IGNORED

Jephthah's daughter.

Edwin

Guest Butero

There is one thing I want to mention about this story.  Have you ever noticed that God is never directly mentioned in the story?  He doesn't send a prophet and tell anyone what to do in this situation.  Jephthah was never told by God he should make that vow, and no prophet told him he must sacrifice his daughter.  The people acted on their own out of fear.  They were more scared over breaking a vow than they were concerned about putting an innocent young lady to death.  One could make an argument that either way they went, they were violating the law.  They were faced with breaking a vow or committing an act of murder. 

I look at this story as showing the importance of being careful about the vows we make. 

UNLESS her life was redeemed with the sacrifice of an animal and she was dedicated into lifelong temple service to God. then no law was violated, and no vow was broken. and yet, it was still a personal tragedy in the lives of both the father and the daughter.

For me personally, I don't believe the women would lament her 4 days every year if an animal was sacrificed to take her place, and she only became dedicated into lifelong temple service to God.  Samuel the prophet was dedicated to the Lord, and you don't see anyone lamenting for him.  

Regardless, the notion of human sacrifice is a terrible thought, even if God never demanded it, so I hope I am wrong.  Of course, if she was sacrificed, it was obvious she was a woman of great faith and I believe she was immediately in the presence of God. 

Guest LadyC

samuel was a man. his lifelong service to the temple wasn't going to deny him the entire purpose that every woman believed her life to be during that time, which is to become a wife and mother. women in that day who could not have children were pitied, at best. and as far as i know, samuel's life in service to God didn't bring an end to his entire family line. not that i recall any siblings he may have had, but he probably had several who would carry on the family tree.

anyway, i certainly don't want to beat you up over your view. i know how that feels LOL. and i'm glad you're not going to beat me up over mine... because i'm obviously doing a very poor job at walking away from the discussion, aren't i? :(