AmateurPoet03

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

The pastor along with missionary, guest speaker at our church posed a great questions this morning:

Are you a hindrance or access to Christ for others?

The fifth Chapter of Luke presents an excellent reflection of such an instance for all believers in Christ to meditate on and ask....am I blocking others from Christ or am I working as a means of access for others to Christ?

Luke 5:17-26 (KJV)

17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.18 And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him.19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus.20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? 22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? 23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? 24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. 25 And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to day. The religious leaders of the time were not leading people to Christ, rather they were his opposition. They hardened their hearts against Him and sought to trap Him. Friends in this time, determined to get their sick friend to Christ, lowered him down THROUGH THE ROOF...now that, is faith in action!

Personally, I want to be an access. Realistically, there are times I am likely much more of a hindrance. Found this to be just a wonderful and powerful message.

So....please consider this...

Just Some Food For Thought

Guest Marcus Drake

I'm a sinner so I am a hindrance... but in the same I am a follower of Christ (Christian) so I am an access. I'm a hypocrite, I don't always do what I need to do and say what I need to say but sometimes I do. If I was perfect I wouldn't need Christ. As a Christian I try to live my life by good works so Christ can be seen in me but I do slip. So to answer the question you ask isn't easy for any fleshly person. Just like it says in Mat 26:41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." My spirit is truly willing to be an access to Christ but my sinful flesh sometimes becomes a hindrance not only for others but for myself as well.

I'm a sinner so I am a hindrance... but in the same I am a follower of Christ (Christian) so I am an access. I'm a hypocrite, I don't always do what I need to do and say what I need to say but sometimes I do. If I was perfect I wouldn't need Christ. As a Christian I try to live my life by good works so Christ can be seen in me but I do slip. So to answer the question you ask isn't easy for any fleshly person. Just like it says in Mat 26:41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." My spirit is truly willing to be an access to Christ but my sinful flesh sometimes becomes a hindrance not only for others but for myself as well.

Marcus,

Thank you for sharing. The importance of being a light unto others is truly significant. It is something we all should strive to be. Yet, we all need to make sure that pride does not become a obstacle in the process. Humility is truly precious, as is honesty, compassion, and integrity. Thank you again for sharing.

Blessings To You...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I'm also faced with this specific issue in my life right now, and with a so-called-Christian too. My response to their abuse can either help or hinder their walk with God. So far, I've tried everything I can, as Christ-like as I could manage, and I must say He has really shed His grace upon me in this matter; but the battle is far from finished. Will let you know how it goes. I hope I'm an access point and not a barricade to them. We'll see.

I'm also faced with this specific issue in my life right now, and with a so-called-Christian too. My response to their abuse can either help or hinder their walk with God. So far, I've tried everything I can, as Christ-like as I could manage, and I must say He has really shed His grace upon me in this matter; but the battle is far from finished. Will let you know how it goes. I hope I'm an access point and not a barricade to them. We'll see.

Zion,

My heart goes out to you. In a way, I can relate. Sometimes we see things and know of things that others who claim to be God-fearing, do. There are days....that I will not lie to you, I have been urged to shout...yell...grab them by the shoulders...inquire after them...and utterly condemn individuals that I see. Yet, it is in times like that...that sometimes, on the brink of tears I have to turn to God and say...I know I am a sinner too. God please, grant me patience so that way I can be a beacon of hope and love for You unto them.

Hang in there....hold true. Pick up the shield of faith and carry it with you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Thanks for the encouragement, it's hard going at the moment. I pray that God opens their eyes so that they'll stop being a hindrance themselves and become true access points. In Jesus Name.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

This is what Paul says:

Romans 7:15

For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.

Ef 2:8

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-

Thank you Jesus !

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,256
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

We all hope to not hinder others from coming to Christ. However, unbelievers make up their own rules about what a Christian should or should not do, and they are not based on Scripture. For instance, 35 years ago my hubby would refuse to come to the table when dinner was ready and insist we start without him; then he would eat what was left. It aggrevated me, but it was his insistance. His sister accused me of not being a Christian because I did not serve him first at the table.

The point is that they have their own ideas of right and wrong that they hold us to. It may involve common courtesy, such as hand written thank you notes. It may involve child raising such as putting a binding around a prodruding umbilicle of an infant. Their bible may be Emily Post or old wives tales and traditions. It may be Ben Franklin or Shakespear. Or it may be "everyone is doing it" and "there is no black and white--only shades of gray",

The only way to reach people is to continue to extend Christ's loving forgiveness to them over years, and to pray for them. The very people who accuse us of being judgemental or discriminating against others are usually the ones who are themselves doing those very things. So we pray that God would remove their blindness, soften their hearts, and receive Him in spite of us.