IGNORED

What are some Bible verses that tell us about living a Christian life?

gigman7

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

Looking for miscellaneous verses that deal with living the right kind of Christian life.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

How about the Beattitudes (Sermon on the Mount) in Matthew 5?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,155
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Matt 22:37-40

"'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.'  38 "This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 "The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'  40 "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

NASB

Acts 2:38-39

"Repent , and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

NASB

Rom 10:

confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord,

NASB

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Thank you gigman7  for your question, I do hope the following will be of help.

Leading Guidance, and direction.

I hope that what follows will be of help to you in understanding just where I am coming from on this subject.

Someone once said to me,

"We all believe in the work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, but to what extent, and exactly how does He manifest Himself ? That seems to be the sticking point, and that's why I believe He works in different ways in different people."

My reply was.

To answer this, I will have go back to my conversion, an extract from which is given bellow.

"The Lord spoke to me in His still small voice, and said, "Why am I doing this, why am I as it were taking time off from running this vast universe to come down into this room to be with you to cause you to open my book just where I want you to open it, to read the very verse that I want you to read that tells you that I know just what your problem is, if as you say your sin is too great for me to forgive?. "

Now just what do I mean by, "The Lord spoke to me", well I did not hear anything, nor did I see anything.. It is hard to describe, but I will try, It was as if I had an awareness inserted into my thinking processes. Thinking, I would describe as a person carrying on a conversation with himself silently inside his own head. What was done to me might be referred to by the unconverted as "mental telepathy", It was not speech, but information given, which can only be communicated to others by the use of speech.

Does the Bible tell us all that we need to know ?, well yes of course it does, and what's more it tells us of the Holy Spirits activity from within us, as the following verses indicate.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.

Tell me, how does He do this?, I have no doubt that you are a son of God, and in that case, have a look at

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

If you are a son of God, then you are led by the Spirit, who will confirm the truth for you, for example,

Jhn 7:16 So Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. 
Jhn 7:17 If anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. 

But note: This will only happen if you really do want God?s will to be done.

The Scriptures verses quoted above are for all believers at all times in history, and not just for the ones to whom Jesus was speaking at the time, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

How will you know ? Could it I wonder be, ?your heart burning within you??

Luk 24:32 They said to each other, "Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?" 

Well that is exactly how I felt in my heart, when the Lord spoke to me at my conversion.

Before I close here is a practical example. Suppose I am in a crowd, and I want to give someone the "Gospel message". Who am I going to speak to?, and what am I going to say?

Well if I open my Bible, I read,

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct* your paths.

And don't forget I know also from the Word, that as I am a son, I can expect the indwelling Holy Spirit to lead me, to the one to whom He wishes to speak. I must however, adopt towards God, the same attitude that Jesus did, and as He explained at John 5:30, and also at John 14:10,

Jhn 5:30 "I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me. 

Jhn 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

Then the words that I speak will not be my words, but the words of My Father who dwells inside me, He it is who will be doing the work, and not me trying to do my fleshly best for Him, but He will only work through me if I allow Him to do so, and this is achieved only as a result of, "Not my will but thine be done".

Now, do you see how it's done.. Isn't it great being a Christian.

Bless you brother.

Edwin.

Edited by Edwin

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

James:1  :) Well.....pretty much the whole book of James :)

God Bless

Jas 1:1  James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes in the Dispersion, greeting:
Jas 1:2  My brothers, count it all joy when you fall into different kinds of temptations,
Jas 1:3  knowing that the trying of your faith works patience.
Jas 1:4  But let patience have its perfect work, so that you may be perfect and entire, lacking nothing.
Jas 1:5  But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and with no reproach, and it shall be given to him.
Jas 1:6  But let him ask in faith, doubting nothing. For he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven by the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7  For do not let that man think that he shall receive anything from the Lord;
Jas 1:8  he is a double-minded man, not dependable in all his ways.
Jas 1:9  But let the humble brother rejoice in his exaltation;
Jas 1:10  and the rich one rejoice in his humiliation, because he shall pass away as the flower of the grass.
Jas 1:11  For the sun rose with the hot wind and dried up the grass, and its flower fell out, and the beauty of its appearance perished; so also the rich one will fade away in his ways.
Jas 1:12  Blessed is the man who endures temptation, because having been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Jas 1:13  Let no one being tempted say, I am tempted from God. For God is not tempted by evils, and He tempts no one.
Jas 1:14  But each one is tempted by his lusts, being drawn away and seduced by them.
Jas 1:15  Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin. And sin, when it is fully formed, brings forth death.
Jas 1:16  Do not err, my beloved brothers.
Jas 1:17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness nor shadow of turning.
Jas 1:18  Of His own will He brought us forth with the Word of truth, for us to be a certain firstfruit of His creatures.
Jas 1:19  Therefore, my beloved brothers, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
Jas 1:20  For the wrath of man does not work out the righteousness of God.
Jas 1:21  Therefore putting aside all filthiness and overflowing of evil, receive in meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22  But become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23  For if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a man studying his natural face in a mirror.
Jas 1:24  For he studied himself and went his way, and immediately he forgot what he was like.
Jas 1:25  But whoever looks into the perfect Law of liberty and continues in it, he is not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work. This one shall be blessed in his doing.
Jas 1:26  If anyone thinks to be religious among you, yet does not bridle his tongue, but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/27/1994

These are the ones i find most helpful for a Christian life :)

Christians have to be obedient to the Lord:

And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. (‭I John‬ ‭3‬:‭5, 7-10‬ NKJV)

Christians SHOULD LIVE BY THE SPIRIT:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭24-25‬ NIV)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Christians should stay together in fellowship and care for each other's salvation:

Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” (‭I Corinthians‬ ‭15‬:‭33‬ NKJV)

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (‭James‬ ‭5‬:‭16‬ NIV)

Christians need to allow God to make them Holy like He is holy (1 Peter 1:15-16)

For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit. (‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭4‬:‭7-8‬ NIV)

to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. (‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭23-24‬ NIV)

For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭10‬:‭14‬ NIV)

and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. (‭Ephesians‬ ‭5‬:‭27‬ NIV)

Christians need to show their love and faith to God by our actions and life.

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? (‭James‬ ‭2‬:‭17-20‬ NIV)

If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (John 14:15)

Edited by ThereIsFreedom