Christian parents donated much of my inheritance

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

One thing that concerned me is that my mother believes that by doing this it might be credited to my grandfather's account by God since he was only saved on his death bed and never gave anything to the church.

She then said that if I and the kids prayed for the bibles to reach their destination that we could be rewarded in heaven too.

We will certainly pray! But I don't think it works that way ...with direct "brownie points" achieved per dollar given.

I believe God would reward us for faithfulness in praying but not in the way she is perceiving.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter since it is a done deal.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

i agree her thinking is skewed on that matter. but you can pray for God to help her see things more clearly in His time! :)

i understand your frustration! i'd feel betrayed and lied to, too, if i were in your shoes. but the problem is, it was never "your" inheritance. if it had been, your mother wouldn't have been able to donate it. i'm assuming here that your grandparents have passed away and that the house was left to your mother... please correct me if i'm wrong. in any case, if she had the sole legal authority to sell the house, and your grandparents had not made provisions in their wills for a portion of the proceeds to go to you and your sister, then it wasn't yours to begin with. 

on the other hand though, if your mother named a specific amount or percentage of the sale that she would provide to each of you, then she broke her word... and yeah, that's a legitimate reason to be angry, but it's fruitless to allow that anger to take root. and really, who among us is not guilty? whether as a parent who goes back on their word to their child, or whether as a child (even an adult child) who goes back on their word to the parent, or to a friend or a sibling or whatever, we ALL break our word. this instance just seems bigger because it is about money.

i'm not trying to sound harsh, really! but you need to let go of the anger. it will only eat you up inside and steal away precious time that could be spent loving your mom before it's too late. don't let satan use money as a way to destroy your family.

Actually, I'm not angry, just a bit disturbed is how I would put it. I don't put my trust in anything they say anymore. I am wondering how I'm going to explain it to my kids, who don't have a very high opinion of them already due to many things that they have done in the past. I am thinking I will not really go into it with them since it would do more harm than good.

I am just trying to process the situation in a godly way. I think frustrated and lied to is how I feel. To be honest I am past all the anger stuff. It has been a process of many years learning to get out from under their control and I don't hold on to anger anymore.

i agree her thinking is skewed on that matter. but you can pray for God to help her see things more clearly in His time! :)

Sure. In reality, most of this stuff won't be sorted til heaven and I have come to accept that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

What's wrong with working hard and making your own retirement........    and spending it the way you want and let your kids work hard and make thier own retirement.

No one owes you anything.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

What ministry did she give that money to?

Further, it's a done deal. Deal with it. That's the only thing you can do.

000000 It is a trustworthy organisation at least, I believe. They claim every $1.80 bible leads to a person saved. So that's pretty good if it is true.

I am "dealing with it". Just trying to process it with other Christians.

I hope your family researched carefully before making this decision.

You can always research to your own satisfaction to see if the group is listed with any of the charity or Christian ministry rating services.

Best Christian Charity Ratings

Edited name of charity per request of OP authoress.

Edited by Genesis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

My father died and left me nothing (I expected something). Years later my mother died and left me nothing (she told me that I would get something but I didn't). I still love them though and maybe I didn't deserve a penny, anyway. I could really use some money now though.

I don't dwell on it, there's no point. I expect nothing from anybody. I'll put my trust in God. If I ever do get back on my feet and start to earn money then I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't have it easy. I know people who have had everything handed to them on a plate all their lives. These people are non-believers. Their lives may be charmed but you have to remember that this life is very short.

If we do have to live through the Trib and suffer mass persecution, or even if something else happens before then (a civil war, a Global economic crash or any other such thing) I will have the comfort of knowing that I could survive on one banana a day and drink nothing but rainwater, whereas my spoilt acquaintances with their comfortable lives and nice houses wouldn't know what has hit them. They would be stomping their feet and having tantrums like toddlers.

Not that I want them to suffer, but if they did they might turn to God - you never know.

I feel like a lot of you are pretty down on me for feeling a bit upset. I wonder how many of you plan to give away most of your assets before you die?

Israel was founded on the principle of assets being handed down through the generations. Proverb talks about a godly man handing an inheritance to his children's children.

Pro 13:22

A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children

Pro 19:14

House and riches are the inheritance of fathers

Obviously I can't control the actions of my parents but I don't think I'm entirely wrong for being concerned either.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I'm giving my assets to my God daughter and her sister. I know them and I know it shall go to a good cause.

It is not our business as to how you feel about your family giving their assets to whomever they choose. At least not beyond what you have opened us up to  when you brought us into your personal business by creating this thread to do just that.

I would gently suggest that you consider meditation and introspection on how you feel about this very personal matter. Because contrary to what you have also shared here with us, it appears you are indeed quite upset as to how your family distributed their assets to others and not yourself.

Luke 12:13-21

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Hi Rose petal,
                         Welcome! :)

Those verses you mentioned came to my mind too in reference to your situation. As well as a few others.

Pro 13:22  A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

Quote: Rose petal: "Previously she had agreed to give us a substantial amount of the money and only gave us a small amount instead."

If nothing more was ever said, does sound like she missed the boat in what she had previously said.
I'm not down on you, you were not given what was promised. From what you mentioned definitely more issues with mom than just the money she mislead you on.
Nothing the matter with giving a ministry money, but not in the way she had gone about it with you and yours. I do hope she repents and comes to the Truth of Jesus Christ.
(My thinking based solely based on what you have said concerning her.) The idea of not bothering the kids with this sounds good too.
Praying for your family.

The idea of our parents leaving an inheritance is Biblical.

At the passing of my parents, they left nothing, even though both mentioned they would for myself and my siblings. As a Christian I forgave them and moved on!
The vultures did come out though, as they often do in these circumstances, it's sad to see what the love of money can do to people!
I was Born Again at the time of my mothers passing, and looked to reach out to the many lost she knew in this life. Hoping to see a few of them in the Kingdom.

I thank God however, for our real inheritance as Christians that awaits us in Christ!
That one will never be changed for those that are Born Again!

Mat 25:32-46
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Rev 21:5-7
And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.