IGNORED

Why Will Judgment Begin In The House Of God?

Jerry1023

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

Why will judgment begin at the house of God,what do you guys think about 1 peter 4:17" for the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God:and if it first begin at us,what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

What is the house of God anyway, is that Israel, is that the Church, is that the temple, these have all been referred to as the house of God.

In the context of the verse that says this is where judgement begins, 1 Pet 4:

15Make sure that none of you suffers as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler; 16but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name. 17For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

It appears that the house of God in this context is the church.

Very often, when the question of "why" is applied to God, there are no answers. This might be the case here, but we can speculate, as long as we do not claim to know that it is true. Perhaps God believes, that since His house is informed, since they are the people to whom He has most made His will known, that they are all the more accountable for failure to do His will, and therefore should be judged first.

However, while Christians might be the first judged, true beleivers will be forgiven and spared His wrath, though they might suffer loss of rewards for their failures. In the bigger picture, there is always God's sovereignty, He answers to no one why He does what He does. It is His perogative to do what He wants, when He wants and to who He wants, without having to explain Himself. If He does not tell us why He does something, that just means we have no need to know.

If anyone knows why God has decided to judge His people first, please chime in!

Ok Omegaman here are some notes :D

Pro 11:30-31  The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.  (31)  Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner.

I'm thinking this judgement Peter talks about is the purifying of God's people. ie in the vein of Hebrews 12. While the righteous are chastened here and now the wicked receive eternal consequences. imo  This fits if we assume it's God doing the judging.

1Co_11:32  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Heb 12:6-8  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.  (7)  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?  (8)  But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

There is another line of reasoning which suggests this judgement is from the world ( suffering for the sake of righteousness ) in the same way Jesus was judged. This also sounds reasonable and fits well with Peter's encouragement to believers in the face of adversity.

It has dawned upon me that both of these could apply. Jesus was judged by the world and received chastisement because of sin ( our sin that is ).

Ps Omegaman shouldn't your tag now be Omegaman 2016 for dictator we can trust ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone..

Very true what both Mega & ninhao have responded with...it is so ironic that I was just reading this exact same study on BibleHub...their reference & explanation of this verse was almost identical to ninhao's but of course,much more elaborated upon....but it was a very good read...

As Mega noted,that in view of the content this verse is taken from we do know that Gods Word is referring to the church,it really is a beautiful promise that we will be chastised"Fatherly" which is not at all the same as the judgement of the world......Oh but for the Grace of God,how precious is the Blood of the Lamb that we will not know the Wrath of God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Why will judgment begin at the house of God,what do you guys think about 1 peter 4:17" for the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God:and if it first begin at us,what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

That is where the minister of God is to give out to the People the words of God

Once you hear the commandments of the Lord, then you will be judged what you do with it after you heard it.

We are judged everyday by God words.

We receive blessing, correction, chastisement, and even our future of life or death     before we depart.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It is also a testament to the world of God's righteousness and justice.

If He were to begin with the world, would not the world be justified in decrying God as hypocritical for allowing those called by His name to continue in evil? (And likewise would not the Christians who continued in sin feel justified in their sinful behavior?)

If He were to judge the Church and the World at the same time, would people not think there is no difference between His people and those who are not?

But if He judges His people first, it would show His people He does not accept their sinful behavior, and it shows the world that He's cleaning house before He cleans the neighborhood.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Omega, I just now noticed that after you list your hobbies and stuff, that you break into song! lol

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well.  you gotta start somewhere,,,  might as well start with the folks that knew better.

Ok Omegaman here are some notes :D

Pro 11:30-31  The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.  (31)  Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner.

I'm thinking this judgement Peter talks about is the purifying of God's people. ie in the vein of Hebrews 12. While the righteous are chastened here and now the wicked receive eternal consequences. imo  This fits if we assume it's God doing the judging.

1Co_11:32  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Heb 12:6-8  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.  (7)  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?  (8)  But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

There is another line of reasoning which suggests this judgement is from the world ( suffering for the sake of righteousness ) in the same way Jesus was judged. This also sounds reasonable and fits well with Peter's encouragement to believers in the face of adversity.

It has dawned upon me that both of these could apply. Jesus was judged by the world and received chastisement because of sin ( our sin that is ).

Ps Omegaman shouldn't your tag now be Omegaman 2016 for dictator we can trust ?

I haven't decided if I will run again, but if I do and am elected dictator, my first act will be to declare my dictatorship retroactive to 2012, so that I can more easily fix this mess. Thanks for the question.