pg4Him

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  493
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

I've been a believer for about 15 years now. During that time, I've always tried hard to be involved in a church family. In the first few years, it seemed easy, but within the past decade it has been very difficult, getting harder all the time. We moved to our current city three years ago, and in that time we seriously have not been able to find a church we like. People are very nice and the sermons/worship are okay, but none of them seem to have any "oomph."

But really, the churches themselves are not what disturbs me. I've noticed a change among Christians in general. The ones I see in daily life, on facebook, at work, in my family... it seems they've all gone downhill. They never discuss the Bible unless it's to call someone a hypocrite. They seem more concerned about being popular and being liked by sinners, and they're scared to death of being seen as judgmental. Many of them are just shallow and vapid. They post photos of themselves drinking shots at a club in skimpy outfits - stuff that's so tacky even my nonbelieving friends have more class than that.

I watch people flounder in sinful lifestyles, going further into drug abuse, losing their marriages and their children, and no one steps in. If you say anything, you have 'Christians' coming out of woodwork to parrot some blather about thou shalt not judge. They're not around when you need help or advice, but they're johnny-on-the-spot when they see a chance to jump on you. I just don't get it.

It struck me tonight when I was chatting with a close friend who doesn't believe. I realized I would rather talk to him than most of the believers I know, and that really hurt me. I realized he had more class and self-control than some of my believer friends. And I realized I couldn't trust many of my believing friends to help me witness to him because I would be embarrassed to admit I know them.

I feel alone. I feel like I'm being bullied by the very people I should count on. Is there something wrong with me? Am I doing something wrong?

I think in the reality of things is that there are really very few true Christians. Lots of people believe in God, lots of people attend church to feel good about themselves or to look good for others, but in reality. Very few people are true followers of Christ. I am sorry I have no advice for you. But I understand fully what you are saying.

I was a Catholic, and I have had my share of disillusionments and pains brought by churches that are going downhill. And so I understand and empathize with you, pg4Him.

Also, I agree with LadyKay, that there are only very few true Christians left today... that is, only if we look for them in our immediate surroundings. Because I believe, and I think I'm right, that there are still millions of us true followers of Christ in the world. The problem is that we are very scattered. You can get an idea of just how many true Christians there still are, and be encouraged by the fact that the true Body of Christ is not only alive and kicking but experiencing a worldwide revival, by visiting WorldChallenge.org and LivePrayer.com.

Anyway, I myself don't have a church yet. I'm still waiting for God to lead me to the right one. I'd been hurt so much by the last community I was with, and so I promised myself that I will not join any other unless it's the one God has in his mind for me.