• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

Is smoking tobacco a sin?

I used to smoke once or atmost twice an year.

I'm not addicted to it.

Am I committing a sin

It is a sin to you if you believe it is a sin. You have to be persuaded within your own mind or conscious.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Mar 7:14-23

(14) And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand:

(15) There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

(16) If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

(17) And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

(18) And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

(19) Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

(20) And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

(21) For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

(22) Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

(23) All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Rom 14:21-23

(21) It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

(22) Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

(23) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

it seems to me that three principles apply to your question:

-nothing that goes into a man's mouth defiles him; only what comes out of a man can defile him

-if you're doing something that might cause someone to be misled, or take offense, or be tempted to doubt God in some way; you shouldn't do it around them even if you think it's ok

-if you don't condemn yourself in what you allow (and condemnation results from transgression of God's laws as you understand them), then for you it is not wrong - although you may see it differently as you learn more about God's laws - but if you do something that bothers you because you think it might transgress God's laws, then for you it is wrong - although you may see it differently as you learn more about God's laws - it's all about what's in your heart when you do it

from my own understanding,you absolutely misunderstood the passage you quoted from the bible,what you are insinuating is not what the bible mean,I believe the bible said a drunkard will not enter into heaven,were does alcohol enter, is not through the mouth,can the Holy Spirit ask someone to start smoking,but the Holy Spirit can ask somebody to stop smoking,the bible said by their fruit we shall know them,a genuine born again can never smoke,

i'm new here; let's don't get off to a bad start; if you disagree, so be it.  IMO you would not be wise to expect to convince a new member that he is wrong with phrases such as 'absolutely misunderstood the passage you quoted' or 'what you are insinuating is'.  let's both honor the OP's request for light and, not attempt debate.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

There is no way the issue of a bad start will show it ugly face in the house of God,i never mean to offend you,we are here to learn to the glory of God,to help our christian life and our walking relationship with God,all iam trying to point out is that it is not right to encourage a fellow believer to smoke.

Guest LadyC

jerry, i get that you are new here, and no offense... but please don't EVER make the accusation that a truly born again christian can never smoke. that is the equivalent of YOU judging a person's heart and relationship with God. i am a truly born again Christian, and have been for more than 40 years. and yet, i smoked for more than 30 of those years. there are a lot of born again christians with a true dedication to God here on these forums that still smoke.

many christians do. and God works on us all in HIS time. for some people, He may be working in other areas of their life before dealing with them on the smoking issue. don't put yourself in God's seat.

• Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Is smoking tobacco a sin?

I used to smoke once or atmost twice an year.

I'm not addicted to it.

Am I committing a sin

Smoking tobacco isn't a sin. Sin is deliberately breaking God's law. Where does the Bible say we people shouldn't smoke?

It is unwise to smoke. But not sin. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

Just because no passage in the bible out rightly condemed tobaco or smoking;does that mean smoking is good? James 4:17 says"Anyone then,who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it,sins.(NIV) A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough. Galatians 5:9"

Drinking alcohol excessively is not good. But drinking alcohol in moderation isn't sin. The Bible says don't be drunk. As far as smoking goes there's not a command to not smoke. It doesn't make it good. Smoking clearly has serious bad long-term effects and can be very addictive. However, it is not sin. It is probably unwise.

This is this is a classic example of the difference between Biblical truth, personal conviction, and personal preference.

God bless,

GE

Guest shiloh357

It is fallacious reasoning to argue that the Bible has to actually list a particular act a sin for us to consider it a sin.   One of these days, your kids will use that kind of reasoning on you when you set rules and guidelines for them to live by when they get older (every kid does) and you won't let them get away with it.

the Bible doesn't say spousal abuse or child abuse is a sin, either.  

Re: Spousal Abuse... Goes against how people should treat each other in the Bible.

1 Peter 3:7

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Eph 5:22, 25, 33

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Colossians 3:19

Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

the Bible doesn't say spousal abuse or child abuse is a sin, either.  

Re: child abuse... Goes against Scripture as well..

Proverbs 19:18

Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death.

Ephesians 6:4

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Colossians 3:21

Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.

Proverbs 6:16-10

16 There are six things that the Lord hates,

seven that are an abomination to him:

17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,

and hands that shed innocent blood,

18 a heart that devises wicked plans,

feet that make haste to run to evil,

19 a false witness who breathes out lies,

and one who sows discord among brothers.