IGNORED

Who grows a vegetable garden and what do you grow?

angels4u

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Another thought regarding tomatoes:  Every year I usually have a vast amount of volunteer cherry tomato plants in my garden.  This year I did not have a single sprout.  I found it strange.  Last year I had thousands and had to pull them like weeds.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I have strawberry plants, watermelon, cantelope, and honeydue ...........broccoli, asparagus, onions, brusselsprouts, sugar snap peas, string beans, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, cherry peppers, habanero peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, egg plant, green and yellow zucchini.......and I have another smaller garden w/ tomatoes and herbs........I also have concord, catawba, and Niagara grapes, blueberries, cranberries, cherry, elderberry, apple, and mulberry trees, black raspberries, and black berries. The strawberries, onions, peas, beans, cherries, black raspberries and mulberries are done for the season.....the blueberries and black berries are almost done - the rest is growing and growing......I have been making several zucchini casseroles and I have made 4 zucchini breads so far. We are getting sick of zucchini...LOL

I'm from eastern Pa and we grow a garden, too.  Actually my wife does, I just help with the prep and put up the fence around it every year, but she has the green thumb while I take care of the pool water.

This year we don't have the variety, nor as much as you do, but we grow "salad vegetables" mainly lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, onions, and zucchini, and also some other vine stuff.  No melons this year, but some gourds. We have modest blueberry bushes behind it that still need some time to grow bigger and produce more, and the land itself yields lots of wild blackberries (I have several acres).

Out of curiosity, how large is your garden? You sound like you're really into gardening with all those things you grow! Out here in the country we used to have a 50 x 50 foot or greater, large enough to once grow corn as well, but it got to be too much (not to mention the groundhogs were tearing it apart) so we went down to more like 30 x 25, with a little more than 100 feet in fencing perimeter.  I use bright orange snow fencing.  :grin: Nevertheless, there's still enough tomatoes to feed my wife's large family!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

Pickling beets today:)

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

Another thought regarding tomatoes:  Every year I usually have a vast amount of volunteer cherry tomato plants in my garden.  This year I did not have a single sprout.  I found it strange.  Last year I had thousands and had to pull them like weeds.

Did you ever trying tomatoes in the oven sprinkled with little olive oil and spices? 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Did you ever trying tomatoes in the oven sprinkled with little olive oil and spices? 

No, I have not.  Thanks for the idea.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I have strawberry plants, watermelon, cantelope, and honeydue ...........broccoli, asparagus, onions, brusselsprouts, sugar snap peas, string beans, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, cherry peppers, habanero peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, egg plant, green and yellow zucchini.......and I have another smaller garden w/ tomatoes and herbs........I also have concord, catawba, and Niagara grapes, blueberries, cranberries, cherry, elderberry, apple, and mulberry trees, black raspberries, and black berries. The strawberries, onions, peas, beans, cherries, black raspberries and mulberries are done for the season.....the blueberries and black berries are almost done - the rest is growing and growing......I have been making several zucchini casseroles and I have made 4 zucchini breads so far. We are getting sick of zucchini...LOL

you must have 18 green thumbs :D I can just look at a plant and it will turn into a weed :red_smile:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

you must have 18 green thumbs :D I can just look at a plant and it will turn into a weed :red_smile:

Yes,I run a hospice for plants. :17:

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Mine is more like a morgue :o

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Mine is more like a morgue :o

Well,my plants will get to your place eventually. :deadthread:

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

we have a farmers market here and the prices we pay are so low that it really isn't cost effective to plant a garden unless you just enjoy it....