• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Golden Eagle....

I hear Scripture paraphrased all the time & most of the time it is okay s long as they have the the correct interpretation/definition  but then there are times when that "one little word" can change everything & it can lead to dangerous assumption......what comes to mind is "None  shall/will perish but have everlasting life"

John 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2 Peter 3:9 (KJ21) | In Context | Whole Chapter

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Big difference between ""should" & "shall",,,,,,,,,this is why I believe it is of utmost importance that every believer read Gods Word for himself & not simply take another mans word for what God says,,,,                                                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

1. Moderation in all things. 

From the book of Ecclesiastes chapter 7: "Do not be over-righteous, nor be over-wise - Why destroy yourself? 

do not be over-wicked, and do not be a fool - Why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. 

the man of God will avoid all extremes."        

Of interest moderation was a Greek virtue and talked about regularly.

Note too this was an OT passage. I don't think we should love God in moderation.

I don't think we should show mercy in moderation. I don't think we should teach the Gospel (Jesus is the only way) in moderation.

What do you think?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/21/1945

Thank you Golden Eagle for responding to my comment. On some of the other sites, I go to I have used the phrase: "fanaticized consciousness." Becoming overly fanatical about some things, regardless of the person's orientation to life and as to whether it is Christian or secular it is more often than not counterproductive.

I suppose that it is a matter of semantics; the terms over-righteous and over-wicked seem to be odd terms. I have studied that scripture in four different Bible translations and here is the translation from the Amplified Bible:

Be not [morbidly exacting and externally] righteous over much, neither strive to make yourself [pretentiously appear] over-wise; why should you [get puffed up and] destroy yourself [with presumptuous self-sufficiency]?     

[Although all have sinned] be not wicked overmuch or willfully, neither be foolish; why should you die before your time?

It is good that you should take hold of this, and from that withdraw not your hand; for he who reverently fears and worships God will come forth from them all.

Although this scripture is from the Old Testament it in my opinion draws a good picture of the Pharisees in the New Testament.

Edited by gamnot

Prov. 16:18 Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.

1 Cor. 10:13-14 No temptation has overtaken you except is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Luke 6:31 NKJV And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise.

And others have mentioned "for the love of money is the root of all evil."

These are the only ones I know of that have their roots in scripture.

Blessings,

Willa

Good reminders sister :)

Blessings Golden Eagle....

I hear Scripture paraphrased all the time & most of the time it is okay s long as they have the the correct interpretation/definition  but then there are times when that "one little word" can change everything & it can lead to dangerous assumption......what comes to mind is "None  shall/will perish but have everlasting life"

John 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2 Peter 3:9 (KJ21) | In Context | Whole Chapter

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Big difference between ""should" & "shall",,,,,,,,,this is why I believe it is of utmost importance that every believer read Gods Word for himself & not simply take another mans word for what God says,,,,                                                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

Good point in the difference between should and shall... yes, we need to read God's Word (Bible) for ourselves with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and not rely on other people's words or opinions. :thumbsup:

Thank you Golden Eagle for responding to my comment. On some of the other sites, I go to I have used the phrase: "fanaticized consciousness." Becoming overly fanatical about some things, regardless of the person's orientation to life and as to whether it is Christian or secular it is more often than not counterproductive.

I suppose that it is a matter of semantics; the terms over-righteous and over-wicked seem to be odd terms. I have studied that scripture in four different Bible translations and here is the translation from the Amplified Bible:

Be not [morbidly exacting and externally] righteous over much, neither strive to make yourself [pretentiously appear] over-wise; why should you [get puffed up and] destroy yourself [with presumptuous self-sufficiency]?     

[Although all have sinned] be not wicked overmuch or willfully, neither be foolish; why should you die before your time?

It is good that you should take hold of this, and from that withdraw not your hand; for he who reverently fears and worships God will come forth from them all.

Although this scripture is from the Old Testament it in my opinion draws a good picture of the Pharisees in the New Testament.

Please expand on these ideas in bold. It's very interesting. :thumbsup:

For some reason, I am having trouble creating a quote for this comment. I also tried copy and paste and that didn't work either. I will try again and I want to see how this comment comes out.

We are instructed to love mercy and to do justly in the Old Testament. Loving mercy is something that relates to our understanding. Doing justly relates to our words and actions; praxis. I am afraid that I might be getting off the topic, but I think that this is an interesting point. If we were caught up in a triage situation were there is a perpetrator and a victim, siding with the victim means that we have to act against the perpetrator and if for whatever reason we try to side with perpetrator in some way, it could only be at the expense of the victim. That kind of situation presents a dilemma as to what exactly we should do. A perpetrator, especially a cultic person or persons might not have a good conception of love and mercy and it can be difficult to communicate those meanings to him or her. The point is that sometimes there is not a window of opportunity to communicate mercy on the perpetrator if we are trying to be merciful to the victim.

There are some more things I could say on this topic and I will as time permits.

The fanaticized consciousness is a term used the Philosopher Gabriel Marcel, according to him it represents a modern form of idolatry. Take the polarization between those who believe in progress and who are in contention with traditional oriented people. The liberals like to preach that conservatives hate the poor, while the conservatives contend that liberals falsely believe that money grows on trees.

The fanaticized consciousness is a term used the Philosopher Gabriel Marcel, according to him it represents a modern form of idolatry.

Take the polarization between those who believe in progress and who are in contention with traditional oriented people.

The liberals like to preach that conservatives hate the poor,

while the conservatives contend that liberals falsely believe that money grows on trees.

~

Idolatry Indeed

They're Both On The Same Coin

On One Side Is "We" On The Other Side Is "I' Yet The Coin Remains "Man"

Thus says the LORD: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5 (ESV)

As For Me And My Wife, We Will Trust In The LORD

“Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7 (ESV)