulders, God swoops down to help lift them.

This “verse” is so accepted as true that it’s made it’s way into popular Christian music. For instance, contemporary Christian popsters Group1Crew happily sing in their song “He Said,”

“Don’t forget what He said;

He said I won’t give you more,

more then you can take

and I might let you bend,

but I won’t let you break.”

Did God really say that? This all sounds noble and heroic, but it is not necessarily true. Let’s look at why.

1. The Bible simply doesn’t say that God will never put more on you than you can handle. This is a misreading of 1 Corinthians 10:13, which says, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

This verse is couched in the middle of Paul’s discussion of Israel’s problem with idolatry. Therefore, this verse has to deal with idolatry. The temptation spoken of was the temptation to abandon God for other things, in the case of the wilderness-wandering Israelites: sex, fun, false gods, and grumbling (

1 Corinthians 10:6-11).

Second, I believe the bronze serpent incident in

Numbers 21:4-9 is implied. In the wilderness, the Israelites began to become disenchanted with God’s provision, and they began to complain. As a result, God sent “fiery snakes” into the camp to bite and kill the Israelites. But God provided a way of escape. The “way of escape” was God had Moses fashion a brazen serpent and place it high on a pole. Whoever looked at the serpent wouldn’t be killed (21:9).

In both cases, the mediator and bronze serpent pointed to Jesus. Paul wanted the Corinthians to know that the cure for immorality, idolatry, and bitterness was Jesus. He was the way of escape from idolatry and its sinful manifestations.

bible_hands.250w.tn.jpgone_way_right_arrow_sign.jpgJesusAkiane170x227.jpg

None of this assumes that God won’t deliver his people from many uncomfortable situations and burdens. We know he does (

Psalm 68:19). However, the context of 1 Corinthians 10:13 makes it clear that the escape is from sin, and not a stressful job, unpayable bills, or bad relationships.

2. God always puts more on us than we can handle. Sometimes the Lord, in his sovereign purpose, crushes us (

Hebrews 12:4-12). He breaks us so that he can remake us. Think of how Jeremiah cried out in Lamentations because God has left his nation, city, and people utterly desolate and decimated. Think of all the psalms in which the psalmists cry out to God for bruising them. Think of our Lord Jesus in whom “it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer” (Isaiah 53:10).

Therefore, it would be untrue to state that God won’t place more on us than we can bear. He has, he does, and he will. But, he has provided One to bear wrath for us: Jesus.

If it were not for Jesus bearing our innumerable iniquity in himself, we too, would be utterly destroyed under sin’s unbearable weight. That’s where grace comes in. If it weren’t for the grace in which we stand (

Romans 5:2), we would surely fall. This life, and our sin is more than anyone of us can handle. However, God chose to lay our burdens on the back of his Son so that we do not have to bear them (Isaiah 53:6).

It would be more accurate to say that God will never place more on us than Jesus can handle.

in_jesus_arms.jpg

3. Christians are unhealthily obsessed with escapism. No one likes pain. No one likes suffering. No one likes to be uncomfortable in any way. But, all these things are part and parcel of the Christian life. The Scriptures say “Now if we are children, then we are heirs–heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory (Romans 8:17), and “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings” (Philippians 3:10).

SEO-Easy-Button.png

The call to follow Christ is a call to suffer.

take-up-your-cross.jpg

It is a call to bear certain yoke (

Matthew 11:29), and carry a certain cross (Matthew 16:24). But, the majority of Christendom is obsessed with escaping Christ’s yoke and his cross. We are more concerned with being safe and comfortable. Therefore, it it easy and almost natural for us to expect God to deliver us from our burdens and thorns in the flesh. But, deliverance may not be God’s plan for us, and we must be, like Paul, prepared to accept it.

Unfortunately, too many pastors and Christian celebs parrot the message that coming to Christ and belonging to God equals comfort. I’ve heard many pastors say, when pleading with sinners, “Come to Jesus and all your problems and cares will go away.” This is false, unbiblical, and dangerous. What happens when God chooses to turn up the refiner’s fire in their lives?

They become angry at God and disenchanted with his people.

4. God gives us one another to bear burdens. One of the sweetest things in the Bible is how God’s people are there to bear one another’s burdens. Far from providing an Easy Street escape, God often provides others to help us shoulder the load. Indeed, Galatians 6:2 encourages believers to “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

burdens.jpg

In conclusion, it is popular to believe that God will not place more on us than we can handle. However, there is ample scriptural evidence to suggest otherwise. An unbiblical escapist mentality is often the culprit. Harboring novel interpretations of Scripture does not produce hope, rather it produces hopelessness when our false expectations are not realized.

What do you think?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Very well put. I believe that the northern kingdom understood this when the Assyrian armies came in and swept them away into other nations and replaced them with a people who knew not God. Idolatry is strictly forbidden and John warned us to flee from it as well. We simply need to understand that God is God, and is exactly as he has presented himself unto us in the Holy Scriptures. We are being brought through the refiners fire to the end that we might be vessels of honor fitted for the masters use. Sometimes it hurts.

Gary

i think you're an amazing writer, and you pegged this one perfectly. so many people have this notion that when they become christians, their life is supposed to get easy. then when it doesn't, they turn away from God. if they'd only had the truth explained to them in the first place, they'd have known what to expect and maybe they would remain in Christ. awesome study, Jon!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thank you, GoldenEagle!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

i think you're an amazing writer, and you pegged this one perfectly. so many people have this notion that when they become christians, their life is supposed to get easy. then when it doesn't, they turn away from God. if they'd only had the truth explained to them in the first place, they'd have known what to expect and maybe they would remain in Christ. awesome study, Jon!

yes ..you are right ...LadyC... When I first got saved years ago..all I heard was ...from the word of faith pastors , evangelist, that pump us up

with faith . That we will have a better life , with financial prosperity and bring up scripture with it. And give money and God promises you this ,

in scripture.

I was a giver in money to them ... and I am not getting the benifits of living a better financial life , as to what Gods promises are.

It sure didn't happen for me... and I do walk the chalk line before God, daily. Trying to be obedient .

Its like from ...faith to discouragement .

This is a good article ...Eagle :thumbsup:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

God is the potter and we the clay.

A pastor onced said... we are a clay pot ...and God puts us into the oven to bake...for a time then takes us out of the oven to sit on a shelf for a while.

Then back in the oven again.

(quote) eagle

2. God always puts more on us than we can handle. Sometimes the Lord, in his sovereign purpose, crushes us (Hebrews 12:4-12). He breaks us so that he can remake us.

Well these heavy burdens on me all the time... yes I said all the time... I told God ...." to please stop it or I will crack ".

This clay pot will crack... I cannot take and handle all of these burdens alone ...plus I being a heart and brain stroke patient.

Then , I have to care for my 37 year old son ...who is disabled...mentally from birth. He is co-dependent on me.

Where is His promises of prosperity as promised in scripture ?... the pastors say... speak Gods word into your life.

I did it for years.

I surely am very disappointed .

yes ..you are right ...LadyC... When I first got saved years ago..all I heard was ...from the word of faith pastors , evangelist, that pump us up

with faith . That we will have a better life , with financial prosperity and bring up scripture with it. And give money and God promises you this ,

in scripture.

I was a giver in money to them ... and I am not getting the benifits of living a better financial life , as to what Gods promises are.

It sure didn't happen for me... and I do walk the chalk line before God, daily. Trying to be obedient .

Its like from ...faith to discouragement .

This is a good article ...Eagle

Hi thanks Love Songs.

I’m so sorry for your discouragement regarding the teachings you mentioned. What you are describing is the Prosperity “gospel” (little “g”) which is not the Gospel [truth] of Christ in the Bible. The Prosperity “gospel” is not true. I consider it spiritual abuse and serious mishandling of God’s Word.

The important thing is to keep trusting God. He loves you very much and will carry you through the storms of life.

"When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever." - Proverbs 10:25

Everything was created for God for Whom we exist.

1 Corinthians 8:6 "Yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist."

Why does God allow us to go through storms?

storms.jpg

A. To Strengthen our Character

James 1:2-4 says that the testing of our faith produces patient endurance, which in turn takes us closer to maturity and perfection. That is why James says we should count it all joy when we find ourselves in the various trials of life. Trials have a way of strengthening our character.

B. To Teach a Lesson about God's Will

Whenever you find yourself in a storm, you need to get ready to learn some important truths. God can teach us things in the storm that He cannot teach us in any other way. See Matthew 14:22-33. Now they had obeyed Jesus, they were in His will, and yet they went through a storm. Many Christians have the mistaken idea that obedience to God's will produces "smooth sailing." But this is not true. Furthermore, the storm came because they were in the will of God and not, like Jonah, out of the will of God.

C. To Experience God in a Fresh, New Way

The storm (Matthew 14:22-33) gave Jesus another opportunity to work in their lives. This led to an experience of His great salvation and victory over the storm. So if you are in God's will, and yet find yourself in the storm, then get ready, because God is about to do a work in your life, and teach you some lessons! When you go through a storm following God's will, you can be sure that Christ will be with you to deliver you from the storm.

God is the potter and we the clay.

A pastor onced said... we are a clay pot ...and God puts us into the oven to bake...for a time then takes us out of the oven to sit on a shelf for a while.

Then back in the oven again.

(quote) eagle

2. God always puts more on us than we can handle. Sometimes the Lord, in his sovereign purpose, crushes us (Hebrews 12:4-12). He breaks us so that he can remake us.

Well these heavy burdens on me all the time... yes I said all the time... I told God ...." to please stop it or I will crack ".

This clay pot will crack... I cannot take and handle all of these burdens alone ...plus I being a heart and brain stroke patient.

Then , I have to care for my 37 year old son ...who is disabled...mentally from birth. He is co-dependent on me.

Where is His promises of prosperity as promised in scripture ?... the pastors say... speak Gods word into your life.

I did it for years.

I surely am very disappointed .

Once again I’m sorry for your disappointment Love Songs. You are a wonderful woman to care for your son. God loves you very much! You are princess of the King of Kings!

miriam_god_loves_you_web.jpg

In Christ,

Eagle

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

Great thread! Thanks Eagle for sharing these thoughts. I have had a misunderstanding of this passage and this helps to clarify a lot of things.

Very well put. I believe that the northern kingdom understood this when the Assyrian armies came in and swept them away into other nations and replaced them with a people who knew not God. Idolatry is strictly forbidden and John warned us to flee from it as well. We simply need to understand that God is God, and is exactly as he has presented himself unto us in the Holy Scriptures. We are being brought through the refiners fire to the end that we might be vessels of honor fitted for the masters use. Sometimes it hurts.

Gary

Thanks Gary for the encouragement & perspective.

Thanks LadyC for your encouragement and your perspective. God is good. All the time. ;)

Thank you, GoldenEagle!

Thanks for the encouragement Nebula. ;)

Great thread! Thanks Eagle for sharing these thoughts. I have had a misunderstanding of this passage and this helps to clarify a lot of things.

Glad to help. ;) How do you think you misunderstood this passage?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

You know, going through what you have to say, I do understand it, but I also disagree. Yes, the verses in the song I posted link to that passage, and its talking about temptation, but I don't think it was applying just to the people there about that specific temptation, I think its about all temptation-I don't believe that God will ever give us so much temptation, or lead us anywhere in life, where there isnt a way out. You bring up a good point, yes God likes to break us down-and yes we face trials and tribulations, but we are never without an escape. Lets look at some examples.

Job, Job was completly broken down-all his wealth, family everything was taken from him, his own wife cursed him. This is the point where most people would fall into temptation, and curse God, yet Job remained faithful, he stuck to it, and God rewarded him for it, He was not in a situation he could not escape.

King Saul. Saul, had it all-kingdom, riches, family. Yet, he chose to fall into the temptations of pride, and jealousy, and they ultimatly became his downfall. So did King David, but unlike Saul, King david came back to God, and Saul did not. Saul had the option to remain strong, yet chose not to.

Just because we always have the choice to remain faithful, and an avenue of escape, doesnt mean we always take it, in fact, being human, we often choose not to. But God is faithful-if we follow him, He will always deliver us-it maybe on this earth, it maybe in heaven, but He always will, and that is what that passage says to me. And I think that song I posted, proclaims that message loud and clear.