• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

If there was one series I would watch over again, it's DS9.  I do like both new films, looking forward to the next one.  Leonard Nimoy's Spock was always my favourite character though; and the older his character got, the better I enjoyed him.  Especially his brief appearances in the new movies.

Uhura is very cool in the new moives too.  I think she deserves a movie that's all about her.  That would be very cool!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I am given to understand that most fans of Star Trek prefer to pretend that the "Enterprise" series with Scott Bakula simply never happened. 

Yeah.  I can't get past that terrible music in the intro.  Ugh.

Guest shiloh357

I am given to understand that most fans of Star Trek prefer to pretend that the "Enterprise" series with Scott Bakula simply never happened. 

Same here.

They missed an oppportunity to go a great prequel to the original series.  They messed up the timeline and they used a ship design from TNG instead of a more basic design more fitting to the types of starships in TOS. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

I like it.  Sometimes I wonder if one of our jobs in Heaven will be to explore and marvel at God's Creation.  I think I could be happy exploring the farthest reaches of the universe and taking in the beauty of it all.

I really liked Stargate Universe and was so disappointed that it got cancelled.

Sign me up!!! :)

Huge fan of star gate sg1 and Stargate Atlantis. Have yet to view Universe. That will be soon. I will buy it all on DVD from eBay.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Same here.

They missed an oppportunity to go a great prequel to the original series ...

The shoe string budget didn't help -- even the show's intro was "cheesy" compared to the other Trek incarnations.

And towards the end of the its run they wasted Joanna "Blade Runner" Cassidy's character: too little, too late to salvage this ship, so everyone just blamed Scot Bakula.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

What I loved about the original series was the creativity. Some things were (yeah) a bit hoaky. But you have to imagine the shoestring budget they had to shoot what virtually a 48 minute movie each week for 26 weeks a year. They did not have the computer processes we have today ...

... yet they still managed to win an award for special effects with its Tholian web episode.

Hollywood was in a bit of a crisis in those days with television soaring and movies waning ...

And almost every TV show was a Western such that Roddenberry had to market Trek as a "wagon train to the stars"! Roddenberry later confessed that Trek was more like morality plays in space -- he even tried to give Spock a red devilish complexion, but it didn't play well with the camera.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I personally really like Star Trek. My favorite is the Voyager series. Really like the Borg. Then probably the Next Generation or Original series. :thumbsup:

I liked Voyager as well.  I thought the Series fanale was awesome.

I have to admit when the first spin off, "Deep Space Nine" first started, I was skeptical and didn't really warm up to it until a few seasons down the road.   I could not conceive of Star Trek without the Enterprise.

I agree the series finale was great. :thumbsup:

I didn't really get into Deep Space Nine. I ended up going back and watching the Next Gen and Original series.

The latest Enterprise series wasn't really all that impressive to me. Never really watched much of it.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

You have to admit, TOS was good for poking fun at - i.e. the three most important people on the ship always beaming down to potentially dangerous unexplored planets.

My personal gripes with TNG -

What happened to "to explore strange new worlds?" What strange new worlds did they ever encounter?

The whole concept of humans having "evolved" beyond conflict resulted in the characters being rather flat. (Ensign Roe gave a welcome relief from that nonsense.)

Very little action.

Piccard was able to talk his way out of everything.

DS9 was actually my favorites of the spin-offs. Even though it wasn't "the Enterprise", the characters had more vibrant personalities than TNG did, and some interesting character dynamics and developments.

The Bashir-O'Brian friendship is my all-time favorite "odd couple" pairing developed into a series.

Voyager, IMO, started out as a good concept, but after a while things just started getting too ridiculous.

I lost interest with Enterprise early-on.

(Why was a Vulcan wearing a sexy outfit, anyway? Vulcans always wore robes.)

Anyway, those are may takes on the series.

Perhaps they were thinking along the lines of 7of9 in Voyager?

Guest shiloh357

You know what I think is interesting is that every major production studio rejected the concept of Star Trek when approached by Roddenberry and Co.  If it had not been for a small production studio started by Lucille Ball (DesiLu)  we would never have heard of Captain Kirk or the Enterprise.  I can't help but imagine that when it become same so popular, Columbia and Universal were kicking themselves.

Okay, Star Treck trivia:   What was the starship Enterprise originally going to be named before it was changed to Enterprise?

I am afraid I don't know the answer to your trivia question, but one interesting thing to note about "Star Trek" is the fact it wasn't that popular first run back in the 60s.  If I remember correctly, it never did better than 68th place in the weekly ratings, and only lasted 3 years.   None of the tv series did that well.  Many were in syndication, yet the films have been extremely popular.