• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Anyone else ready to give up television altogether?

Said good riddance to mine 6 months after converting to Christianity and never looked back. I knew that it was full of garbage I shouldn't be watching that I had previously enjoyed thoroughly. Romans always comes to mind.

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I'll really be into a nature program when - BAM - they hit me with Evil-lution.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Said good riddance to mine 6 months after converting to Christianity and never looked back. I knew that it was full of garbage I shouldn't be watching that I had previously enjoyed thoroughly. Romans always comes to mind.

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

way to take a passage out of context. That passage is referring to people who refuse christianity and pursue their own lustful desires and sins, instead. Can TV fall into this category? yes. But not all TV is-there is still some good, clean television out there-such as duck dynasty. There are also several shows that while arnt "christian" are clean. and to come out and say all TV is evil, and that everyone who watches it, seems to speak just a bit of pride if you ask me.

way to take a passage out of context. That passage is referring to people who refuse christianity and pursue their own lustful desires and sins, instead. Can TV fall into this category? yes. But not all TV is-there is still some good, clean television out there-such as duck dynasty. There are also several shows that while arnt "christian" are clean. and to come out and say all TV is evil, and that everyone who watches it, seems to speak just a bit of pride if you ask me.

So you choose to attack my character. Nice move Pat. That is a pivotal move by anyone who is cut by that which is said. Just ask David's brother. Of course I never said all TV was evil. I said that I was watching a lot of things that I knew I should not be watching and chose to get rid of my TV all together. Maybe you want to go back and read what I wrote? I did say that the TV was full of garbage. I did not say that the TV only has garbage on it. Cheers.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

there is a new series on the history channel called the bible. actually pretty good. violent, not for kids..

but other than that, there is absolutely nothing that interests me on television. nothing.

now that mine eyes have been opened, i can't even watch a film in the same light i once did.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I have also given up watching TV. Although to be honest this came about 2 years ago because I could no longer afford to pay for even channels 2 - 13.

What surprises me is that what I miss is the news and shows like the History Channel. I was watching 2 1/2 Men before I lost TV, but that show disturbed me anyway.

I do like good Sci-Fi so I miss some of that. But too much of Sci-Fi seems to me to be aimed at making us think God isn't real. And I hate to say this, because one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi is Star Trek, and I've known for a long, long time that Star Trek puts ideas in peoples heads that are not of God. It took me decades to learn how to enjoy Star Trek without it effecting my beliefs. But I finally did it.

So I don't watch any modern TV and I'll rent a movie maybe 3 times a year.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I would be interested in more people's impressions of the History Channel's series; "The Bible". I watched the first part of the first show but I turned it off when I saw the one angel smile and seemingly enjoy his slaughter of people in the scene from Sodom. I do not think that God takes pleasure in the killing of any, even the evil, and that angel seemed to gleefully take lives.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

So you choose to attack my character. Nice move Pat. That is a pivotal move by anyone who is cut by that which is said. Just ask David's brother. Of course I never said all TV was evil. I said that I was watching a lot of things that I knew I should not be watching and chose to get rid of my TV all together. Maybe you want to go back and read what I wrote? I did say that the TV was full of garbage. I did not say that the TV only has garbage on it. Cheers.

It wasnt an attack on your character, however, looking back on that, I can see where one could think I was, and I do apologize, please forgive me-it really was not intended as such, one of those speak before I think type deals.

Now, let me rephrase my argument. I got the impression that you were arguing that all tv was "evil" and that we should not be watching it, and it came across as a "you shalt not watch tv" using that one verse, which I feel was taken a bit out of context, especially if we were just to take the one verse-which is what led to my misunderstanding of your initial post.

Again, I apologize for offending you-I know I have a tendency to be brash in my debating, and usually I think through my replies and edit multiple times before pushing the post button. This was one of the times I did not, and it was foolish of me. I am sorry.

It wasnt an attack on your character, however, looking back on that, I can see where one could think I was, and I do apologize, please forgive me-it really was not intended as such, one of those speak before I think type deals.

Now, let me rephrase my argument. I got the impression that you were arguing that all tv was "evil" and that we should not be watching it, and it came across as a "you shalt not watch tv" using that one verse, which I feel was taken a bit out of context, especially if we were just to take the one verse-which is what led to my misunderstanding of your initial post.

Again, I apologize for offending you-I know I have a tendency to be brash in my debating, and usually I think through my replies and edit multiple times before pushing the post button. This was one of the times I did not, and it was foolish of me. I am sorry.

No problem Pat. I also see how my words could have been taken other than I meant. It is way to common. "There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure cause you know sometimes words have two meanings." For this cause I try to be as understanding as I can and the whole not in person forum typing out and reading of words leaves so much open to the evil one to throw out a thought for us to sink our teeth into. Sorry if I misunderstood your intentions myself.

About the bible on the History channel deal: I am not watching it but I am hearing about it second hand at work through a guy who is. From what he shared, it is anything but the real deal. Buyer beware.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

I would be interested in more people's impressions of the History Channel's series; "The Bible". I watched the first part of the first show but I turned it off when I saw the one angel smile and seemingly enjoy his slaughter of people in the scene from Sodom. I do not think that God takes pleasure in the killing of any, even the evil, and that angel seemed to gleefully take lives.

yes, some suspicious scenes indeed..

and i agree, the angel "fight" scenes were a bit disturbing. and that was just one example in the beginning.

reminds me of the non-scriptural demonized children tormenting Judas in "The Passion". was just wrong..

for a show boldly labeled "The Bible", being aired on the "History" channel, you would expect them to be accurate.

watching this type of modern day dramatization on video is still fun to me though.