• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello all,

I have some queries on covetousness.

I have long thought about how I can increase my income and have set my sights on getting this one job which has almost become an obsession.

I pray to God everyday, but is it wrong for me to want to better myself to have more money so that I can have a secure and stable future for me and my family?

Should I be content with what I have and just continue the way I am going?

I am confused with the tenth commandment about covetousness, what is ok to desire and what is not?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless

And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; 1 Thessalonians 4:11

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Hello all,

I have long thought about how I can increase my income and have set my sights on getting this one job which has almost become an obsession.

I pray to God everyday, but is it wrong for me to want to better myself to have more money so that I can have a secure and stable future for me and my family?

I am confused with the tenth commandment about covetousness, what is ok to desire and what is not?

God Bless

are qualified for this job is in the same company working  with same people or some where else?

Is this job you seek open ?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the replies.

The work for which I am striving for is in a completely different industry to which I am currently doing. I am not looking to disadvantage anyone or climb over anyone or deceive anyone to get this work, just earn more money, that is, I suppose, one of my primary motivators.

I really feel that I need a higher income than I am getting now.

Does this qualify for coveting, since I really really desire this position?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Only you can answer that question.  There is nothing wrong in being promoted for good work.  There is nothing wrong with being paid well.  So the question comes down to why you want this so badly.  If it is to support your family, I see nothing wrong in that either.  If it is to just have more money for "stuff", I would suggest to check your intentions of your heart.  The answer is there, if you are willing to accept it, either way it goes.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings sammm

I think you may be misunderstanding the 10th commandment as it is a little different that just the definition of the word"covet"

Full Definition of COVET
transitive verb
:  to wish for earnestly <covet an award>
:  to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably
intransitive verb
:  to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another
— cov·et·able adjective
— cov·et·er noun
— cov·et·ing·ly adverb
                                                                                                                      see full definition in Mirriam Webster

God is warning us about a condition of our heart ,our intent.....I think "Wikipedia" gave a clear definition of the command as follows

You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

— Exodus 20:17 (NIV)

Unlike the other commandments which focus on outward actions, this commandment focuses on thought. (But Bible Scholar Joel M. Hoffman argues that "covet" is a mis-translation and the original Hebrew means "take.")[6] It is an imperative against setting one’s desire on things that are forbidden. One commandment forbids the act of adultery. This commandment forbids the desire for adultery. One commandment forbids stealing. This commandment forbids the desire for unjust acquisition of another’s goods. The New Testament describes Jesus as interpreting the Ten Commandments as issues of the heart’s desires rather than merely prohibiting certain outward actions.                                                                                                                                                          Wikipedia

Only you know what your true intentions are(you & God).......there is nothing wrong with wanting to succeed and provide more for your family,perhaps the "obsession" part is not the best ,trust God for what is best for you & your family,that His Will be done...in His perfect time & for His perfect purpose........He knows the desires of your heart......seek His desires for you,they may be different than your own

With love in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Thanks for the replies.

The work for which I am striving for is in a completely different industry to which I am currently doing. I am not looking to disadvantage anyone or climb over anyone or deceive anyone to get this work, just earn more money, that is, I suppose, one of my primary motivators.

I really feel that I need a higher income than I am getting now.

Does this qualify for coveting, since I really really desire this position?

Why do you need a higher income than you have now? What are you wanting to buy or spend money on?

There's nothing wrong with hard work and further education in order to get a different job in an industry you'd like to work in.

Proverbs 10:4

Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, but the hand of the diligent makes rich

Proverbs 12:14

A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his words, and the deeds of a man’s hands will return to him.

Proverbs 13:11

Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it.

Proverbs 14:23

In all labor there is profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Hello all,

God Bless

the context of the scripture seems to me to be saying that you should not want your neighbors stuff......    it's seems ok to admire it, or to work to attain one like it (if you don't make it an obsession) but not to want his.

Coveting is the first step in becoming a thief.

Work toward getting this other job, and if it's Gods will for you he will help it happen......            but not knowing you or what it might do to you and your family, it's hard for me to pray for you to get this job.    For all I know it might wreck your family life and cause all kinds of hardships.

So what I will pray for is for Gods will to work out in your life for long term peace and stability in your family.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I seek to make the most of my time, talent and resources in this life. There is nothing wrong with being rich or enjoying the fruit of ones labors. I refuse to make temporal success the center of my attention and goal setting.  I need 90% of my time to focus upon and work toward helping others around me come to know and love God while increasing my conscious contact with God myself. Let us focus on building God's house and leave ours up to him to build.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,374
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Only you can answer that question.  There is nothing wrong in being promoted for good work.  There is nothing wrong with being paid well.  So the question comes down to why you want this so badly.  If it is to support your family, I see nothing wrong in that either.  If it is to just have more money for "stuff", I would suggest to check your intentions of your heart.  The answer is there, if you are willing to accept it, either way it goes.

I believe this to be the excellent advice from our family here... I would like to

engage your thinking about riches and The Good Lord's warning about them

Matt 13:22

22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth

the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of

riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

KJV

The soil of this verse is the USA today and we see her fall by societal focus of

'the life to live' and people have cherry picked the council of God's Word to say

it's the love of money / it's not wrong to have money... but what about the

deceitfulness that comes with it? Plus the warning of God

1 Cor 10:12

12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

KJV

However

We are bound in the whole scenario of the council of God by the rich man whom Jesus

addressed here

Matt 19:21

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou

hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven:

and come and follow me.

KJV

as this is shadowed perfectly with this

Rom 6:16

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his

servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of

obedience unto righteousness?

KJV

Remembering always that we are children of eternity that have called on The Lord Jesus'

to be saved and because we are children to be forever we need to put the eternal things

into our hearts... we know this 1st creation is set for total destruction by fire and a

New Heaven and New Earth is the eternity... as this is so it is the council of a Loving

Father that says through the disciple whom Jesus loved

1 John 2:15

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.

If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

KJV

Love, Steven