• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Quote: "Their are several things that can cause a chemical imbalance in the brain. One of those is a virus. If you have a good therapist they should be able to distinguish where the problem lies .No one should ever put a person on a medication if they do not need it. It only complicates the situation"

Yes Bopeep, I agree with you. But as far as I know, there are no blood tests for depression to see which chemical is lacking. Besides this, most recent AD meds effect the same chemicals, but in slightly different ways. So it's always an educated guess made by a Doc who has seen depression many times before, and which drug he thinks will work best. Sometimes the first guess is right, but it's more common to be a hit and miss procedure.

Since most AD meds don't work on me, this is something I have always been annoyed about. If you have a bacterial infection they can do a culture to determine which bacteria it is, and then use the antibiotic that is known to best kill that form of bacteria. But sadly, there is nothing like this with depression.

Nevertheless, many people are helped by 1 or more AD meds, although others are not. I'm in the group that are not. But I only know this because I've been trying them since I was 20.

To the OP I don't think you hurt your reputation by seeking help for an emotional or mental illness. I once tried going to a counselor who was a music minister in his church. It did me no good. We weren't a good fit. Therapy is a relationship, and the therapist and the patient, or client, need to fit. Sometimes I knew right away. But the standard rule of thumb is 3 months. If you aren't feeling better when you leave a session after 3 months, you should get a new counselor if possible.

And I'd like to add, never take advice from a person who has never needed a counselor. That's like learning to fish from someone who has never gone fishing. IMHO

I suppose that I did hurt my reputation, if that means anything.

What I am going through doesn't involve just me, but other family member that are mad at me.

I've been through that myself. You can only do what you can do, and leave the rest to the Lord. I tried to make amends for the wrongs I did, but some in my family (who are not saved) choose to be unforgiving. That's their choice, not mine. I've given it to the Lord and pray for them and moved on because its all I can do at this point. Only God can change a heart.

There is nothing wrong with seeking help for depression, etc. I'm a drug addict that only Jesus could clean up -- and if anyone inside the church or outside has a problem with that it's their issue and not mine. I've long since passed the point of worrying about what other think of me. Jesus said the world would hate us anyway, so I just try to make sure Jesus is the reason for the hatred and not me being a jerk. :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

When I was 12 I took my dog through AKC dog training class; later I used the basics of dog training of being consistant, rèwarding for good behavior and not rèwarding bad behavior when raising my kids. Later I learned it was basic psychology. However, when it contradicts scripture I go with scripture, Once in a while my kids needed a spanking and ignoring bad behavior didn't work well with our kids.

I have a friend whose child is bi polar. There is no questìon about her need for medication. But except for this diagnosis, any medical doctor can prescribe most medications. After the last of my family died I had a thought of suicide, which scared me into going to a medical doctor. He gave me three week course of an antidepressant and it was enough for me to plan a course of action for getting òn with my life. This is the last step of the grieving proçess.

I have never been to a psyçhologist or a psychiatrist but there are times that meds do help. However they are terribly overused.

I am sure there is a place for these so çalled sçiences but I have some reservatiòns about çounseling that is not Bible based. The adviçe that comes from the world will mold you into their likenèss and not in the likeness of Christ. So all advice must be weighed against Gòd's Word.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I have to add that my dad was a secular social worker and counselor, specializing in family counseling. At home that made him an extremely good listener and he always supported us in every way he could emotionally. I don't ever remember him criticising or butting in after we were married.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Would you as a Christian go to a Psychologist? How can they help anyone.

How can dealing with the psychi help anyone and not touching on the spiritual.

When I got post traumatic stress disorder, and was waking up screaming from nightmares for months, I went to see a psychologist. Im glad I did. There are times seeing someone is quite beneficial.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Sorry, I didn't participate yesterday, I was out of town.

Thanks to all those who have replied and prayed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

:heart:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

If you wanna go...go...nothing changes with God . He is still God, He still loves you...sometimes people mean well,

but trite answers are not what someone wants when they need help

I have counselled people (Biblically)...believe it or not...and it can be very beneficial. There is NO stigma in seeking help or asking for advice.