• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

A pastor, who was a part of a large enough party for an automatic tip to be added to the bill, left a note griping about giving the waitress a higher percentage than God. The waitress posted the note on-line. The pastor complained to the manager, claiming it harmed her reputation.

Article here

Any comments?

A pastor, who was a part of a large enough party for an automatic tip to be added to the bill, left a note griping about giving the waitress a higher percentage than God. The waitress posted the note on-line. The pastor complained to the manager, claiming it harmed her reputation.

Any comments?

“My heart is really broken,” Bell added. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I saw the note. He stiffed her a tip from what I saw. He also gave Christians a bad name from the original story.

However, she was wrong to post the receipt.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

The pastor should've just paid the tip. Anyone who dines out knows that if there are 6-8 people or more in a party, the tip is added automatically. This person had to know that before even walking in and sitting down, and if she wasn't okay with paying what she knew was going to be expected, she shouldn't have ordered food and eaten there.

Likewise the waitress should've taken the note in stride and just thrown it away. I'm sure this hasn't been the first jerk she served and I'll bet it won't be the last. In the service industry, the cutomer is always right, and customer is king. If this waitress doesn't have the chops to shrug something like this off, she's in the wrong industry.

Unfortunate situation all around.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,089
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  241
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I have never understood the habit of automatically adding a " tip " ... the whole point of tipping is to reward ( at your descresion ) excellent service. The price you pay for a meal is or should be printed on the menu and no one has the right to demand that you pay more just because there are a certain number in the group. People employed should be paid a living wage and not have to rely on other people's generosity.

If the pastor did not think the service she recieved was over and above what you would expect she should simply have stated so when she refused the DEMAND for extra payment ..what she tithes or in her words " gives to God " is or should be private and between her and God NOT used as a nasty way to say NO

However it was a gross violation of her rights as a customer to have her bill published like that and could have led to identity theft or anything similar and the company were right to employ sanctions against the waitress that did it . If the pastor is embarrassed I wonder why ? Does she think she was wrong ? if so then she should appologise if not then there is no need to be embarrased

Hmm . . .

In Germany the "tip" was added automatically to everyone's bill. My friends told me that it was partly custom, and partly the taxman wanting his cut. It saved me the trouble of doing the math when we ate out, which was fairly often back then.

On the OP, it seems an unfortuneate situation all the way around since the pastor should have (a) left God out of it, and (b) known better than to stiff 'em on the tip for a party that size anyway. The waitress should have known things posted on the internet can get out of hand and shouldn't have posted the note to begin with.

When The Server Is Having A Bad Day, Anonymously Double The Tip :)

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

(As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. 2 Corinthians 9:6-9

IMO

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Luckily, his parishioners don't balk at giving tithes and offerings. I don't know I just said that.

Luke 6

43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.

44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush.

45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

The strange thing about this is that the note was not posted by the original server but by another waitress to whom it was shown. This is the woman who was fired. The pastor humiliated HERSELF by her actions. If you don't want to pay the gratuity then stay out of restaurants. They all add it to the bill if the party is large enough.