IGNORED

Parents long ago stood in long lines with their children to see Santa

YeshuasPrincess

Remember when life as simpler? You could be a Christian and put up a Christmas tree without anyone accusing you of worshiping trees. You could tell your kids stories about Santa without anyone making Santa out to be Satan. The guy who wrote the  poem "Night Before Christmas" was a minister, who wrote it as a bedtime story for his children. Sometimes I think we Christians try to complicate everything. Looking for evil at every turn. We have grown afraid to have fun , for fear that it may lead to evil in someway. This does not just go along with Christmas, but in almost every holiday. You can't even carve a pumpkin on Halloween without some one accusing you of worshiping the devil. Is this really how we want to live? Fearing that Christmas tress and pumpkins will send us and our children to hell? :soapbox:

if the child believes it's the actual Cinderella from the book, then yes, they are lying.

Seriously? Are we now going to argue about Cinderella? :30:

Why do you care?  Why do people get so upset because others think certain things are wrong?  I put up a Christmas tree, and it doesn't bother me some people accuse me of doing something that was an idolatrous OT practice.  I celebrate Christmas in spite of all the attacks each year.  I don't get upset because people are trying to save me from doing wrong.  Why can't people just accept that we all look at things different, and in a message board, we won't all agree?  I don't believe in lying to kids about Santa Claus and fairy tale characters, but I have made it clear I don't believe in interfering with what parents do, even if they don't agree with me.  If asked, I will give my opinion, but nobody has to agree. 

Okay I see now. You all who are, I guess for lack of a better term anti-Santa can just post on here and tell  how you all feel about Santa.And us pro-Santa people are just suppose to sit back and not say boo. It is really not much fun debating against people who are all on your side.( can you debate against people who agree with you) :confused:  But if  my disagreeing point of view is no longer welcome. I will move on to the next topic and let all the anti-Santa people talk among yourselves. Carry on.

No you don't see.  I am saying we don't get offended because people disagree with us.  We don't get upset because others believe teaching Santa Claus is ok.  Your side gets mad that anyone would actually think teaching Santa Claus is wrong, and they set out to stomp out the opposing view.  I have no interest in stomping out your view.  I want to hear your side.  You are attacking the people for  holding the position they do. 

I am not offended. Could you please point out to me how you think I am attacking you. I felt that I wrote a very nice post on how life use to be simpler. Next thing I know I have people accusing me of attacking them. A disagreement is not an attack. You say you want to hear my side. But then when I post my side you accuse me of attacking you. So which is it?

I did not realize I would upset someone by picking the wrong icon. Perhaps if people feel certain icons are hurtful, maybe they should be removed.

Perhaps it was a bit of a generalization LadyKay?  I am thinking of all the things that have been written in this thread by different people, and my general observations about those on the pro-Santa side is they are offended anyone doesn't believe like they do.  I defended your use of that icon.  I didn't even realize what it meant, and I have picked one out and it wasn't what I thought it was.  I know you have been falsely accused of saying things you didn't mean.  We all have.  People misunderstand something we post, and go off.  I have misunderstood what someone said and gone off.  If I have done that to you, I apologize.  I wouldn't do it on purpose, but I can't say I have never done it, and it couldn't happen again.  I will always give someone a chance to correct my misundersanding, I will usually accept what they say as true, and that the mistake was on my part.  Again, if I in any way misrepresented something you said, I am sorry.  It wasn't on purpose.

When you read such nonsense about someone's use of an icon, you know there is stuff going on in this thread that lies under the surface.

I always thought that icon simply meant something like "listen up" or "here's a point I want to make"...I don't think it means loser...maybe in some circles,

but it seems offense is being taken where none is meant.

If someone believes that all imagination is wrong then IMO, that is a personal belief and fine to make a point but calling parents liars because of the

Santa myth and then believing that the name is an anagram for Satan and saying the name Nick is evil, is looking for demons under every rock IMO.

I don't think telling children about Santa is necessairly the way I would go, but calling parents who do decide to say the presents under the tree are from

Santa liars, sounds to me like issues that may not even have anything to do with Santa.

This has become another thread that takes up all the oxygen in the room and leaves you wondering what is really going on IMO

IMO everyone is free to have their own opinion. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

Yes Jesus is the reason for the season!  Santa Claus, Decorated Trees, Mistletoe have pagan origins but they meant different things back then.  The last thing on my mind when I see a Christmas Tree is something bad.  It triggers fond memories of family, friendship, and special times.

So yes these things may have been once associated with pagan ideals.  Can't we take those evil things and make them into something good?  I was told that the Christmas Tree represented the tree of life, the cross, and was to remember our glorified Lord.

To me it is taking things once bad and turning them around to God's glory.

As for Santa he was always just some guy with magical powers that gave out presents.  I can't really say that Santa changed my behavior or caused any deity complex.  There's even a picture of me around 3 looking up the chimney for Santa.  By age 5 or so I knew it was all just for fun and it was all about the presents anyway!

Ask any kid what Christmas means to them.  Generally if they are honest will say the loot!  Santa and everything else is just tradition to most of them.  Now having elaborate schemes to promote Santa is real is just wrong.  That might warp somebody's mind at an impressionable age.

Being a Christian I doesn't think we need to forsake all of our Christmas traditions.  As long as Jesus is remembered and lifted up then I'm sure God approves.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

When you read such nonsense about someone's use of an icon, you know there is stuff going on in this thread that lies under the surface.

I always thought that icon simply meant something like "listen up" or "here's a point I want to make"...I don't think it means loser...maybe in some circles,

but it seems offense is being taken where none is meant.

If someone believes that all imagination is wrong then IMO, that is a personal belief and fine to make a point but calling parents liars because of the

Santa myth and then believing that the name is an anagram for Satan and saying the name Nick is evil, is looking for demons under every rock IMO.

I don't think telling children about Santa is necessairly the way I would go, but calling parents who do decide to say the presents under the tree are from

Santa liars, sounds to me like issues that may not even have anything to do with Santa.

This has become another thread that takes up all the oxygen in the room and leaves you wondering what is really going on IMO

IMO everyone is free to have their own opinion. 

Sure they are.  In this thread however, there are some attacks wearing opinion skirts.  Telling others is different then putting IMO which is WHY I put IMO and I see you noticed that

Yes Jesus is the reason for the season!  Santa Claus, Decorated Trees, Mistletoe have pagan origins but they meant different things back then.  The last thing on my mind when I see a Christmas Tree is something bad.  It triggers fond memories of family, friendship, and special times.

So yes these things may have been once associated with pagan ideals.  Can't we take those evil things and make them into something good?  I was told that the Christmas Tree represented the tree of life, the cross, and was to remember our glorified Lord.

To me it is taking things once bad and turning them around to God's glory.

As for Santa he was always just some guy with magical powers that gave out presents.  I can't really say that Santa changed my behavior or caused any deity complex.  There's even a picture of me around 3 looking up the chimney for Santa.  By age 5 or so I knew it was all just for fun and it was all about the presents anyway!

Ask any kid what Christmas means to them.  Generally if they are honest will say the loot!  Santa and everything else is just tradition to most of them.  Now having elaborate schemes to promote Santa is real is just wrong.  That might warp somebody's mind at an impressionable age.

Being a Christian I doesn't think we need to forsake all of our Christmas traditions.  As long as Jesus is remembered and lifted up then I'm sure God approves.

I have no problem with those who have a conviction against celebrating Christmas, but I feel much the same as you do.  I am not joining pagans in worship of idols because I celebrate Christmas, and I don't think it is wrong to remember Jesus birth on Decmember 25 because it isn't his real birthday.  If I knew his exact date of birth, I would celebrate it on that day, but I don't, so I don't think it matters. 

Anyway, I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas.  The same to everyone else here at WB.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I think this thread has run it's course. Closed for review. This thread may or may not be re-opened.