• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I watched this movie once. In the movie when Jesus was carry his cross, a lady wiped his face, and on the cloth it had Jesus face on it. Did that happen. I didn't see it in bible.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I think you are referring to the RCC teaching/tradition of saint Veronica and the veil of Veronica.

There is no reference to the story of St Veronica and her veil in the canonical Gospels. 

I think you are referring to the RCC teaching/tradition of saint Veronica and the veil of Veronica.

There is no reference to the story of St Veronica and her veil in the canonical Gospels. 

:thumbsup:

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

When I searched online about the veil of Veronica, it is said to be also linked to the shroud of turin.

The prophet of God Isaiah, speaks the most detailed of what Jesus face and body endured before going to the cross.

Isaiah 52:14  -  As many were astonished at thee; His(Jesus) visage(face) was so "marred" more than any man, and His(Jesus) form(body) more than the sons of men.  

What Isaiah speaks tells me that Jesus face was not recognizable and his body was so mangled also, more than any mans has ever been.  If anything touched Jesus face or His body it would have had nothing on it but blood, the garments of Jesus, that the soldiers parted among themselves was blood soaked, how could they have not been, if Jesus face and body was more marred than any mans has ever been.  Blood represents the life, no blood no life, this is what they wanted, to take Jesus life, but instead of taking His life, He is the One that gave His life so we could have life. 

Leviticus 18:11  -  For the "LIFE OF THE FLESH IS THE BLOOD:" and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul.   

Matthew 27:26  -  Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified.

Matthew 27:28  -  And they stripped Him,(Jesus) and put on Him a scarlet robe. 

Matthew 27:31  -  And after that they had mocked Him, they took the robe off from Him, and put His(Jesus) own raiment on Him, and led Him away to crucify Him.

Jesus was scourged, and stripped of His clothing so they could mock Him with a scarlet robe, only Kings wore scarlet robes, and afterwards they put His own clothes back on Him, then led Him away to be crucified. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

While the shroud of Turin has been dated to around the time of Christ, there is no evidence that it was that of Christ.  Many thousands of people were crucified during those times.  It was a very sadistic practice.  I don't believe any legends that are not in the Bible.    

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,246
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

John 21:24-25

24 This is the disciple who bears witness of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his witness is true.

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books which were written.

NASB

While I would agree that you can't rely on them as scripture, one shouldn't disregard them altogether.

I might just say that whether or not this shroud has an image of Jesus on it really doesn't matter to me and I don't think should anyone.  One way or the other, what does it change.    I think the things recorded in the Bible are the things that are needed to believe.....   Relics have been downplayed the whole history of God for we as humans tend to make idols of them.

If we knew without any doubt that the shroud was actually the image of Jesus, how many people would bow down and worship it?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

John 21:24-25

24 This is the disciple who bears witness of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his witness is true.

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books which were written.

NASB

While I would agree that you can't rely on them as scripture, one shouldn't disregard them altogether.

I might just say that whether or not this shroud has an image of Jesus on it really doesn't matter to me and I don't think should anyone.  One way or the other, what does it change.    I think the things recorded in the Bible are the things that are needed to believe.....   Relics have been downplayed the whole history of God for we as humans tend to make idols of them.

If we knew without any doubt that the shroud was actually the image of Jesus, how many people would bow down and worship it?

So true other one.  look what people bow down and worship today even without proof.  I believe that Jesus purposely did not leave any dna, images or even fingerprints behind.  He knows the heart of men.  Can you imagine the number of wars and lives lost battling over the possession of such relics?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

You all had such interesting answers. Very informitive.

....While the shroud of Turin has been dated to around the time of Christ.... 

....there is no evidence that it was that of Christ....

:thumbsup:

One Wrap

The two were running together, but the other disciple ran faster than Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down and saw the strips of linen cloth lying there, but he did not go in. John 20:4-5 (NET)

Or More?

Then Simon Peter, who had been following him, arrived and went right into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen cloth lying there, and the face cloth, which had been around Jesus’ head, not lying with the strips of linen cloth but rolled up in a place by itself. Then the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, came in, and he saw and believed. John 20:6-8 (NET)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know about Catholic teachings re; veil of Veronica.
I do know about the the Sudarium of Oviedo, though there is no image upon it.