• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

First let me say I think everyone should read the whole Bible at least once.

I have been thinking about whether to invest in a New Testament Bible.

Any pros or cons you see or encountered that I should consider? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,388
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I personally don't think you can study and really understand the New Testament without knowing the old well.

Could a person be saved by only having a New Testament......   Yeah, Probably......     but would he/she understand why????    I don't think so, and without that background would not understand the things that happen around us......     or even why we are here.

I personally don't think you can study and really understand the New Testament without knowing the old well.

Could a person be saved by only having a New Testament......   Yeah, Probably......     but would he/she understand why????    I don't think so, and without that background would not understand the things that happen around us......     or even why we are here.

:thumbsup:

Amen~!

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Hebrews 10:7

If You Want

Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, Psalms 40:7

To Know Jesus

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1:1-3

Start At The Beginning

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. Genesis 1:1-3

Guest Butero

My question would be, why would you want to do that?  I have pocket New Testaments, but I also have complete Bibles.  Other than for the sake of convenience or being able to carry the New Testament around in one's pocket, I can't see any reason for this.  It is a statement of rejection of the OT for believers today?  I believe we must look to the whole counsel of the Word of God, which means all 66 books of the canon. 

First let me say I think everyone should read the whole Bible at least once.

I have been thinking about whether to invest in a New Testament Bible.

Any pros or cons you see or encountered that I should consider? 

First, I believe we have all 66 books of the Bible for a reason. :)

Second: I understood enough from the NT to get saved, but didn't understand the full depth of things until I read through the OT also. I was a real eye opener that first time -- because the NT refers back to and quotes from so much of the OT I really could not understand the NT without the history and background of the OT. I'm not claiming a perfect understanding of the story of redemption here (far from it!) but you'll gain a great deal of understanding by going through the OT.

You may want to consider a "Read Through the Bible in a Year" type reading plan to help you do this. Its what I did, and it helped a lot, especially with parts of the OT that are not an easy read. 

You'll find a quite a few reading plans here at http://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/.

You can try a search at some of your favorite ministry sites, or in your study Bible if you have one. 

Also, if you do read others writings you need to know the whole story not to be led down some pretty snakey holds

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I don't think that there's anything wrong with a New Testament Bible, as long as you own a complete Bible and regularly study the OT, then what's wrong with having an NT Bible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Days Won:  22

May I ask, why would you buy a NT only?  (I'm assuming you have the entire Bible already)

Perhaps that might go a bit in helping to understand why you would ask.

Personally, I would have no objection to someone buying or carrying a NT only...as long they do not have the thought that the OT is water under the bridge so to speak

BTW, they do make  really handy little purse or pocket sized complete Bibles...I have one!

my zombie smart phone has seven translations (both Old and New) with strongs numbers and definitions and some other things I never use.   I think it was free.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Thanks for all the good responses. I agree with all posts. Ill be honest I dont need it;

I do own a strongs and 4 complete bibles one of which has about two yellow magic markers in it with out the case yellow ink came in. I also have 3 different prophecy bibles and quiet a few other Christian books.

I ve got a book of maps, chronological bible, Subject Bible,Encyclopedia of bible prophecy.Books like 

The blessings of brokenness

Awakening

Breakfast with Jesus

The Dream Giver

Joshua a parable for Today & Never Alone

The Harlot by the side of the Road

Purpose driven Life

Courting Disaster

Whats in the bible

Things to Come

The Stranger on the road to Emmaus