IGNORED

Who grows a vegetable garden and what do you grow?

angels4u

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I like alot of organic veggies.Yes,they are expensive but their are some that it is important for them to be organic.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

My brother and I planted an organic  garden together this year.  He did most of the planting.  We had cucumbers, pickling cukes,  tomatoes, green onions,  lettuce, carrots, beats, green peppers, jalapeno peppers and radishes.  We canned together  lots of dill and bread and butter pickles with the pickling cukes, a bushel and a half of tomatoes so far, will do the beets and jalapeno peppers in another week or so.   We gave lots of fresh veges away, and are still giving lots away as the lettuce (2 different kinds) and cucumbers are still growing like weeds.  I also canned about a bushel of Pennsylvania Freestone Peaches, which I think  are the best peaches on the planet .  I also hope to can some variety hot peppers and some peach jelly and applesauce when the apples come in the autumn.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

:)Your garden sounds fantastic! How did you keep the bugs out with going completely organic? Did you use fertilizer?

I did can about 12 jars of pickled beets:)

The beans are soon ready to harvest:) 

We had spinach-snowpeas-lettuce-koolrabi----

My daughter and husband are the gardeners'I would love to do it but my back will not allow me to do too much of that kind of work.

I did make black current jelly,the neighbors had black currents for sale-this is delicious jelly'it's tricky to boil it until it starts to gel!

It's so nice to have fresh veggies----

I like alot of organic veggies.Yes,they //are expensive but their are some that it is important for them to be organic.

Which ones are important Bopeep?

we have a farmers market here and the prices we pay are so low that it really isn't cost effective to plant a garden unless you just enjoy it....

I love farmers markets and you're right a lot of stuff you buy there are cheap ,jams and pickles are very expensive--

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

:)Your garden sounds fantastic! How did you keep the bugs out with going completely organic? Did you use fertilizer?

My daughter and husband are the gardeners'I would love to do it but my back will not allow me to do too much of that kind of work.

I did make black current jelly,the neighbors had black currents for sale-this is delicious jelly'it's tricky to boil it until it starts to gel!

I luv pickled beets!  :heart:  Yummy!

My brother made what is called a "Raised Bed" garden, which yields up to 4 times more of lush vegetables than gardens on the ground.  The garden is waist level, as you can see in the below picture, very easy to weed out, no bending, no sore knees or backs, just go out the door and grab some veges and make a fresh garden salad every night.  I forgot to add we had lots of spinach too.  Never had a problem with insects.  :mgcheerful: The seeds and soil are organic.  It's amazing how much fresh produce we got from this garden all summer, and are still getting.  Some of the beets are as big as a softball!  This picture was taken before the cucumbers grew and are planted on each end of the garden and the vines now completely cover the trellis on each end.  He made the Raised Bed garden  near his house so he doesn't have a problem with the deer getting into it.

Under the United States Department of Agriculture, the definition of organic means that the produce is generally free from synthetic chemicals, antibiotics and hormones and has not been irradiated or fertilized with sewage and was grown without the use of pesticides and contains no genetically modified ingredients.

052.jpg?w=300&h=225

I luv pickled beets!  :heart:  Yummy!

My brother made what is called a "Raised Bed" garden, which yields up to 4 times more of lush vegetables than gardens on the ground.  The garden is waist level, as you can see in the below picture, very easy to weed out, no bending, no sore knees or backs, just go out the door and grab some veges and make a fresh garden salad every night.  I forgot to add we had lots of spinach too.  Never had a problem with insects.  :mgcheerful: The seeds and soil are organic.  It's amazing how much fresh produce we got from this garden all summer, and are still getting.  Some of the beets are as big as a softball!  This picture was taken before the cucumbers grew and are planted on each end of the garden and the vines now completely cover the trellis on each end.  He made the Raised Bed garden  near his house so he doesn't have a problem with the deer getting into it.

Under the United States Department of Agriculture, the definition of organic means that the produce is generally free from synthetic chemicals, antibiotics and hormones and has not been irradiated or fertilized with sewage and was grown without the use of pesticides and contains no genetically modified ingredients.

052.jpg?w=300&h=225

I never seen it raised that high! Wonderful:)

My husband made raised garde nbeds this year,but they are much lower to the ground:) I'm amazed how much of a harvest we get from those beds! And no weeds~~~~!

Your garden is amazing,

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

That's a really beautiful raised bed!  I'm just getting started on developing my kitchen gardens.  Raised beds and chickens are on the agenda for next season!

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all,

When I first moved from NY to Fla I had a huge yard and decided to grow tomatoes(coming from a Sicilian family it is a sacrilage to buy canned).Having no knowledge of gardening ,I called my dad who instructed me how to prepare the soil by turning it,about 3-4 mos preparation,just as his father taught him(dates back to Adam or Adamo).....Finally the soil was ready and I planted the seeds and nurtured them as I did my first born....finally,I saw little plump red tomatoes....they grew the size of cantelopes...I tasted one....praise the Lord,it was straight from heaven!!!!

Well,I bought jars and thought,"Ahh,tomorrow I will pick my tomatoes and get to work"....I woke up the next morning and went out to the garden of paradise..............................and every single tomatoe,leafs and all were chewed to bits...............nobody told me you have to plant marigolds around them because of the beatles in Florida

Progresso has real could canned crushed tomatoes!

I quit!   Love,Kwik

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I have strawberry plants, watermelon, cantelope, and honeydue ...........broccoli, asparagus, onions, brusselsprouts, sugar snap peas, string beans, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, cherry peppers, habanero peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, egg plant, green and yellow zucchini.......and I have another smaller garden w/ tomatoes and herbs........I also have concord, catawba, and Niagara grapes, blueberries, cranberries, cherry, elderberry, apple, and mulberry trees, black raspberries, and black berries. The strawberries, onions, peas, beans, cherries, black raspberries and mulberries are done for the season.....the blueberries and black berries are almost done - the rest is growing and growing......I have been making several zucchini casseroles and I have made 4 zucchini breads so far. We are getting sick of zucchini...LOL

Well...dad planted a garden, we have pretty much everything. Tomatoes, radishes, carrots, green beans, blueberries...etc...