• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I think the clue lies in your last statement... "huge difference between admonishing and judging"

On this forum I see much more of the former and not much of the latter.

Unfortunately some Christians think everyone is just out to judge out them....which is really sad... when one could really grow spiritually through the admonishing. Its not always easy accepting the admonishment but that is another avenue The Lord has chosen for us to walk.

how does one tell the difference?

how does the one doing the admonishing know if they are admonishing or judging?

I am a cynic that is for sure, but I have seen prayer request used as a means to gossipp, I have seen praise time used as a means to brag.

lately in my interactions with Christians I see a lot more judgment than I do admonishing.  

Please help me to differentiate between them

Back to the Word...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I think the clue lies in your last statement... "huge difference between admonishing and judging"

On this forum I see much more of the former and not much of the latter.

Unfortunately some Christians think everyone is just out to judge out them....which is really sad... when one could really grow spiritually through the admonishing. Its not always easy accepting the admonishment but that is another avenue The Lord has chosen for us to walk.

how does one tell the difference?

how does the one doing the admonishing know if they are admonishing or judging?

I am a cynic that is for sure, but I have seen prayer request used as a means to gossipp, I have seen praise time used as a means to brag.

lately in my interactions with Christians I see a lot more judgment than I do admonishing.  

Please help me to differentiate between them

Back to the Word...

based on the Word I see a whole lot of judgement and not very much admonishing

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I can see how fingers could possibly be pointing wildly in all directions.

Think I will just LOL! and move one.  If we could only see ourselves...........

Jesus words about the log in our own eye usually applies.

I will note this however.  There are occasions where a person has an incorrect interpretation on another's character and accuses them of things that are not intended.

Everyone take a breath.... :th_praying:   ...I think the best seats in the house are already taken anyway  

Admonishing as I have said is vastly different to judging and finger pointing...it is however trying to help your bro / sis in love...love does'nt point fingers. Look if you were to see someone about to cross a busy street whom you know has eyesight problems would you not try to warn them...or would you say nothing and watch them walk into the traffic?  What do you think the scripture I quoted is talking about?

Unfortunately, many people who are insecure within themselves really can't tell the difference, and being the one to point the finger first is just a natural defence- mechanism: for them it's about being 'right' at all costs and winning the argument every time.  Many times the truth in love doesn't even get a look in, because: "hey!  who are you to judge me???" kinda thing...

Interesting take I must say.  I would hazard to guess then, that many people right here are actually insecure when they attack others?  Is that what you are saying?

That is not what I was saying, but if that is your take....

I'm curious as to why you would believe that insecurity is the reason for inappropriately dismissing others?  Or let me put it another way;  how do you personally decide

when you believe someone is insecure?  Is it because they don't agree with you?  Is it because they question what you say or perhaps tell you that you do not 

understand what they have posted?

The point I made was that things are misinterpreted in a setting such as this.  It really does require grace and love to try to understand another's point of view and

acknowledge that you (whoever not you personally) may be wrong about them.

I agree that certain people feel threatened....I would guess that would be because they do not have the proper teaching to understand that nothing can remove

us from God's hand and that we are all secure in Him.  

I would actually agree with alphaparticle in his first response to the premise of this thread.  I cannot give serious weight to being judged or put upon by people who

are quick to respond and say "oh yes...there are people who judge others here."

The very heart of the matter is that we have all done it.  Every  single  one  of   us.   

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I have learned to check the spirit behind the words themselves.  Were they given our of anger or love and concern?  The former is judgmental and the latter admonishment.

We all have seen 2 Timothy 3:16-17 used incorrectly, and perhaps, we are guilty of doing so ourselves.  Scripture itself is not wrong, but how it is used can be.  How it is used begins at the foundation of the discussion and the spirit that is guiding your words.  We also find truth in how we speak when we read "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."  Check your heart when you are speaking truth to someone and there lays the foundation of being judgmental or admonishing.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Yes Onelight its the spirit in which it is given....but in saying that there are those who take exception to admonishment no matter how the issue is addressed...and its those people who really lose out. If some-one admonished me in a way that I felt was "in judgement" honestly I would give them the benefit of doubt as to their motive and not just put my back up against it.....the way I walk before The Lord is of the utmost importance to me so whether I'm admonished or criticized I will take it on board and do some stock taking, even though its not easy and may be hurt by it.

For me its not what or how others actions and motives are to me, but its how I am to them...because its how I walk that I will have to give an account for one day.

There is a scripture I try to keep in mind and it can be quite a challenging one sometimes:

Matt 25:40 .... .‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it for Me.’

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Yes Onelight its the spirit in which it is given....but in saying that there are those who take exception to admonishment no matter how the issue is addressed...and its those people who really lose out. If some-one admonished me in a way that I felt was "in judgement" honestly I would give them the benefit of doubt as to their motive and not just put my back up against it.....the way I walk before The Lord is of the utmost importance to me so whether I'm admonished or criticized I will take it on board and do some stock taking, even though its not easy and may be hurt by it.

For me its not what or how others actions and motives are to me, but its how I am to them...because its how I walk that I will have to give an account for one day.

There is a scripture I try to keep in mind and it can be quite a challenging one sometimes:

Matt 25:40 .... .‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it for Me.’

Total agreement.  I have a christian friend who I try to encourage - with words like: do you know how talented you are?  If I could do what you do... he's very skilled in his area of expertise, but doesn't know it.  Even with nice words like these which are very true, he takes offence to them.  He feels judged, not even admonished, definitely not encouraged. I've not seen him in a while... is he that insecure?  I don't know what his problem is, but I do know that you can't please everyone, so i just try to concentrate on what God has for me to do/say.  I pray that God gets through to him.  Know yhe truth and the truth will set you free.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to Everyone!

Firstly, I think we must all have a clear understanding of what "admonish"really means and go from there.....that is what always works for me....

According to Merriam Websters Unabridged...the definition is as follows:

Admonish...to speak to (someone)in a way that expresses disappointment or criticism,to tell or urge someone to do something.

This is the short definition of the verb,now this is from my "big book"(lol)and yet on-line there are MANY variations,such as reprimand,scold reproach,berate,chastise,warn harshly....even one went as far as defining it as"rake over the coals" & "read the riot act to".....

So,not that I think anyone does not know the definition of this word....but I do wonder which definition they apply?

I most certainly believe,in knowing our Loving Savior,that since this word is used and followed by speaking in psalms and hymns that  it is meant as urging someone to do something & expressing disappointment with the intent to encourage and correct lovingly...

In having said all of this ,my case & point is that I think the answer to the question of which one are we would greatly depend on how the admonishment was delivered & with what intent?I have spiritual mothers in Christ that have admonish me on many occasion throughout the years & they speak with so much love & mostly always by the power of the Holy Spirit,I am convicted and lead to take a good,ruthlessly honest look in the mirror,repent & move forward........When people simply want to force their opinions on you that have no Biblical foundation then,of course...I stand strong on Gods Word that I do not seek mans approval but only Gods......

As it does happen from time to time,many people will take scripture out of context or redefine one word to even try to make excuses for their bad behavior....for example:choosing to "rake another over the coals"...this is not what Christ exemplified...

With love,in Christ-Kwik

BTW...WIP...God bless you,in posting this topic,you have given us  wonderful "food for thought"