Diatheosis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Yes Hollywood & the media are quite capable of fouling up a Bible story. Wasn't it NBC that had a rival ark attacking Noah's ark -- ROFL.

The best Chr movie I know of is the Gospel of John, word for word from a modern translation, only having a stupid introductory statement to placate Jewish persons & probably persons whose money was required to get the show into theaters.  Even going word for word, the visual failed at one point, where John indicates that after the Lord Jesus uttered the I AM (ego eimi) the arresters fell back & down.  It would have been great drama to have the actors do that, but they ignored what the lines called for.  The deity of Christ stands way out in the movie.

One of the worst was Solomon & Sheba, the old Yul Brenner movie.

For the Gospel of John movie, what was the introductory statement to 'placate Jewish persons'?

As is well-known, the Gospel of John says negative things about hoi Ioudaioi ("the Jews").  That makes it politically incorrect & objectionable to Jewish financiers.  Yet while there are negations about "the Jews," it is obvious that the Lord Jesus & all his disciples in John are Jews!

So there is this interpretive problem.  What does hoi (the) Ioudaioi (Jews) mean?  Does it mean "Judeans" in the negative contexts?  The text selected for the movie uses a modern translation which translates hoi Ioudaioi something like, "the Jewish authorities."  Thus Jewish readers are not so likely to find that reading anti-Semitic.

If you google on it, you should be able to find the actual words added to the movie right before the narrative starts.  It says something like,

"At the time that the Gospel of John was written, there was conflict between Christians and Jews; this story reflects that conflict."

But after that, the script is verbatim Gospel of John in the modern translation.

Ok, thanks.

I have doubts that any Jewish people who do not believe in Jesus would finance this movie so I do not believe they are trying to be sensitive to Jewish financiers.

The gospel went first to the Jewish people, and all of the apostles were Jewish. At the time this actually occurred it was a Jewish fight between Jewish people, discussing differences in interpretation of scripture, which at times got heated. Since that time, non-Jews have used these verses against the Jewish people in a prejudicial manner. For example, there used to be groups which put on 'Passion plays' to stir people up against Jews 'for being Christ killers'. So when Jewish people hear about a passion play, from past experience, it is thought to be about stirring up anti-semitism and possibly being attacked.  

Since so much has been done by people in Jesus name, against the Jewish people, it is reasonable for real Christians to have explanations so as not to be confused for those who have misused the name of Jesus to abuse.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

Qnts2 hath said:

"The gospel went first to the Jewish people, and all of the apostles were Jewish. At the time this actually occurred it was a Jewish fight between Jewish people, discussing differences in interpretation of scripture, "

How do you know that?  We not wrestle vs flesh & blood but vs principalities & powers.  Would it  not be better to say that the fight was between Believers in Jesus (who were predominantly Jewish at first) and satan?  But no doubt some saw it as you say, like Gallio at Corinth.

14 But when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said unto the Jews, If indeed it were a matter of wrong or of wicked villany, O ye Jews, reason would that I should bear with you:  15 but if they are questions about words and names and your own law, look to it yourselves; I am not minded to be a judge of these matters.  16 And he drove them from the judgment-seat.  17 And they all laid hold on Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him before the judgment-seat. And Gallio cared for none of these things.

"non-Jews have used these verses against the Jewish people in a prejudicial manner. For example, there used to be groups which put on 'Passion plays' to stir people up against Jews 'for being Christ killers'."

If you know the wonderful Oratorio, The 7 Last Words of Christ by Theodore Dubois, you may note that in his actual version the line is "And the Jews in passing by Him, did blaspheme & revile Him."  That has been changed for modern performance to like "And the crowd in passing by Him . . . ."

I can guess that some who went by the name of Jesus were stirred up vs Jews by passion plays (ignoring the Gentile role?).  But how do you know that the motive of the dramatists was anti-Semitic?

"Since so much has been done by people in Jesus name, against the Jewish people, it is reasonable for real Christians to have explanations so as not to be confused for those who have misused the name of Jesus to abuse."

Yes.  I take this to be a satanic strategy.

Once time Jones was running for office vs Smith.  The day before the election Jones got desperate since he was behind in the polls.  So he got him a panel truck, painted it up in garrish colors, outfitted it with a 3000 watt amplifier & bull horns.  And on the truck he put up big signs saying, "VOTE FOR SMITH!"  For long hours of the night before the election, Jones drove his panel truck all over town, cutting across lawns, making a huge commotion.  But the next day Jones won the election!

Edited by OneLight
Please use their real user name.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Whilst not being overtly scared of things not from God since we have the Spirit of the Father indwelling us, combined with the blood of Jesus and the Holy Spirit, with my background I tend to be cautious about anything resembling deceit. As for the film, involving such new age and occult ideologies behind the scenes, subliminal and spiritual levels are the ones to be mostly concerned about.

Just wear your Holy Spirit  goggles if you are going to see the film, so to speak. Be not afraid of the devil, just know he will try each and everything to coerce you from God's glory. The epic fail since Golgotha. Praise God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Qnts2 hath said:

"The gospel went first to the Jewish people, and all of the apostles were Jewish. At the time this actually occurred it was a Jewish fight between Jewish people, discussing differences in interpretation of scripture, "

How do you know that?  We not wrestle vs flesh & blood but vs principalities & powers.  Would it  not be better to say that the fight was between Believers in Jesus (who were predominantly Jewish at first) and satan?  But no doubt some saw it as you say, like Gallio at Corinth.

14 But when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said unto the Jews, If indeed it were a matter of wrong or of wicked villany, O ye Jews, reason would that I should bear with you:  15 but if they are questions about words and names and your own law, look to it yourselves; I am not minded to be a judge of these matters.  16 And he drove them from the judgment-seat.  17 And they all laid hold on Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him before the judgment-seat. And Gallio cared for none of these things.

"non-Jews have used these verses against the Jewish people in a prejudicial manner. For example, there used to be groups which put on 'Passion plays' to stir people up against Jews 'for being Christ killers'."

If you know the wonderful Oratorio, The 7 Last Words of Christ by Theodore Dubois, you may note that in his actual version the line is "And the Jews in passing by Him, did blaspheme & revile Him."  That has been changed for modern performance to like "And the crowd in passing by Him . . . ."

I can guess that some who went by the name of Jesus were stirred up vs Jews by passion plays (ignoring the Gentile role?).  But how do you know that the motive of the dramatists was anti-Semitic?

"Since so much has been done by people in Jesus name, against the Jewish people, it is reasonable for real Christians to have explanations so as not to be confused for those who have misused the name of Jesus to abuse."

Yes.  I take this to be a satanic strategy.

Once time Jones was running for office vs Smith.  The day before the election Jones got desperate since he was behind in the polls.  So he got him a panel truck, painted it up in garrish colors, outfitted it with a 3000 watt amplifier & bull horns.  And on the truck he put up big signs saying, "VOTE FOR SMITH!"  For long hours of the night before the election, Jones drove his panel truck all over town, cutting across lawns, making a huge commotion.  But the next day Jones won the election!

In Hitlers Nazi Germany, Hitler liked and approved of Passion plays, blaming the Jews for the murder of Christ.  This was not unusual in Passion plays in history, and often these stirred up the crowds to viciously attack Jewish communities in Europe and Russia. 

Christianity Today had an article discussing this very thing called 'Why some Jews fear The Passion' which was published around the time of Mel Gibsons movie. 

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/news/2004/feb20.html

From the Christianity today article:

Hitler employed Oberammergau in a similar fashion. He remembered that during and immediately following the Middle Ages, enraged Passion play spectators sometimes invaded the ghettos to exact revenge on Jews for killing Jesus. He hoped Christians would react similarly after viewing the Oberammergau Passion Play.

And the last paragraph:

Outbreaks of Christian anti-Semitism related to the Passion narrative have been so numerous and destructive that theologian and Holocaust survivor Eliezer Berkovits concluded, "the New Testament is the most dangerous anti-Semitic tract in human history." But neither the New Testament nor The Passion of the Christ is about Jewish deicide or revenge. Each is about God placing the iniquities of us all on his one and only son, who suffered unspeakable brutality to redeem his estranged children. Now is the time for Christians to disavow the history of Passion-linked hatred and show Jews "how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ" (Eph. 3:18).

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Qnts2 hath said:

How do you know that?  We not wrestle vs flesh & blood but vs principalities & powers.  Would it  not be better to say that the fight was between Believers in Jesus (who were predominantly Jewish at first) and satan?

While I won't argue that it was Satan warring against the believers, the claim that the Believers in Jesus were predominantly Jewish at first is rather odd.

The original believers were all Jewish!

The ~120 in the Upper Room on Pentecost were all Jewish.

The 3000 who were added to their numbers that day were all Jewish.

It was not until some unknown time later when Peter went to Cornelius that we began seeing Gentiles added into the faith.

Unless you read things differently in Acts?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

Qnts2 hath said:

How do you know that?  We not wrestle vs flesh & blood but vs principalities & powers.  Would it  not be better to say that the fight was between Believers in Jesus (who were predominantly Jewish at first) and satan?

While I won't argue that it was Satan warring against the believers, the claim that the Believers in Jesus were predominantly Jewish at first is rather odd.

The original believers were all Jewish!

The ~120 in the Upper Room on Pentecost were all Jewish.

The 3000 who were added to their numbers that day were all Jewish.

It was not until some unknown time later when Peter went to Cornelius that we began seeing Gentiles added into the faith.

Unless you read things differently in Acts?

Well, Neb, let us not strain at gnats here.  They were predominately Jewish.  Now let us have you quote a verse that says they were ALL Jewish, with no exceptions.

What about the gentile about whom the Lord Jesus said He had not seen so great faith in Israel?  What about the SyroPhoenician woman who said that the doggies could pick up scraps?  What about the Greeks who said, "Sirs, we would see Jesus."  I don't know any way to prove that no single Gentile believed.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

That "Bible" movie was the worst I've ever seen in my life.  I didn't watch the Jesus part.

Opened my eyes to this Nation when I heard how so many people loved it.  Gross errors.

I saw this "Son of God" preview.  I thought of that crap movie immediately.  No way I'm giving it my $$$

Sure, Noah is "just a movie".  I dont' think its meant to be "Biblically descriptive".  In fact, I know its not.  So, I'll probably enjoy it as "just a movie"  But this freakiest 'Son of God' movie?  Not a chance.

Muslims would never tolerate this if it were Mohamed.

... but ... WE ... are not Muslims. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

... but ... WE ... are not Muslims. 

and at least we can praise God for that......

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/04/1986

I'm hesitant about going to see it. Yeah I loved Passion of the Christ when it came out, but these kind of movies can be very tricky with the message and accuracy they are protraying to the whole world audience.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, Neb, let us not strain at gnats here.  They were predominately Jewish.  Now let us have you quote a verse that says they were ALL Jewish, with no exceptions.

What about the gentile about whom the Lord Jesus said He had not seen so great faith in Israel?  What about the SyroPhoenician woman who said that the doggies could pick up scraps?  What about the Greeks who said, "Sirs, we would see Jesus."  I don't know any way to prove that no single Gentile believed.

I see your point, but there is no record of them having heard the Gospel of salvation and being included in "the number" with the disciples and others.